Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 72164 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #525 on: July 16, 2023, 10:32:07 PM »
Really believe that with 50 games under his belt, we'll have a good player on our hands.

He’s poo

Different surname and he wouldn’t be getting a game

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #526 on: July 17, 2023, 01:48:24 AM »
4. Overreactions

Maurice Rioli Jr was mightily stiff when the camera caught him looking unimpressed being subbed out of the game on Sunday night. His Tigers were up by 26 points when he was called off the ground after unselfishly giving off a goal to Marlion Pickett only minutes earlier. But as we saw, he was so flat about being taken out of the game, Rioli didn’t want to speak to the coaches up in the box. Ivan Maric tried to hand him the phone on the interchange bench, but the broadcast showed him wave the phone off. Clearly, Rioli didn’t want to have a bar of the conversation about why he’d been taken off.

But let’s not overreact like the blow-up over Clayton Oliver’s disappointment with the Melbourne fitness staffer about his hamstring injury. There is a strong current of emotion in the game, and Rioli would rather be out there helping lead the Tigers to victory in the fourth term. His frustration is understandable and shouldn’t be overblown. Clearly, the coaches would have caught up with him post game once he had cooled down to give any necessary feedback.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/the-tackle-jay-clark-names-his-likes-dislikes-from-round-17/news-story/23e2a4ad2116fcd79a101a9db6f8bde5

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #527 on: July 17, 2023, 08:44:53 AM »
Really believe that with 50 games under his belt, we'll have a good player on our hands.

He’s poo

Don’t agree with you on this one Damo.

His defensive pressure is excellent. Just needs to kick a few more goals and that will come.

Come on, I know how badly you wanted your favourite player Hugo to get a run.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #528 on: July 17, 2023, 08:55:44 AM »
MRJ zero tackles in 3 quarters. :shh

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #529 on: July 17, 2023, 09:43:20 AM »

He’s poo

Don’t agree with you on this one Damo.

His defensive pressure is excellent. Just needs to kick a few more goals and that will come.

Come on, I know how badly you wanted your favourite player Hugo to get a run.

Funny you mention Hugo

I reckon that’s why MRJ lost his poo

And why wouldn’t he .. fancy being replaced by a scared imposter

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #530 on: July 17, 2023, 09:55:34 AM »
He had 2 goal assists in the third quarter, I guess that doesn’t matter

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #531 on: July 17, 2023, 10:04:36 AM »
The new Castagna

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #532 on: July 17, 2023, 10:05:56 AM »
He had 2 goal assists in the third quarter, I guess that doesn’t matter

Of course it matters but if thats all you are bringing to the table then you aint brining much. Needs to do more, Simple.

Jack who some are saying is cooked would have had a few goal assists as well. In fact if i recall it was his handball that got it to MRJ for the goal to pickett. i Cant recall a second one.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #533 on: July 17, 2023, 11:33:48 AM »
I have been very negative towards MRJ but I think it's a mindset or coaching issue. Perhaps if his first instinct was to score rather then defend and let his natural flare come through we might just see him thrive. 
That's the game plan though these days I guess. Can't blame him if that is what he is instructed to do. 

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #534 on: July 17, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
He needs to start nailing some of his opportunities with ball in hand, and I think that will come in time. Not everyone feels comfortable at the level straight away - Edwards took 50-odd games to really start to shine.

He'll probably lose his spot to Mansell next week, but I think we always look better from a pressure perspective when he's in the side - the last 2 weeks with his closing speed he's forced some hurried turnover kicks out of D50 even without laying a tackle or gaining a stat. If he could balance the ledger with a goal or two, that would be the icing on the cake, at the moment he's not quite doing enough.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #535 on: July 17, 2023, 12:05:47 PM »
I think he showed enough last year to suggest he can be a good footballer.

Just a thought - I wonder if the absence of Lynch has messed with the development of Rioli and Cumberland in 2023.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #536 on: July 17, 2023, 01:54:59 PM »
Edwards took way more than 50 games to come good -was well over 100. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #537 on: July 17, 2023, 07:21:59 PM »
Can he play a different role , he just losing confidence playing as a small run down forward
a defensive forward role is thankless and the most successful small forwards are the ones that kick goals which forces the opposition to man up on them.
Our small forwards are more worried about locking down the small backs rebound run than being than playing as a forward

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #538 on: July 17, 2023, 08:24:10 PM »
Can he play a different role , he just losing confidence playing as a small run down forward
a defensive forward role is thankless and the most successful small forwards are the ones that kick goals which forces the opposition to man up on them.
Our small forwards are more worried about locking down the small backs rebound run than being than playing as a forward
  In the recent past our small forwards could apply scoreboard pressure as well as defensive pressure eg Rioli Edwards Butler. Times have changed.  I h
ope I am wrong but Mansell is not the type of player than can apply scoreboard pressure. It would good if Rioli was given abit more freedom to show his creative side. He is the sort of player that can apply scoreboard pressure

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #539 on: July 17, 2023, 09:30:10 PM »
  In the recent past our small forwards could apply scoreboard pressure as well as defensive pressure eg Rioli Edwards Butler. Times have changed.  I h
ope I am wrong but Mansell is not the type of player than can apply scoreboard pressure. It would good if Rioli was given abit more freedom to show his creative side. He is the sort of player that can apply scoreboard pressure
Interesting, I note that when MRJ was subbed off, Hugo seemed to play a different role, or is that incorrect??