Author Topic: Articles on Richo  (Read 974 times)

Offline ferring

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Articles on Richo
« on: May 30, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while. I bought some Fighting Tiger Bulletin's on eBay and there were a few Richo articles in there.
Hope you enjoy them!

At home with Richo and Harro.
   July 1996.

Richo on Harro
I grew up with ‘Harro’ down in Devonport, Tasmania. I’ve known him since I was four and we eventually came to move to Melbourne at the same time. Harro was recruited to Carlton and I came to Richmond. Initially I lived in Vermont with family friends and Harro lived in Pascoe Vale with a few Carlton boys and I used to go and visit him all the time. At the end of 1994 I asked Harro if he wanted to move out because I was ready to move on and move closer to the city and he had a couple of mates who he played with- Tony Lynn and Brad Pearce- who were keen to find a place too. I had met Lynnie and Brad before through Harro so we all went and looked at a house and moved in together. We lived in Carlton in a Melrose place type set-up and got to meet some of the neighbours but now we live in a house in north Carlton.
Since we’ve lived together the fourth bedroom has always been inconsistent as far as occupancy goes. It’s always been Brad myself and Ben but the other room changes all the time. We call it the Caspar the Ghost room because they’re never home. First of all Tony Lynn lived there then Justin Murphy then a mate of mine moved in then he moved out and now Adrian Whitehead lives with us and he’s been there for six months- the longest so far. So there’s two Richmond players and two Carlton players in the house. When Richmond play Carlton we don’t really talk about it much. Harro played in the reserves in round 10 against Carlton. It would have been good if he played in the seniors too, then the four of us would have played together. We all get along pretty well and always end up going out together or meeting up with each other when we’re out. There’s never any feuding in the house so it’s good value.

Richo on cooking and housework
The cooking in our household is non-existent. I think the last time we went shopping was in March and none of us cook meals anymore. I can’t remember the last time I cooked a meal at home. We eat out every night unless someone cooks up a big casserole or something of the kind and brings it over to us or we get take-away.
There’s no carpet in the house its all polished floorboards and we don’t have to vacuum so that helps a lot. The dishwasher washes the dishes and every now and then we might sweep the floor.
I usually do that- Pearcey’s hopeless and Harro’s not much better and neither is Adrian. I’m the only one who can actually do anything in the house; I’m always cleaning up after the guys.

Harro’s Room.
We call Harro’s bedroom the Hilton honeymoon suite because it’s an absolute disgrace and so we’re a bit sarcastic about it. He’s got no bed base-just a mattress on the floor, no cupboard’s so his wardrobe’s the floor and if I’m ever missing any of my clothes I just go into Harro’s room and I’m bound to find them there. He never washes so I don’t know where he gets his clean undies and socks from.

Harro On Richo
I first met Richo when I was four or five- we went to prep school together and ended up going right through high school together as well. I remember Richo often with a bad temper and he spat the dummy a lot. He was a hog at football because he never used to handball or pass. If he didn’t play well he’d sook for a couple of days.
We both moved to Melbourne at the same time and after living in Melbourne for a while Richo and I decided to get a place together with a couple of mates. I’ve always lived with Richo and Pearcey- the fourth person is never around. We’re pretty good mates- we live together, work together at the Rose Hotel and play footy together. I found out about my move from Carlton to Richmond on our final training day last year and I was at work when I got the call. I spoke to Carlton officials and then Robert Walls and Brian Waldron. I was happy about the move and the transition has been easy- the guys at Richmond are great. I knew the Gales, Bondy and Richo because they’re all from Tasmania.

Harro on Housework and Cooking.
To be honest Richo’s the best. If there’s a piece of paper on the floor, Richo wouldn’t be able to let it lie there, he’ll have to go and pick it up whereas Pearcey and I just wouldn’t care. Basically Richo does any cleaning that gets done. I think the fact that I’m messy annoys him a lot. He organises us to pay the rent and the bills, otherwise it wouldn’t get done. He has all the money too.
Cooking we don’t do a lot of- I’m hopeless, Richo’s not too bad and Pearcey’s alright, but he’s too lazy to be bothered. Most of the time we just eat out or get take-away.

Richo’s Room.
His room’s quite neat. He’s got about 10 pairs of shoes and they are the only things he has on the floor. Everything else is in the closet. In Richo’s room he’s got heaps of clothes and he thinks they’re pretty good top-of-the-range stuff. There’s also a full-length mirror in his room and he stands in front of that for a while- that’s after he’s done his hair, which takes a good half an hour or so.

Offline ferring

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Articles on Richo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »
And this is the next one.  ;)

Richo, the bare facts.
By Shane Crawford. ‘97

Glamour boy, spectacular aerialist, goal-kicking superstar and renowned athlete are platitudes associated with Richmond idol Matthew Richardson.
There might be a grain of truth in the sequence of glowing clichés you hear whenever Matthew’s name is mentioned and I’ll admit I’ve been an admirer of his freakish ability.
But what do we really know about this shy, sensitive player, the son of bull who burst on the scene in 1993 and has captured the hearts of thousands of tiger fans?
I made it my job this week to find out, to delve into Richardson’s lifestyle like nobody has done before. Nothing has been left unturned; we have relied on many sources, discovering Richo has many qualities…and many foibles.
Did you know that he sleeps naked with his socks on?  :o
That he is a Lego freak and his Mum still has his trains and stations in the garage at home? That he is impatient; he cannot stand still and knows the names of all the spice girls? These are a few teasers in the casual but high-profile lifestyle of the Men for all Seasons calendar boy.
But here are 10 things nobody else knows about Richardson.
1.   He was a contented baby until his sister Samantha, was born and he had to share his Mum’s attention.
2.   Academically he was bright, but his school marks could have been better had he spent less time at sport.
3.   His grandma Jessie built him the handball target he used throughout his junior career. His parents had to leave the target behind in Tasmania, much to his disappointment.
4.   Footballing Dad Alan did not pressure him into continuing with football and allowed him to develop at his own rate.
5.   Reliable sources tell me he is showing worrying signs of thinning on top.
6.   He is another who eats a Mars Bar before every game.
7.   He is meticulously tidy in his bedroom and as a youngster used to become upset if things were left lying around.
8.   His habit of leaving the toilet door open does annoy.
9.   His locker is filled with adoring letters, which takes him longer than most to open.
10.   He has a fascination with John Travolta and believes he has the same moves on the dance floor.

All that aside I have the greatest respect for Matthew for the way in which he has recovered from a knee reconstruction, and an injury that could have been a huge blow to a player of his style.
I’m going through ankle problems and know the frustrations an injury causes.
Yet I feel that in later years there is still an exciting opportunity in Hollywood for Matthew or his management group Club 10 to cash in on.
He is the perfect double (so his team-mates tell me) for Chewbacca, the big hairy kind-hearted creature in Star Wars.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:01:13 PM »
thanks for those ferring..

Priceless

Wait til Julz sees 'em ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 07:45:05 AM »
Music to my eyes and ears.

Who'd have thought Richo would be a clean freak? :thumbsup

Offline ferring

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:33:18 AM »
Glad you liked them Julz.
I think I have another if you're interested.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:48:51 PM »
Yes please.