Author Topic: Four Coaches and One Job  (Read 2950 times)

Tigermonk

Re: Four Coaches and One Job
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »

As for the off field stuff, I'm planning to win Tattslotto or Powerball and will use the money to disband the coteries who think their money buys them power and influence over the club. Be patient, I'm working on it ;)

:rollin Who you going to give the money too " The President"  ;D the people who run the club to get in the door  :lol They will open there arms up for a sucker like you  :lol come in Infamy. when your money has been sucked dry,  you get booted out the door which opens for the next sucker like yourself  ;D  If you were a smart man which your clearly not  :lol  you just buy a membership & enjoy going to games & spend your money elsewhere.

Bit of Advise, these buisness people get involved with clubs to bleed money into thier own ventures & of course suck players into investing into thier world or make them blind promises & nothing else
Most of them are bad buisness people looking for ways to recover  ;D take a good look at past Presidents of clubs  ;D get my drift  :lol

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:10:55 AM »

For mine, Richardson appears the best choice in terms of developing our list, Hinkley the best in terms of tactiics and Harwick somewhere in the middle. So, depending on who is chosen, will let us know what is most valued by the club and what the feel we most need.

Stripes is this accepted knowledge?

For me it is clear that Richardson can do a job on his own and that he has a passion and knack for developing young players. His career (EDFL on his own, led the setup of the Collingwood academy, went to help Essendon's youngsters who have come along alright this season) tells you this.

I'm sure Hinkley is a wonderful assistant but haven't read that he is especially tactically strong, or stronger than say Richardson or Hardwick.

I don't know anything about Hardwick other than what I saw as a player and what I read in the papers ( :help), but again I assume he is also a very good assistant.

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
I for one don't believe it is all doom and gloom.  Our list isn't as bad as everyone makes out, our recruiting up until 3 years ago was ordinary and thats what we are paying dearly for now.  We are paying dearly for the fact that we made a prelim in 01, people believed we weren't far off making a gf and we recruited poorly as a result.

Our recruiting in the last 3 years has been very good, we have some gems that will get better with experience.

One of our single biggest issues is that Terry came to the club with a clear picture and plan in his mind of what was needed to win  premiership.  Unfortunately during that time the game changed dramatically in terms of the amoutn of pressure applied all over the ground, rolling zones, defensive mindsets.  Terry's idea of speed, run, carry with no real defensive emphasis was blown out the door but unfortunately our style of play didnt change or adapt to how the successful sides were playing, that relentless ability to work hard for one another, apply pressure at every contest rather than conceding contest, having that killer instinct in every facet of our game.

These things are things that can be introduced into any group with the right person at the helm, you cant tell me that Collingwood have a team of stars...they are well drilled and want to work hard for each other.

Introducing someone like a Hardwick or a Hinkley or Richardson for that matter with a solid and intense pre season at working on the team things rather than the flairy individual efforts.  Setting team standards that wont be deviated from, instilling a level of hardness that wont be compromised regardless of the situation.  These things can be instilled over a summer period.

For these reasons I don't believe the Richmond job is insurmountable, we just all need to be on the same page and have the right mindset from the top down and it will happen. 

This is a proud club with a group of young guys that don't wish to be the whipping boys that they have been this year and are certainly up for the hard work that is required to turn it around.  Sure we will need to cull a few and have a crack at recruiting a few different types and also drafting for the future.

It can happen, and I am confident that it will happen.......

Lets all get behind whoever is appointed and watch this once proud unit return as a force.  Wont there be some egg on faces when it happens.........

Ramps

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
I for one don't believe it is all doom and gloom.  Our list isn't as bad as everyone makes out, our recruiting up until 3 years ago was ordinary and thats what we are paying dearly for now.  We are paying dearly for the fact that we made a prelim in 01, people believed we weren't far off making a gf and we recruited poorly as a result.

Our recruiting in the last 3 years has been very good, we have some gems that will get better with experience.

One of our single biggest issues is that Terry came to the club with a clear picture and plan in his mind of what was needed to win  premiership.  Unfortunately during that time the game changed dramatically in terms of the amoutn of pressure applied all over the ground, rolling zones, defensive mindsets.  Terry's idea of speed, run, carry with no real defensive emphasis was blown out the door but unfortunately our style of play didnt change or adapt to how the successful sides were playing, that relentless ability to work hard for one another, apply pressure at every contest rather than conceding contest, having that killer instinct in every facet of our game.

These things are things that can be introduced into any group with the right person at the helm, you cant tell me that Collingwood have a team of stars...they are well drilled and want to work hard for each other.

Introducing someone like a Hardwick or a Hinkley or Richardson for that matter with a solid and intense pre season at working on the team things rather than the flairy individual efforts.  Setting team standards that wont be deviated from, instilling a level of hardness that wont be compromised regardless of the situation.  These things can be instilled over a summer period.

For these reasons I don't believe the Richmond job is insurmountable, we just all need to be on the same page and have the right mindset from the top down and it will happen. 

This is a proud club with a group of young guys that don't wish to be the whipping boys that they have been this year and are certainly up for the hard work that is required to turn it around.  Sure we will need to cull a few and have a crack at recruiting a few different types and also drafting for the future.

