Author Topic: 2021 Draft thread  (Read 122061 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2021 Draft thread
« Reply #495 on: November 05, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
From last week:

Heard Roberts interviewed today and he mentioned Richmond and GWS are the 2 clubs not to have interviewed him at all. When he pushed he mentioned Hawks had shown most interest.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/modernartillery-2021-draft-thread.1273192/post-72750968

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #496 on: November 06, 2021, 03:17:53 AM »
WATCH: The nervous wait is almost over for Tasmania's talented young footballers with the AFL's National Draft to take place later this month.

Half back Sam Banks is expected to be hot property on the night... after meeting with seventeen of the competition's eighteen clubs.

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1456531738037866501

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #497 on: November 06, 2021, 03:23:00 AM »
Phantom draft from BF draft watcher ModernArtillery:

This was way more painful than I anticipated and I've spent way more time on this than I'd care to admit. The late picks probably aren't in perfect order but it should be reasonably close.

Round 1

Pick 1 North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 2 Collingwood - Nick Daicos* (matched bid)
Pick 3 Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy* (matched bid)
Pick 4 GWS - Josh Gibcus
Pick 5 Gold Coast - Finn Callaghan

I don't think there is anything too shocking here. The order of the bids and then GWS passing on Callaghan to select Gibcus are probably the only legitimate variables. Kall Burns spoke on Road to the Draft suggesting that the Suns would be keen to move up but not back, which suggests to me that they probably would like Callaghan. I think the Giants would love to find a trade partner to move back but finding that partner and managing to still get their guy may be a challenge.

Pick 6 Adelaide - Josh Rachele
Pick 7 Hawthorn - Josh Ward
Pick 8 Fremantle - Jye Amiss
Pick 9 Richmond - Mac Andrew
Pick 10 Fremantle - Neil Erasmus

Rachele to the Crows is seeming more and more likely with the Giants and Suns also rumoured to be interested. Gold Coast I think would be a real threat if the Giants go Callaghan. Pick 8 to Fremantle was my first real headache. If the Dockers are going to take Amiss then it makes most sense to me for them to do it with pick 8 as Richmond could be a possible landing spot for a key forward. I considered Hobbs at 9 and 10 for the Tigers and Dockers respectively but ultimately preferred Andrew and Erasmus.

Pick 11 St Kilda - Ben Hobbs
Pick 12 West Coast - Matthew Johnson
Pick 13 Essendon Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 14 Port Adelaide - Josh Goater
Pick 15 GWS - Sam Butler

I really dislike the Saints + Hobbs fit but I just couldn't leave him on the board for any longer. He's probably top 10 on draft night so this feels like a bit of a slide. Interestingly, I think the Saints going Hobbs prevents Johnson from sliding as I think West Coast would favour Hobbs if available. If that played out, I could foresee Johnson getting to the late teens. Port miss out on Wanganeen-Milera but I think an inside midfielder is a bigger long-term need anyway and think Goater could fill that. Butler is probably the first big 'reach' but I'm really starting to get on board with his skillset and think that's someone the Giants would love to add to their list.

Pick 16 Brisbane - Zac Taylor
Pick 17 Richmond - Jacob Van Rooyen
Pick 18 Sydney - Mitch Knevitt
Pick 19 Melbourne - Tyler Sonsie
Pick 20 Brisbane - Josh Sinn

I've been high on Zac Taylor for a while now and Brisbane I feel are just about the best in the business at developing these types. I know it's not a need and hurts more seeing JVR go next. I don't love the fit but I think Richmond and Melbourne would consider Taylor and so I've locked him away here. Richmond could go a number of different directions here but with options to address the midfield and utilities in the second round, I've doubled down on the key position types. Sydney get some inside midfield help and the Dees and Brisbane get some serious value late in the first round.

Round 2

Pick 21 Fremantle - Arlo Draper
Pick 22 North Melbourne - Campbell Chesser
Pick 23 St Kilda - Mitch Owens* (matched bid)
Pick 24 Hawthorn - Blake Howes
Pick 25 Geelong - Tom Brown

Draper and Chesser present great value for the Dockers and Roos. St Kilda snag Owens with the Hawks adding some athleticism to their forward half. I really like Tom Brown and considered him for Brisbane in the first round and for North at pick 22.

Pick 26 Hawthorn - Judson Clarke
Pick 27 Carlton - Connor MacDonald
Pick 28 Richmond - Darcy Wilmot
Pick 29 Richmond - Jesse Motlop
Pick 30 Richmond - Angus Sheldrick

Clarke brings some more speed and x-factor to Hawthorn's forward set up and I think MacDonald can be a key piece to Carlton's midfield in the long term. The big play here is Richmond's haul. After going Andrew and JVR in the first round, they add Wilmot, Motlop and Sheldrick to add to a draft hand that I think balances them really nicely. Wilmot is a great get at 28, Motlop has his fans and though this may be a touch early for Sheldrick, I feel it's a worthwhile gamble with the midfield depth in this draft dwindling.

Pick 31 West Coast - Brady Hough
Pick 32 Geelong - Rhett Bazzo
Pick 33 Sydney - Leek Alleer
Pick 34 GWS - Josh Fahey* (bid matched)
Pick 35 Geelong - Ronald Fejo Jr

It was around this range where I started hating every passing selection. Hough to West Coast seems reasonable enough, though I would've liked to add some more speed here. Corey Warner could be an option but I think it would be a reach in this range. There's a bit of irony in Sydney taking an under-developed intercept marking key defender after letting Aliir Aliir go last year. I wanted Sheldrick at this pick for the Swans but I'd already sent him to Richmond and I think it's too early for Jack Williams who I think is also an option. The Fahey bid comes and Geelong add some class and x-factor with Ronny Fejo.

