Author Topic: Richmond to play two Darwin home games over the next 3 years [merged]  (Read 5697 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to play two home games in Darwin in the next 3 years (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 08:53:43 AM »
Yep, $1million and some top end exposure for 2 games over 3 years, I'm all for it.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL's $8mil punt on Territory (NT News - mentions Richmond)
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
AFL's $8mil punt on Territory
GREY MORRIS
October 19th, 2009

DARWIN'S TIO Stadium will host 10 AFL premiership matches from next year as part of an $8 million, five-year deal announced by the NT Government last night.

The $8 million includes more than $2 million for infrastructure upgrades at TIO Stadium and Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

Port Adelaide will be the away team until 2012, beginning with matches in May and June next year involving "home" clubs Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

Richmond will replace either Melbourne or the Bulldogs as a home team in 2011 and 2012.

More good news for Centralian fans is the staging of the 2013 Indigenous All-Stars game at Traeger Park and the continuation of NAB Challenge pre-season AFL matches.

The All-Stars game and an upgrade of the Challenge matches to actual NAB Cup fixtures is subject to the upgrades at Traeger Park which include a permanent toilet block and coach and media boxes.

A $150,000 contribution from Alice Springs Town Council should guarantee the works are completed well before that date.

TIO Stadium will get a new corporate area, more office space and training lights on the second oval as it prepares for premiership matches and the 2011 All-Stars game.

NT Chief Minister Paul Henderson said the $8million being spent indicated a strong vote of confidence from the AFL in Territory football's first class facilities, with the added bonus that premiership matches would bring millions of dollars to the local economy.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last night confirmed Melbourne and the Bulldogs as next season's home sides, as revealed by the Northern Territory News in June this year.

``Over the last decade the numbers of outstanding young NT players making their way to AFL clubs has continued to climb steadily,'' Demetriou said.

``They are following in the footsteps of players like Andrew McLeod and Aaron Davey and these games will continue to inspire young Territorians to chase their dreams.

``The AFL is committed to taking our competition to all parts of Australia and we are delighted that this agreement ($500,000 per game with the AFL covering travel and accommodation costs) secures 10 premiership matches at Marrara's TIO Stadium for the next five years.''

The introduction of the new Gold Coast and Western Sydney teams to the AFL competition will mean a revision of the 2013 and 2014 fixtures and the possible inclusion of both new clubs in the Territory roster.

Community engagements, including school, hospital and indigenous community visits and junior clinics will be intensified during the five-year period.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/10/19/93561_ntsport.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers strengthen NT ties (RFC)
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
We start playing in Darwin in 2011...

Tigers strengthen NT ties
By Adrian Ceddia | Mon 19 October, 2009

Richmond will re-affirm its commitment to the Northern Territory by playing AFL home-and-away matches in the region over the next few seasons.

The Tigers will play one match in each of the 2011 and 2012 seasons, as part of an $8 million agreement between the AFL and the Northern Territory Government.

“The Club is excited about the opportunity to further increase our presence in the Northern Territory,” Richmond’s CEO Brendon Gale said.

“We have been working with the local communities in the area for some time, and we will be able to continue our long-term commitment by playing home-and-away matches in the region.

“We are also keen to continue to build our membership and fan base in the Territory, which has increased significantly in the last few seasons,” he said.

Richmond has been working closely with its corporate partners, along with the Northern Territory Government and the AFL, to implement its “Tigers in the Territory” program.

Tiger players and officials have visited the Alice Springs region several times during the past couple of years, promoting the importance of a healthy lifestyle and education in the local schools.

The Club’s co-major partner, Dick Smith, has committed to Richmond’s Northern Territory school education program by supplying the necessary technology for players and school children to communicate via web cam.

Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide will also play home-and-away games in the Northern Territory over the next three seasons, in Darwin and Alice Springs.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/86193/default.aspx

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
Disappointing I have to wait until 2011

I've never been to Darwin  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:07:59 PM »
Yep, $1million and some top end exposure for 2 games over 3 years, I'm all for it.  :thumbsup

Yep $1Million. insignificant actually , why ?
3 years of Jordon McMahon at $330,000  a years =  1 Million ::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »

I've never been to Darwin  ;D

Great place WP.  I'm driving up there in Dec for Christmas - and with 2 sons and 1 grandson living there I guess it won't be too hard to convince myself to attend these 2 games.  Great news I reckon!

Gigantor

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
good old jack...brings us all back to reality..LOL

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »

Yep $1Million. insignificant actually , why ?
3 years of Jordon McMahon at $330,000  a years =  1 Million ::)

Try telling that to the football department when they miss out on a spending increase because of an insignificant $1m.   ???

No use crying over spilled milk Jack.  If the lesson is going to be learnt then it already has, and if not then it never will.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
Just remember Jack if it wasn't Jordie on the $330k a year it would be someone else just as unworthy  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 08:44:44 PM »
Just remember Jack if it wasn't Jordie on the $330k a year it would be someone else just as unworthy  :rollin

No, play one short and then put the extra $$$$$$$$$$$ into someone worth there money.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:20 PM »
My sentiments exactly. Footscray V Port games are starting to bore me  :sleep
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
I guess this makes up for the lost Gold Coast home game that was cancelled.

Normally I would be against giving up home ground advantage even for $$$ but given we'll be a developing side over the next 2-3 years then it isn't the end of the world and we make an extra $1 million out of it. I hope though we move back to 11 home games in Melbourne by 2013 when the list starts maturing and we should be pushing to become a top 8 side.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:08 AM »

No, play one short and then put the extra $$$$$$$$$$$ into someone worth there money.
Can't you have to pay the minimum TPP so it will go to someone

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »
Do we play a home game at Gold Coast next year?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »

Can't you have to pay the minimum TPP so it will go to someone

The answer is yes.
Although who actually knows what percentage is paid., as they have incentives included etc etc.
I thought as a min you had to pay 92 % Plus ???.
Which means we didnt have to pay Jordon McMahon $330,000  year, especially when he was on $170,000 a year previously at the dogs.
We could of at the time try to negoitate with others players  that were in the draft that year , pointless talking about past events, move on I say. LOL