Author Topic: Richo gets thumbs-up from March to play on next season (Age)  (Read 337 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo gets thumbs-up from March to play on next season (Age)
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »
Richo gets thumbs-up to play on next season
Andrea Petrie | August 16, 2009

RICHMOND veteran Matthew Richardson is expected to play on next year after Tigers president Gary March said yesterday that the list management committee believed he was capable of another season.

March said if Richardson's body held up and the spearhead was confident he could go around again, he would be given the opportunity.

''The list management committee have decided that if his body is good enough, he's still one of the elite players in the competition,'' March told SEN.

Richardson severely tore his hamstring earlier this season and has played just six games.

After pulling out of a recent VFL game with Coburg, the three-time All-Australian had arthroscopic surgery to his knee.

Richardson needs to play 18 more games to reach 300.

''His form was good enough and he was probably leading our best and fairest before he got injured earlier in the year,'' March said.

Richardson wants to play on, but said he would to speak with the club's new coach when he was appointed.

''I need to speak with them, see what their thoughts are (and) I need to make sure that physically I'm going to be able to perform,'' the 34-year-old told 3AW yesterday.

''If I'm confident my body is right … then I'd be really happy to play. Mentally, I'm still preparing to play.

''I don't want to be a player that hangs around and doesn't play because he's out injured,'' Richardson said.

Asked if Ben Cousins would be offered a new contract, March said: ''Given the form he's displayed and the fact that he's probably still only 80 per cent right, there's enormous upside into Ben Cousins next year.''

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/richo-gets-thumbsup-to-play/2009/08/15/1249756483006.html