Author Topic: Liam McBean [merged]  (Read 167771 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Liam McBean [merged]
« Reply #465 on: July 06, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
Did you watch coburg last year?

Did Geelong get it wrong with Hawkins?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #466 on: July 06, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
nice deflection, but it doesn't answer the question, or change it's point.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #467 on: July 06, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
I don't think a young forward could have developed in that coburg side, no.
did Geelong get it wrong by playing Hawkins in The ones from that start

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #468 on: July 06, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
again, nice deflections, but still not addressing the point at hand.
You aiming to get a job as dimma's spin doctor?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #469 on: July 06, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
Geelongs list, coaching, and systems (drafting etc) are so far advanced yo cCoburg/Richmond VFL iI believe you analogy is not correct.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #470 on: July 06, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
Just my opinion but some blokes, and I think McBean could be one of them, will just rise to the level they are playing in.
He doesn't play that crash and bash type roll he is more like the Gunston type. He seems really smart, has great agility and is a decent kick for goal. Would only need a few chances a game and he would hit the scoreboard.
He would get a match up like a Mackie from Geelong, not a massive man either so I'm confident he would be fine out there.
Just play the kid, he could be the other shining light of the year along side Miles. Cannot be any worse than Petterd or Griffiths.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #471 on: July 06, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
so if our list, coaching and system is so poor, how is playing non physically matured kid who is yet to show any real consistency at the lower level, in the seniors the best way to develop his football.

If these thing count against him at the lower level, how do they magically improve and help him at a higher level?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
Just my opinion but some blokes, and I think McBean could be one of them, will just rise to the level they are playing in.
He doesn't play that crash and bash type roll he is more like the Gunston type. He seems really smart, has great agility and is a decent kick for goal. Would only need a few chances a game and he would hit the scoreboard.
He would get a match up like a Mackie from Geelong, not a massive man either so I'm confident he would be fine out there.
Just play the kid, he could be the other shining light of the year along side Miles. Cannot be any worse than Petterd or Griffiths.

Yes some do. To make the call you need a better insight than any of us have looking in from the outside, and even some will surprise you. I'm not saying dont give them a go, but to me this isnt about whether they will do better or worse than those already in the side, but the notion that some have hat the only, or best way to develop someone is to just throw them in the seniors. For a select few, that is the case, but for many, it is not.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
so if our list, coaching and system is so poor, how is playing non physically matured kid who is yet to show any real consistency at the lower level, in the seniors the best way to develop his football.

If these thing count against him at the lower level, how do they magically improve and help him at a higher level?

I think you make a valid point Al, also I recall the club saying that he was very close to getting a game last year so I would imagine given another 2 or 3 good games in the VFL and he gets his chance.
It's taken a bit to get his body right this year and in a few weeks hopefully we can also say that about his form and confidence.
He goes in to the seniors slightly under done and it's probably a set back in his development.
He seems very talented so we want to get this one right.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

tony_montana

« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »

I think you make a valid point Al, also I recall the club saying that he was very close to getting a game last year so I would imagine given another 2 or 3 good games in the VFL and he gets his chance.
It's taken a bit to get his body right this year and in a few weeks hopefully we can also say that about his form and confidence.
He goes in to the seniors slightly under done and it's probably a set back in his development.
He seems very talented so we want to get this one right.

agree with this - give him a few more weeks to make sure he's 100% ready to go after an interrupted preparation and then bring on the beanster.

the claw

« Reply #475 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
some good points on both sides of the debate. all are relevant.

obviously  the ideal is to have players perform and develop in the twos. our problem is over the past three or more yrs our set up and in particular structures in the twos have not made for good consistent performances week in week out.besides it may not be form that gets players selected but improvement in certain areas. i know that doesnt sound right i hope people get the gist.

ffs we have one of the poorest midfield groups going around at vfl level imo and it has improved a fair bit this yr. we lack tall defenders so fwds have been played back, how do they impress and force a game if they are out of position. we have tall fwds with no or lousy supply far too often how do they impress.
we have continually either by design or been  forced to play so many out of position. sometimes it cant be all about performance.

and finally what also has to be considered is the obvious things like being physically capable of going up.  not to mention where we are at overall. by overall i mean for weeks now there has been a real case or need for us to play kids for the experince.  just like we did in 10 11 and 12.
if mcbean can play as a gunston type then play him. he certainly cant be played as a contested marking player atm.

finally i dont think playing riewoldt whos slow, and two 200cm plus players as fwds practicable. it wont work.  those 2 200cm players must as a priority be able to crash packs and actually take contested marks, if they cant we may as well play smaller quicker more agile blokes who can do the same thing.
will say it one more time we need a gunston type and we need a power fwd not 200cm bean poles so few make it as fwds. atm

playing mcbean atm cant be a bad thing for the club or the player not when we consider our current circumstances.  we should be in full on development mode for the rest of the season its just plain old common sense.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #476 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Hardwick and development don't go hand in hand!

Play McBean!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #477 on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »
VIDEO: McBean's 5 goals ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-07-07/mcbeans-fivegoal-run

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Improving McBean enjoying more influence
John Lindon 
July 7, 2014 12:53 PM

Developing Richmond tall forward Liam McBean is enjoying his licence to roam further up the ground, after being dissatisfied with his quieter games since his return from finger surgery.

McBean wanted to have an impact when he wasn’t hitting the scoreboard, and Richmond VFL coach Tim Clarke encouraged the 19-year-old to win the ball outside of the forward 50.

“I was a bit frustrated being left at full forward and couldn’t really get into the game, so it was good to get up the ground and play as a higher forward, work overtime and get my hands on the footy more,” McBean said.

Read more and the full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-07-07/improving-mcbean-enjoying-more-influence

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #478 on: July 07, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
The comparison to gunston is prob the best one I've heard, he has a unique skill set for a tall. We won't know until he experiences senior footy what he ll be able to get away with as snaps through traffic will be a bit harder I would have thought
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »
The comparison to gunston is prob the best one I've heard, he has a unique skill set for a tall. We won't know until he experiences senior footy what he ll be able to get away with as snaps through traffic will be a bit harder I would have thought

Dont like hearing the words snaps and mcbean together