Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 925199 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2415 on: February 17, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
Enough with:

1/ Avoiding the swear filter

2/ Abusing other posters.

I suggest some poeple re-acquaint themselves with OER's posting guidelines

Some of the rubbish I've just deleted will not be tolerated.  :banghead :banghead

I don't care who started it. I am not interested in finger pointing

The message is very simple just stick to the topic or face being banned

WP

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2416 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.

MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.

Jack we cant practise kicking long until we start hitting targets under pressure over 20-30 metres. Can't build the world in the day.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2417 on: February 17, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
Excellent report and pics MT & OE!  :thumbsup  :bow

I have one question.....any work on the Protected zone??  :rollin :rollin

Stupid Friggin rule..

I propose that if a player accidentally finds himself in the AFL's equivalent of Sarajevo, that he lies down and plays dead wombat style until the snipers leave the area. Either that or we go for a new cammo strip or sophisticated cloaking devices proudly supplied by Dick Smith! I thinks thats the only way we can survive this hellish rule!!!  :banghead
LOL nah no protected zone crap :banghead. Although supporters behind the goals need a protected zone from wayward shots  :yep

when is next training @ punt road ?
Not sure about Punt Rd. They could be training there Friday morning but I'm not sure. Saturday 8.30am at Highgate is the word going around for those who can't make weekday training sessions.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2418 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
MT, If you are behind the goals and getting hit by footy's, isn't that a good thing? Unless of course you are talking about our defenders.  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2419 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
MT, If you are behind the goals and getting hit by footy's, isn't that a good thing?
Not if you're standing near the point post  :nope.

Mind you that's not as bad as people who park their car or 4WD just around from the goals  :help. They must be after an insurance claim  ;D.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2420 on: February 18, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
MT, If you are behind the goals and getting hit by footy's, isn't that a good thing?

Mind you that's not as bad as people who park their car or 4WD just around from the goals  :help. They must be after an insurance claim  ;D.
Maybe another opportunity for a sponsor...say...AAMI?? they could do their Ads live!  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2421 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
Just off the topic for a minute

I just wanted to apologise for accidently deleting a couple of posts from this thread last night

While I was removing some rubbish posts yesterday I have stuffed up and selected a couple of posts that I shouldn't have. I am working on trying to get them back but it isn't looking good.

So to the folks concerned = Jack & Infamy I do apologise

WP
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2422 on: February 18, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
Hopefully we've now got the missing posts back in the right place :wallywink

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2423 on: February 18, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »

Maybe another opportunity for a sponsor...say...AAMI?? they could do their Ads live!  :lol
:lol

Dustin Martin can do the "What about me! I never kick badly but they get the same $ as I get. What about me!" part  ;)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2424 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.

MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.

Jack we cant practise kicking long until we start hitting targets under pressure over 20-30 metres. Can't build the world in the day.

No, what they are trying to acheive is near impossible,
The game plan is based on kicking through congestion, and kicking the ball 20 metres through congestion and moving the ball through the "'cluster/zones "'It dont work and it certainly didnt work sat night, hasnt work for 5 years .
Watch Geelong or any of the good sides kick into space to the advantage of team mates.
We kick into congestion only to have the ball turnovered.
The room for error when kicking into space and not in congested play isnt as critcial.
Can tell you this, every AFL can hit up a players from 20 metres, place 3 obstacles in his path and they fail.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2425 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »
No, what they are trying to acheive is near impossible,
The game plan is based on kicking through congestion, and kicking the ball 20 metres through congestion and moving the ball through the "'cluster/zones "'It dont work and it certainly didnt work sat night, hasnt work for 5 years .
Watch Geelong or any of the good sides kick into space to the advantage of team mates.
We kick into congestion only to have the ball turnovered.
The room for error when kicking into space and not in congested play isnt as critcial.
Can tell you this, every AFL can hit up a players from 20 metres, place 3 obstacles in his path and they fail.
I wouldn't say every AFL player based on some Richmond players' footskills and their dicey kicking technique :help. If kicks are falling short or going wide at training then there's no surprise they can't hit targets during a game where there are obstacles in the shape of a rolling opposition zone. Footy is moving in the direction Soccer did where kids coming into the AFL will need elite footskills on both sides of the body. Martin is the modern prototype. With the elite fitness of modern footballers and mass interchanges the speed of the modern player stays at a high level that oppositions can easily pick off an average kick that doesn't go to advantage let alone a heap of clangers like we produce every game that fall short, go wide or go over the head of a teammate even in the clear  :P.

Our off the ball team skills are the worst in the league as well which just multiplies our error rate and goal coasting turnovers. As you said Jack we just don't spread. Now I've seen them practice spreading at training under Hardwick so it's not as though they no longer know what they need to do. Once out on the park against real opposition obviously old unaccountable slack habits die hard  :-\.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2426 on: February 21, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
Nothing mindblowing but according to Nathan Thompson on SEN earlier today Richmond's inability to control and maintain the footy by hitting up targets 20m away is our greatest weakness. If you can't control your possession then in today's footy you're stuffed. So he essentially agrees with Hardwick's back to junior footy clinic style training practising 20m passes.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2427 on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »
The Tigers will train at the following times this week:

- Tuesday 23 February, Punt Road Oval, 10am.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2428 on: February 23, 2010, 08:17:29 AM »

I'm not sure about this. I've been told by a regular attendee that today's session is at Victoria Park

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2429 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »

I'm not sure about this. I've been told by a regular attendee that today's session is at Victoria Park

It is indeed not on the RFC site anymore.  There now is.

- Thursday 25 February, Punt Road Oval, 10am.
EAT EM ALIVE!