Lets all get behind whoever is appointed and watch this once proud unit return as a force.  Wont there be some egg on faces when it happens.........

Im happy to support the new coach and Id love for there to be egg on my face and have to come in here and say
fonzy" like "I was wwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooonnnng" but its a massive job and we are pinning our hopes on 2 blokes who are mid 40s and never had a gig before in the big time and never won flags as players at this level, 1 bloke who is late 30s and admitted has seen plenty of success as a player and a 31 year old who is atleast 5 years away from being able to coach his own side at AFL level successfully.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

Im happy to support the new coach and Id love for there to be egg on my face and have to come in here and say
fonzy" like "I was wwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooonnnng" but its a massive job and we are pinning our hopes on 2 blokes who are mid 40s and never had a gig before in the big time and never won flags as players at this level, 1 bloke who is late 30s and admitted has seen plenty of success as a player and a 31 year old who is atleast 5 years away from being able to coach his own side at AFL level successfully.

That's on completely face value and looking negatively about their playing careers.  It's lucky they're coaching, hey.  ::)

You need far more than being a premiership player to be a premiership coach.

So how about we show a bit of patience instead of throwing poo at them before they've even started at our club given we are actually finding a coach the way we should have a long time ago.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »
we are pinning our hopes on 2 blokes who are mid 40s and never had a gig before in the big time and never won flags as players at this level

As I said the other day Ramps, if only Richardson had have been able to get up for the 1990 GF with that collar bone injury sustained in the preliminary. He would be perfect!

Lets be serious on this flags as a player business (if it is a significant factor and I'm not convinced it is) Richardson was a big part of a premiership team. If anything missing out on the GF will make Richardson more determined to succeed as a coach.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »

So Paul Roos, Ross Lyon & Alastair Clarkson should never have been appointed? Matty Knights?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
The other factor is our age. TW may have made many mistakes but he was correct with his prediction even though some Journo's didn't like it. We will not see success at any level until we have the majority of our list reaching the 'premiership age bracket' of around 23 - 27. Regardless of our talent, skill level or footy smarts if we do not have the size and strength to compete against the more mature midfields such as Sydney and Collingwood.

Lids and co are the first wave of our core list to approach this magic age bracket but it won't be until a good percentage of the list sits around this age until we can hope to see success.

As far as I can see that is still 2 years off. Any coach we have should be attempting to strengthen our side and make them more physically imposing for next year if we have any chance of success.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »
A poster on tiger-talk had this to say:

"This is a friend of a friend (who is directly involved in the process) story so take it as you will but I thought it was interesting.

Apparently, of all the people interviewed for the coaching position, Alan Richardson was by far the most impressive - from what I have heard he spoke exceptionally, was very well prepared and had a dossier on every Richmond player, their strengths and weaknesses etc

The worry is that the Board is seriously thinking of taking the easy "safe" option of Hardwick, not because he won the process but because everyone externally sees him as the SAFE option - hope this part of it isnt true"

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/91985

Fun times!
And lots of these  :shh  and these   ;)  and these   :help  and these   :sleep  and these   :whistle  and the only one that really counts  :gotigers

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
The worry is that the Board is seriously thinking of taking the easy "safe" option of Hardwick, not because he won the process but because everyone externally sees him as the SAFE option - hope this part of it isnt true"

It's time to take the right option.

Wallace was the safe, media darling option 5 years ago. That didn't work out so good.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »
Best candidate should get it. Irrespective of what anyone thinks- media, supporters, sponsors. whoever does the best job of the process should win.

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »
Its pretty easy to be pessimistic at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me for things to turn around quicker than other think. We have a young core that's still maturing, similar to the Hawks back in 2004. No one rated their kids coming through, but a disciplined coach brought them into the side and had them playing team football pretty quickly, despite a few floggings here and there.

The fact Hardwick was part of that makes me lean towards him more than others. I certainly think the Hawks overachieved early, however they certainly play hard, team football, I hate the zone and hope that's not Hardwick wants to implement at Richmond, however that type of discipline is something our players should aspire to.

As for the off field stuff, I'm planning to win Tattslotto or Powerball and will use the money to disband the coteries who think their money buys them power and influence over the club. Be patient, I'm working on it ;)

and pay out McMuffin?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
All this speculation is getting annoying. I will be glad when the decision is made as much to end the hear-say than to know who the new coach is. I really don't think we can go wrong with the decision - all of the candidates are of a similar standard and only time will tell who was the best choice.

Sometimes you have to look through the Interview and see what the reality of an applicant. Many people present extremely well in such situations but when you dig a bit deeper they are not the best person for the job. Richardson may be the same - great presenter but without the experience and comparative credentials for Hardwick and Hinkley.

When it all comes down to it its just all more speculation now isn't it  ;)

Stripes 

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
Apparently, of all the people interviewed for the coaching position, Alan Richardson was by far the most impressive - from what I have heard he spoke exceptionally, was very well prepared and had a dossier on every Richmond player, their strengths and weaknesses etc

Bloody hell, that's preparation.  I liked AR before I read that, now I like him more.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
I really don't think we can go wrong with the decision - all of the candidates are of a similar standard and only time will tell who was the best choice.

For every ying there is a yang and the converse also applies that maybe we cant go right with the decision regardless of who is appointed.