Author Topic: Forward double acts - ( Herald-Sun talks about Roach and Taylor )  (Read 394 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Great double acts await Brown-Fev show
Jon Anderson
October 27, 2009 11:30pm

OPINIONS are divided on the likelihood of success when Brisbane unleashes its glamour forward line in 2010.

While the prospect of Brendan Fevola joining Jonathan Brown has Lions fans salivating, some who have been involved in similar partnerships suggest there will be teething problems.

Michael Roach and Brian Taylor suffered more than teething problems in their three full seasons together at Richmond from 1982-84, with Taylor finally departing for Collingwood where he became a 100-goal full-forward in 1986.

Roach kicked 100 goals in a season, booting 112 in 1980 and 81 in 1981, while 19-year-old Taylor kicked 119 in the reserves in 1981. Roach was still only 22 at the end of 1981, so he was probably entitled to ask why Richmond had pursued another full-forward in Taylor, from Mandurah in WA.

Maybe the Tigers thought the pair would somehow gel, despite the fact both were natural full-forwards.

History shows they didn't, despite remaining good friends to this day. Roach believes it was as much to do with the times as the players themselves.

"In today's world, with the videos and homework, we could possibly have worked it out but we just turned up and played," Roach said.

"Brian's first full year was in 1982 when he played full-forward and was on fire, while I ended up in the ruck after Mark Lee got injured.

"I got a few kicks but when Mark came back I played at half-forward and wasn't really suited to it.

"With Brown and Fevola, they will do a lot of work before they actually play a game together. But it will be interesting. In fact, I can't wait to watch how they work together."

For Taylor, playing alongside another ball-drawing player in Roach reduced ball-getting opportunities for both.

"And as the junior partner to Michael, I was always worried about getting in his way when I led, not taking his space," Taylor said.

"There were times when we both would have found there was less room to work in, and that can limit you.

"Fevola demands territory and it's fair to say he's a little more selfish in the space he requires.

"And he's come from a situation where he's had that space. He will have to get it in his head that winning the Coleman Medal is no longer a big deal.

"Brown will play up the ground, but as he gets older he will want to play closer to goal. And that is where he is most damaging because he's a natural goalkicker."

Five years after Taylor and Roach were trying to work out their respective roles, a pair of high-flying Geelong forwards, Gary Ablett and Billy Brownless, were doing the same thing at Kardinia Park.

Like Taylor and Roach, Brownless was a natural full-forward but the presence of Ablett meant he had to re-define his role.

"Don't forget that forward line also had Barry Stoneham, Bruce Lindner and even Michael Turner when I first started," Brownless said.

"It's a matter of swallowing your ego and pride to know where you stand. Obviously 'Gazza' was No. 1, so I became a good decoy.

"The problem was 'Gazza' had such competitive instincts that he wanted every ball that came in.

"There were times when I felt like saying 'get out of the way' but he never spoke on the field, and wouldn't have listened anyway."

Brownless believes Brown will have to push up the ground to make it work for Brisbane.

"Fevola and Brown both love kicking goals. What will happen is the players up the field like Black, Power and Rich will kick it to who they notice first," Brownless said.

"That just might be Fevola given his speed off the mark. It worked with Brown and Bradshaw, but Fevola is more demanding than Bradshaw. It will be interesting."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26270231-5016212,00.html