Pick 36 Adelaide - Kai Lohmann
Pick 37 Geelong - Matthew Roberts
Pick 38 West Coast - Alastair Lord
Pick 39 Melbourne - Paul Curtis

I have no idea who Adelaide will go with this selection and low key feel like they'll pull a Hugh Stagg or something like that (nothing against Stagg, I just prefer others here). So I just went ahead and picked one of my favourite guys from the pool and went Lohmann who I think fits a need, and with Rachele, adds some genuine x-factor inside our forward half. West Coast add some speed with Lord and Melbourne add Curtis to Sonsie which I absolutely love for them.

Round 3

Pick 40 Sydney - Jack Williams
Pick 41 Brisbane - Oscar Morrison
Pick 42 North Melbourne - Corey Preston
Pick 43 North Melbourne - Miller Bergman
Pick 44 Melbourne - Taj Woewodin

It gets more and more difficult late but Sydney and Brisbane go key position with Williams and Morrison. I debated between Charlie Dean and Morrison for the Lions. While Dean is probably the safer bet to contribute from day 1, I think Morrison has the greater upside as an interceptor and rebounder. North add class and versatility with Preston and Bergman and Woewodin gets to the Dees with their last selection.

Pick 45 Geelong - Toby Conway
Pick 46 Essendon - Jamieson Ballantyne
Pick 47 St Kilda - Marcus Windhager* (matched bid)
Pick 48 Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Rankin
Pick 49 Collingwood - Corey Warner

There's not a great deal to love here but Geelong get their ruckman and the Saints get their second NGA prospect. I like Ballantyne and Rankin and think they present a bit of value here, while I don't love Warner to the Pies, there's some potential upside/value late.

Pick 50 Essendon - Kaden Harbour
Pick 51 Fremantle - Eric Benning* (matched bid)
Pick 52 Collingwood - Hugh Jackson

There's a pathway for Harbour, Benning and Jackson to all have AFL careers so I think these selections are reasonable enough. Typically a stab in the dark this late in the draft.

Round 4

Pick 53 Hawthorn - Isaac Birt
Pick 54 Port Adelaide - Jase Burgoyne
Pick 55 Carlton - Charlie Molan
Pick 56 West Coast - Ethan Regan
Pick 57 North Melbourne - Isaiah Dudley
Pick 58 Adelaide - Hugh Stagg

Nothing too interesting here with Burgoyne and Regan finding their way to Port and West Coast respectively. Molan is some good value late for the Blues. Dudley to North and Stagg to Adelaide is just based on a rumour that was going around at the SA Draft Combine. Brisbane, Hawthorn, Sydney, GWS, Port Adelaide all passing selections.

Round 5

Pick 59 Collingwood - Josh Browne
Pick 60 Essendon - Cooper Murley
Pick 61 Western Bulldogs - Youseph Dib
Pick 62 St Kilda - Charlie Dean

North, Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn and Carlton all passing selections.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/modernartillery-2021-draft-thread.1273192/post-72838351

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #498 on: November 06, 2021, 06:59:51 AM »
Big NO. To Mac Andrew, tall developing players a waste of time IMHO

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #499 on: November 06, 2021, 08:51:37 AM »
Agree...

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:22 AM »
No way will we let Hobbs slip through and take Andrews
Not that Andrews won’t be a good player but A class midfielder would be 1st priority.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #501 on: November 06, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
This guy is tailoring what He wants to happen
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #502 on: November 06, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »
We have just seen what happens when you spend years developing talls only for them to walk. I dont think we go Andrews here. Let the other clubs develop them and we jump on them once they have put on size and honed their skills.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #503 on: November 06, 2021, 01:44:58 PM »
We have just seen what happens when you spend years developing talls only for them to walk. I dont think we go Andrews here. Let the other clubs develop them and we jump on them once they have put on size and honed their skills.
Exactly, a Great example is Nank

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #504 on: November 06, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »

Not sure Richo, Riewoldt, Lynch, Rance, Astbury or Balta would agree

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #505 on: November 06, 2021, 03:15:56 PM »
Agreed, he's what 70kg? Going to take 3+ years at least.

Not that Andrews won’t be a good player but A class midfielder would be 1st priority.
Agree with this too. We really need a mid and Hobbs sounds like an extractor and ball magnet who could pretty much play immediately. I am keen for us to get him for sure, in fact if anything I am worried he will be gone.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #506 on: November 06, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »
He should have been loyal, but not sure why they didn’t extend a year ago- everyone is right  in hind sight 😁

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »

I get where you are coming from, but none of those players with the possible exception of Ashbury, took long to come up to AFL standard, we have been waiting for 3 years for CCJ to come on, in hindsight he should have been given more opportunity maybe??

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »

Why the love for Hobbs

He is not fast
He is not agile
His tank isn't the biggest
His kicking is average
He has no x factor

With so many deficiencies why do posters see him as top ten pick?

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2021, 05:13:28 PM »

I get where you are coming from, but none of those players with the possible exception of Ashbury, took long to come up to AFL standard, we have been waiting for 3 years for CCJ to come on, in hindsight he should have been given more opportunity maybe??

Rance was also a mile off in his early years.  Richo had the same body shape as Mac Andrew when he started also