Author Topic: Sam Banks [merged]  (Read 16246 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Sam Banks to debut this week [merged]
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2023, 06:28:16 PM »
Great stuff and a decent block of games

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »
 both will get about 50 percent game time and both probably won't play in their best roles because we just have to protect ordinary favorites.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
From Woodsdale paddock to MCG: Banks to make AFL debut (Mercury)
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
From Woodsdale paddock to MCG: Banks to make AFL debut

The MCG is a far cry from the tiny Tassie suburb he played his junior footy, but that’s the reality for Sam Banks as he prepares for his AFL debut on Thursday.

Jon Tuxworth
The Mercury
July 4, 2023 - 1:58PM

HE grew up playing on a paddock at the tiny Tasmania suburb of Woodsdale, but Sam Banks will step it up a notch when he makes his AFL debut for Richmond at the MCG on Thursday night.

And one of his former coaches says he has the character traits and ability to make a fist of the elite level, rating him “one of the best kicks I’ve coached.”

The 20-year-old former Tasmania Devils captain, taken at pick 29 in the 2021 draft, will take on the Swans after strong form in the VFL.

The half-back or wing was the water boy for Woodsdale — where his father Laurie is a club legend after playing over 500 games there — and hails from Whitefoord, which boasts a population of just 60 people.

Banks played junior football with Sorell and then Clarence, before stepping up to the Kangaroos’ TSL side.

He will follow the footsteps of fellow Whitefoord product and Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Royce Hart, who also played for Richmond.

Banks has been named as an emergency of a number of occasions, but was able to call his parents with the good news on Monday.

Former Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley, now head coach of the Tasmania Devils, said Banks’ character traits shown through as much as his silky skills.

“I thought he was really level headed for his age,” Webberley said.

“His maturity was the first thing, then his football talent with his skill level and running ability, that was his one wood.

“It’s a great success story, another country boy going through the ranks and achieving the ultimate.

“I don’t know what the population of Whitefoord, is but I’m pretty sure there’ll be a whole lot more there on Thursday night (at the MCG) than there is out there.

“He reads the game really well, has a good endurance engine and is a beautiful kick of the ball.

“He’s one of the better kicks I’ve coached and I’m sure he’ll be on the wing on Thursday night. They’ll be looking to get the ball to him and use his kicking ability, that’s for sure.”

Banks joins a healthy crop of Tasmanians on the Tigers’ list. Seth Campbell, Rhyan Mansell, Jack Riewoldt, Toby Nankervis are also currently at Punt Road, which is the biggest Tasmananian contingent of any AFL club.

Banks is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2025 and has played primarily as a wingman for the Tigers, where his two-way running has been a standout.

He will make his debut after being named as an emergency for the AFL team several times.

Webberley said Banks’ decision to have surgery on a wrist injury in his draft year of 2021, which also ruled him out of Clarence’s TSL finals campaign, shows his maturity.

“He tried to play through his injury for a period but it was getting worse. I know that was a really tough decision for him to have the operation at the time to stop playing footy, because he was so passionate about playing for Clarence and that was his draft year as well.

“That was a really mature decision, he didn’t take it lightly but that’s a sign of the character he is.

“He didn’t play much footy at all that year, a couple of Devils games and a couple of Clarence games really, so he basically got drafted off his 17th year.”

Webberley said Banks’ rise is another example of talent shining through, no matter how small the community players grow up in.

“At the end of the day talent’s talent. It doesn’t really matter where you grow up or what you’re background is, if you put it on show you’ll get identified and the rest is history,” he said.

“That’s one of the great things about Australian Rules footy, you hear success stories not just in Tasmania but all over Australia about players who come from remote communities getting drafted.

“It’s something the AFL industry does extremely well, they watch a lot of games of footy and have reach basically everywhere.

“If you have the right talent and character, there’s always opportunity for you. What AFL clubs are looking for is that character piece, and Sam ticks a lot of boxes there.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/state-leagues/from-woodsdale-paddock-to-mcg-banks-to-make-afl-debut/news-story/ae2af3d153527a84e1d7f300e58dd62f

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2023, 02:27:07 PM »
Coached by the great Jeromy Webberly - the only non-injured player to be subbed out of an AFL match before half-time. :clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2023, 07:09:44 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2023, 09:01:58 PM »
Named on the bench and McIntosh and Pickett named in his position feel sorry for him already. Really hope they give him a bloody good go in the role we have developed him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2023, 09:09:32 PM »
Named on the bench and McIntosh and Pickett named in his position feel sorry for him already. Really hope they give him a bloody good go in the role we have developed him.

Don't know if you're aware but he's been spending a lot of time playing as a rebounding HBF
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2023, 09:43:14 PM »

Don't know if you're aware but he's been spending a lot of time playing as a rebounding HBF
He wouldn't care. Just wants to take pots shots even based on team sheets which mean absolutely nothing. Oh and btw I think Pickett and Macintosh are are far from the problems we have.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2023, 10:35:42 PM »
Had a tough night, some wins with a few losses too.  Overall I was impressed with the way he kept putting in even when things weren’t going his way.  Fought it out really well … good to see ….     :clapping
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2023, 10:40:43 PM »
Made the wrong decision a few times but that’s to be expected of a first gamer. Liked his endeavour and didn’t shy away from it. Give him a few games to get his footing.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2023, 10:44:18 PM »
Made the wrong decision a few times but that’s to be expected of a first gamer. Liked his endeavour and didn’t shy away from it. Give him a few games to get his footing.
Spot on

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2023, 10:48:38 PM »
What I saw tonight was a kid that needs 3 games to adjust to the speed of AFL level. He will be ok , actually he will be a damn good player

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2023, 06:30:31 AM »
Was alright for a kid in a wet high pressure game on debut. Keep him in!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2023, 07:09:48 AM »

👆 this

I thought his effort in the 3rd against Buddy, to get back and get it thorigh for a behind was excellent

Good kid is Sam  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2023, 02:47:27 PM »
In the third quarter, with Sydney’s superstar spearhead Buddy Franklin streaming into an open goal at the Ponsford Stand end of the ground, Banks produced a huge defensive effort, charging at him and preventing a certain Swans goal.

Interim Richmond coach Andrew McQualter, in his post-match press conference, commended Banks for that crucial piece of play.

“It was a big moment for ‘Banksy” . . . We were under the pump at that time,” McQualter said.

“It’s funny, those type of moments, we talk about them a lot.

“They go through and bring some energy to your team when you’re able to save a goal like that.

“So, I thought Banksy stood up in his moment.”

Banks, who finished the match with 13 disposals, three rebound-50s, four intercepts and 191 metres gained, told Richmond Media in a post-game interview what the experience of making his debut at senior level for the Tigers was like.

“Unbelievable. To come away with four points in tricky conditions was awesome. And to do it with some of your best mates, is just phenomenal. Loved it,” he said.

“It was definitely a step up. Bit more speed in the game and things like that. But having the likes of ‘Grimesy’ (Dylan Grimes), ‘Tigga’ (Nick Vlastuin), and all the other backs down there helping you out, makes so much difference.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1374751/banks-big-buddy-moment-on-debut