Author Topic: New Culture & Youth plan  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: New Culture & Youth plan
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
Blooding them early gives them a chance to find out what is required & the level to adjust thier workrate
This also gives the club a look to see if they can cope with it & if not push them back

Thats not what you said in your first post.

You told us that the TAC players are ready to jump straight in and that our recruiters have picked the wrong players.

"what l'm saying when these TAC kids come into AFL they are professional trained men with the same training a AFL player do.
They are coached to play AFL as the ultimate goal. They dont need babysitting  like at Richmond. They can be chucked straight into the action."

We all seen far too many players drafted to Richmond & leave after several years
some dont even get a game. They lose interest & dont even try out at another club because they see injured players like Richo, Brown, Moore, Foley taking thier places.

How many is far too many? Two or three in the past 10 years?
Most likely not much to do with the club just player attitudes maybe?

These injured players breakdown before the game but still go out till forced to the pine & that creates a bad feeling among players who thought they would get a go
I only remember one player going into a game that looked injured before the start this year.

Some players need injections before and during a game but they are capable of playing.

The players that miss out know why they are not in the side and they would be foolish to make assumptions about other players. They know that they need to work their guts out to earn their spot back at the top level.

AFL football club culture is not at all similar to local football club culture.

Your posts make good reading but they also highlight the fact that supporters, who live and breath for the club know so little about what is actually happening WITHIN a football club....and that includes me too.

Tigermonk

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »

Ok Ekto l will make it simple to understand

Blooding them early gives them a chance to find out what is required & the level to adjust thier workrate
This also gives the club a look to see if they can cope with it & if not push them back

Thats not what you said in your first post.

You told us that the TAC players are ready to jump straight in and that our recruiters have picked the wrong players.

"what l'm saying when these TAC kids come into AFL they are professional trained men with the same training a AFL player do.
They are coached to play AFL as the ultimate goal. They dont need babysitting  like at Richmond. They can be chucked straight into the action."

TAC players are ready to play AFL when they come to the club & should fit in just like they do at all other clubs  Deledio Tambling did so there is proof.
They have gone backwards since being at Richmond & we seen that by our very own eyes all of us.

When l say blooding them means you stick them in instead of waiting 6 months to a year to find out how they go

We all seen far too many players drafted to Richmond & leave after several years
some dont even get a game. They lose interest & dont even try out at another club because they see injured players like  Richo, Brown, Moore, Foley taking thier places.

How many is far too many? Two or three in the past 10 years?
Most likely not much to do with the club just player attitudes maybe?

Ok l must have cut short my post when writing it it was meant to say quote some dont even get a game to proove themselves because the coach dont have the balls to give them a go in a crap team "
These injured players breakdown before the game but still go out till forced to the pine & that creates a bad feeling among players who thought they would get a go
I only remember one player going into a game that looked injured before the start this year.

Some players need injections before and during a game but they are capable of playing.

thats correct some players get several injections throughout the game & some get a load of them & they should not be played because thier injuries get worse during the game & are forced to sit it out on the bench & this is taking the spot of a player who needs the chance to prove himself
Tuck, Moore, Richo, Foley, Deledio, McGuane, Brown, Simmonds, Polo, Graham, just to name some are all guilty of this over the last 2 season ;D

The players that miss out know why they are not in the side and they would be foolish to make assumptions about other players. They know that they need to work their guts out to earn their spot back at the top level.

yes but they do say things & know they have to work harder but when they do work harder they dont get the chance they deserve for working hard cause the injured players who have a name get 1st choice

AFL football club culture is not at all similar to local football club culture.

l know this cause l spent many years around football clubs at all levels in Victoria

Your posts make good reading but they also highlight the fact that supporters, who live and breath for the club know so little about what is actually happening WITHIN a football club....and that includes me too.

that would have the same answer as above from being involved in football so long & knowing many players of most AFL clubs & family within the AFL + current day players & coaches, + umpiring boss is how l get to know what goes on inside clubs but not everytime you get told something does it always turn out to be correct example Sheedy was ready to take over the coaching & has conflict with March well that turned out wrong for us cause Sheeds pulled the plug until March is out just as a example.
Also make many friends when your a Junior Development Officer you get to talk to parents who see you years later & pass on info so what goes around comes around cant say anymore :shh

Hope that clear things up Ekto  :thumbsup sometimes l rush my posts cause this computer is on my workbench & its always logged in on this website while l'm working
Thats why l dont bother when people have a crack at my grammer & spelling cause l rushing through  :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »

Now Ol Smokey & myself had a decussion going about Mark Coughlan & l have not asked him lately his view on where Cogs is at  :thumbsup or his future so Smokey the ball is in your court. Lets us know. My opinion is Cogs, Pettifer & JON for Sandilands clean swap :rollin

;D

I wondered when we would conclude this one TM!

