Author Topic: Kick Ins.  (Read 606 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Kick Ins.
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
Is there a bigger problem - gamestyle wise at the moment than our kick ins?

It's dead set embarrassing.

Whats wrong with Newman simply getting onto a 60 meter torpedo having Angus, Tyronne and Lids all 70 meters from goal.. I'd rather see us lose a 50-50 contested ball then see us try and switch play 2-3 times or handball into trouble 4-5 times in a row...
Go Tigers!

Jackstar is back

Re: Kick Ins.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
I actually disagree Popelord.
I am sick and tired on Newman kicking to a contest.
Problem is this is now our set play ( Dont know why ).
You need to hit up targets into space with team mates trying to drop off the back and then you are away ( coast to coast )
Rawlings hasnt any idea. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
It was more of a suggestion since we keep kicking to contests on the 50m arc.

I'd rather see it at the 70m from defensive goal if it has to happen.

What ever happened to the huddle lol? Surely if the team is going to zone. Huddle it up and all run to once side yo' out number the opposition 2-1. Back your ability to win the ball.

I don't have an answer more or less pointing out its a huge issue.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
Was actually really interesting last night watching Leigh Matthew analyse the Adelaide kick ins against the Hawks
The Hawthorn zone in defence was at its weakest where the 50m line intersects the boundary as there was only 1 Hawk player in that part of the ground. They just kicked into this area and made sure there was two talls against the one Hawk so they could easily win the contest and move the ball further up the ground.
Very smart and so simple even someone as dumb as Matty Lloyd could understand it
They did it all night and it worked repeatedly

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
It was more of a suggestion since we keep kicking to contests on the 50m arc.

I'd rather see it at the 70m from defensive goal if it has to happen.

What ever happened to the huddle lol? Surely if the team is going to zone. Huddle it up and all run to once side yo' out number the opposition 2-1. Back your ability to win the ball.

I don't have an answer more or less pointing out its a huge issue.

I have the answer, although I aint the coach.
Problem is that they are basically playing to Jades instructions.
On several occassions today the short kick in was on, but ignored on many occassions,
Idea is to go short ,then kick quickly long over the back of the opposition zones, have  teamates spreading into space, watch the western bulldogs, they are classics for doing  this with guys like Eagleton and Cooney being released through the corrdior.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
Was actually really interesting last night watching Leigh Matthew analyse the Adelaide kick ins against the Hawks
The Hawthorn zone in defence was at its weakest where the 50m line intersects the boundary as there was only 1 Hawk player in that part of the ground. They just kicked into this area and made sure there was two talls against the one Hawk so they could easily win the contest and move the ball further up the ground.
Very smart and so simple even someone as dumb as Matty Lloyd could understand it
They did it all night and it worked repeatedly

That is really interesting something we worked on in the U/18s this year to try and get majority of numbers to weaken the zones. Unfortunatly results didn't go our way but it was something that I thought in theory should really work. That is really fascinating thanks Infamy.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »
Our kick-ins are systematic of what's wrong with the side. We hold onto the ball far too long from a mark/free, there is little movement from those up the field, they don't run to the right spots, and they don't think two-three plays ahead  ::).

The thing that ticks me off the most is often the opposition leaves one side of the ground wide open. All we had to do is a quick kick to someone 30-40m out on the boundary and then a quick kick long to a mid running from the centre square to the AFL logo. Follow this up by a quick pick to a forward leading up. 10 secs it would take to move the ball from deep in defence to half-forward. Nup we hold onto the ball like it's still the old bloody kick-in rule until everyone is manned up and then bomb to a 50/50 contest 60m out from the opposition goal. If they get possession we gift them a goal. Dumb dumb dumb  :banghead.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
Our kick-ins are systematic of what's wrong with the side. We hold onto the ball far too long from a mark/free, there is little movement from those up the field, they don't run to the right spots, and they don't think two-three plays ahead  ::).

The thing that ticks me off the most is often the opposition leaves one side of the ground wide open. All we had to do is a quick kick to someone 30-40m out on the boundary and then a quick kick long to a mid running from the centre square to the AFL logo. Follow this up by a quick pick to a forward leading up. 10 secs it would take to move the ball from deep in defence to half-forward. Nup we hold onto the ball like it's still the old bloody kick-in rule until everyone is manned up and then bomb to a 50/50 contest 60m out from the opposition goal. If they get possession we gift them a goal. Dumb dumb dumb  :banghead.

Please dont blame the players.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
You can't purely blame the coaches. None of the players are runing hard to create options.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

Please dont blame the players.
I'm blaming both players and coaches.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd