Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 72145 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 51. Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2021, 02:51:21 PM »
Maurice Rioli jnr, who will be subject to much intrigue in his first year, has also impressed Lonergan throughout the pre-season.

“His game last week [in the reserves] was fantastic,” Lonergan said.

“He was bash and crash, his appetite for the contest was exceptional for a young man and it’s exciting. It’s exciting to see a young player in our footy club with that amount of hunger and aggressive approach to the contest.”

Source: The Age

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
I watched the replay on You Tube and agree that MRJ looked really good. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2021, 05:39:38 PM »
Will be at least top 5 when they reevaluate the draft in 5 years... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2021, 04:26:18 AM »
Dimma said post-game tonight that he originally thought Maurice jnr would be a fair way away from playing AFL but now he's not as far as away as he thought. Xavier Clarke showed Dimma a development squad video and Dimma thought it was a Maurice Rioli jnr highlights clip. Maurice jnr just tackles, tackles, tackles, ..., and tackles. Dimma said it's how a Richmond forward plays and he is doing some really exciting things. Got some things to work on like our other young players but the steps are there.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
Dimma said post-game tonight that he originally thought Maurice jnr would be a fair way away from playing AFL but now he's not as far as away as he thought. Xavier Clarke showed Dimma a development squad video and Dimma thought it was a Maurice Rioli jnr highlights clip. Maurice jnr just tackles, tackles, tackles, ..., and tackles. Dimma said it's how a Richmond forward plays and he is doing some really exciting things. Got some things to work on like our other young players but the steps are there.

I loyk it... I loyk it a lot!...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2021, 12:53:42 AM »
Will debut next week and outshine Kozzy Pickett... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2021, 02:30:18 AM »
Will debut next week and outshine Kozzy Pickett... :shh
Reckon we'll give MJR a couple of VFL games then unleash him in the Dreamtime match.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2021, 03:24:42 AM »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2021, 08:46:51 AM »
I’m guessing Aarts will be pretty nervous watching this kid.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »
I bet we’ll see an improvement in form in Daniel once maurice comes in too. Reckon they’ll thrive playing together.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
'He just tackles, tackles, tackles': Son of Tigers great on cusp of shock debut

By Riley Beveridge
afl.com.au
19 April 2021

THERE could be another Rioli bound for the AFL in the coming weeks, with Richmond youngster Maurice Rioli jnr closing on a shock senior debut after an impressive start to his career at Punt Road.

The Tigers raised eyebrows when they named Rioli jnr, the son of the late former Richmond and South Fremantle champion Maurice Rioli, among four emergencies for last Thursday night's 86-point demolition of St Kilda at Marvel Stadium.

The 179cm forward then backed up his rising standing among club officials with another impressive performance in the VFL season-opener on Friday, where he won 17 disposals and kicked two goals in a 40-point win over Sandringham.

Having been recruited to the club as a father-son selection with pick No.51 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Rioli jnr spent the majority of Friday's game playing forward but also enjoyed several stints through the midfield.

He shook off a nasty-looking ankle injury in the second term, which forced him to spend an extended period on the bench, before kicking two goals in the second half and showcasing his relentless tackling ability.

His first goal, which capped a mazy run through the forward line, typified his afternoon and demonstrated why Richmond officials are so pleased with the youngster's progression since arriving at the club.

"It's funny … Xavier Clarke – our development coach – showed a tape of the D1 edits, but I thought it was the Maurice Rioli jnr highlights tape," Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said after Thursday night's victory over St Kilda.

"He just tackles, tackles, tackles, tackles and tackles some more. That's the way a Richmond man plays and that's the way a Richmond forward plays.

"I must admit, I thought he'd be a fair way away. But he's not as far away as I thought. He's doing some really exciting things. He's got a bit of work to do, there's no doubt, but the steps are there."

Rioli jnr was eligible to join Fremantle as a father-son recruit, while he also could have chosen to play for Essendon via its Next Generation Academy, but opted to represent Richmond after moving from the Northern Territory to board at Scotch College.

The cousin of Richmond's triple-premiership player Daniel Rioli, the 19-year-old shot into the sights of AFL recruiters with a four-goal haul to lift St Mary's into the Northern Territory Football League Grand Final in March last year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/597286/he-just-tackles-tackles-tackles-son-of-tigers-great-maurice-rioli-on-cusp-of-shock-debut

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »
Aarts can make way. Poor bugger

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
Speaking on SEN Breakfast, Garry Lyon and Tim Watson discussed whether Richmond would blood Rioli Jnr on Anzac Day Eve against Melbourne.

Lyon: “That would be huge. Will they unleash him on Saturday night?”

Watson: “It’s a big, big game … if they think that he’s ready for the occasion they will.”

Lyon: “They unleashed a bloke called (Marlion) Pickett on the biggest stage of all (Grand Final), so they don’t care about the occasion.

“That would be exciting, I’d love to see that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/21/when-will-richmond-unleash-maurice-rioli-jnr/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2021, 04:24:19 AM »
Balmey discussing Maurice junior:

"Very very exciting I can tell you. He's not fit enough yet to play the full game stuff but he's seriously being considered. The stuff he does attacking the ball and the player is so quick. It's very exciting. I'd think we'd make a mistake if we played him too soon. However, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get a look at some stage this year. We weren't expecting that much from him at all [this year] coming from where he's come from and not having a fitness base. But he shows so much excitement we're getting a bit carried away I think."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/916491/talking-tigers-round-6