FWIW I still think that the club did all the right things in sending Cogs for that treatment OS.  Once he was re-contracted (I won't debate the smartness of doing that while he was rehabilitating)    :-\  then we had to give him every chance of recovery, especially given he was a key player in our list and former best and fairest winner.  If it was a list-clogger then maybe a different story but the club had to spend some money to protect and try to recover it's investment in it's key asset.  Hindsight tells us he recovered but not to the level we all hoped but at least the club knows now what it must do.  We both agreed it would be good if he could recover and I'm sure we both agree it's a damn shame he didn't - we sure could have used his talent around about now.

And also FWIW, I agree with you about developing and conditioning our young players.  We have generally been terrible at that for many, many years now and I would hope that our much vaunted review of all things Football Department finds this and brings about significant change.

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »

Now Ol Smokey & myself had a decussion going about Mark Coughlan & l have not asked him lately his view on where Cogs is at  :thumbsup or his future so Smokey the ball is in your court. Lets us know. My opinion is Cogs, Pettifer & JON for Sandilands clean swap :rollin

;D

I wondered when we would conclude this one TM!

FWIW I still think that the club did all the right things in sending Cogs for that treatment OS.  Once he was re-contracted (I won't debate the smartness of doing that while he was rehabilitating)    :-\  then we had to give him every chance of recovery, especially given he was a key player in our list and former best and fairest winner.  If it was a list-clogger then maybe a different story but the club had to spend some money to protect and try to recover it's investment in it's key asset.  Hindsight tells us he recovered but not to the level we all hoped but at least the club knows now what it must do.  We both agreed it would be good if he could recover and I'm sure we both agree it's a damn shame he didn't - we sure could have used his talent around about now.

And also FWIW, I agree with you about developing and conditioning our young players.  We have generally been terrible at that for many, many years now and I would hope that our much vaunted review of all things Football Department finds this and brings about significant change.

Yes l agree the best option was what you said to get the treatment,  He is at least playing football & did return to AFL & was riding on adrenalin in his first game & played well l thought.
Natrualy that game would have zapped him completely & he would have got a huge shock how quick the game had become.
The win that night was what he & RFC needed,  they pumped that theme song out & it was spine tingling stuff to everyone around.

& so l ate my humble pie that Coughlan did return to AFL football  :bow  :bow :bow  you get the tick of approval  :thumbsup

Smokey do you think that now Coughlan has had a year running around & his growing confident with his body,  that with another pre-season he could step up that next level required.
Remember when he was fit & playing some years ago the pace of the game had increased with rule changes & how elite the players had to become in fitness.

We have seen that he has become slow in leg speed & judgement with his timing & was dropped accordingly & you can see his struggling in the VFL for speed but l have seen this before with many players after recovering long term injuries & been through long recovery myself so l know what it takes on a personal level.

There is no doubt in anybodys mind that he would be playing & be plauged with the thought of breaking down & being possible career ending. l beleive he has not exerted himself fully this season.

?  Is it possible & do you think Coughlan can push himself harder now if he has that confidence in his body.

?  Would it be worth the club giving him a 1 year contract like Richo to give him a chance with a uninterupted pre-season to bring him up to the speed of the game.

?  Is it a option for the club to try trade him end of season possibly to his home state clubs or to other clubs & would they be interested

?  Is he able to adjust to the pace of the todays game.

?  Has the game gone past him in terms of not playing for many years.

?  Is this the last year we will see Mark Coughlan a AFL footballer

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
I remember reading an article with Cogs being interviewed around when he came back with him saying that he will know in a matter of months whether he is still up to AFL level footy.

I wonder what his call on that is now.

Tigermonk

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
I remember reading an article with Cogs being interviewed around when he came back with him saying that he will know in a matter of months whether he is still up to AFL level footy.

I wonder what his call on that is now.

Well he would have known what it was before he played, he just had to get the feel of it.
He would have tightened up in the legs quite a bit after every game till the body adapts to the punishment.
Players like Judd still tighten up & need time to recover during the week. More of a self confidence sort of thing.
You got to know how hard you can push yourself. muscle strains are a prick sometimes to recover from.