Author Topic: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45  (Read 13855 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Gas retires / Retirment of big name tiger SEN @ 1:45
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=42572

The Richmond Football Club expressed its gratitude to the lanky defender in a media release today.

"An All-Australian representative and Jack Dyer Medallist, Gaspar has been an outstanding player and servant to the Richmond Football Club," it read.

“His highly competitive nature, courage and negating ability are both admired and revered as he took on the best AFL goalscorers, week in and week out for 14 seasons.

"The Richmond Football Club would like to formally congratulate Gaspar on a wonderful career, thank him for his service to our Club and we look forward to his continued involvement at Tigerland."

DARREN GASPAR: A CAREER

DOB – 20/05/1976

Recruited from South Fremantle

Drafted by Sydney in the 1993 AFL National Draft, as a priority selection (No. 1 overall). AFL Debut: 1994

Played 21 games for Sydney

Drafted to Richmond from Sydney in the 1996 Draft as a pre-season selection. Played 207 games for Richmond, including three finals

Achievements:

1997 – Richmond Third Best and Fairest

2000 – Richmond Second Best and Fairest, All-Australian honours,

2001 – Richmond Best and Fairest, All-Australian honours and International Rules Series

2003 – Richmond FC Life Member

letsgetiton!

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
3 things that make me wonder and make my head explode

1/ how the hell was gaspar rated so highly and was a no1 draft pick
2/ how the hell did he win a JD medal
3/ how the hell did he make AA

all without being able to kick, handpass and fumble so often

just shows we live in a strange wierd world

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
More to this than meets the eye ;)
Exactly spot on as per usual Jackstar.
This aint the end of it and a good chance of more to follow.
The Tiger board will be meeting next week to consider some major decisions regarding its onfield operations.
Brace yourselves. :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
The Tiger board will be meeting next week to consider some major decisions regarding its onfield operations.
Just as we're finally making the right decisions regarding the future of our playing list  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »
I assume this may resolve around Millers role???

Playing more kids,Gas gone,Tiv,Krak and P BO at Coburg ,Millers role possibly reduced..

The good news keeps rolling in  :cheers

Now if only we could win a game

Life goes on

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »
This is my view on things.

1/ For the first time in a long time, the club has a direction.
Up till the start of last weeks game, I dont think we had any direction(Both on the field and with club direction) eg Kick it to Richo mentality  and not playing the kids etc.
 Last week we seen a change in game plan and playing of young kids. We seen a change in structure although its only taken a pre-season and five games to get a change in direction. Would say that the pre-saseon and the first 5 rounds have been a disaster and anyone who disagrees with that has there head in the clouds

Todays events should never ever of happened , why ? Because the club made a HUGE mistake giving him another contract and throwing $150,000 down the drain ( Dont know how many memberships that adds too )
The club chose Gas instead of Chubba.
The club should of cut both but didnt, reason being that there vision and direction for the future was clouded and it has was only this week that the penny has dropped or ""someone"" has pushed the button.?
I might add that Darren Gaspar is a life member of the Richmond Football Club and deserved better. Gas has just become a father of twins last week and then his place of employment decides to cut him, dont know how people on this website would  cope getting the flick in similar circumstances. ::)
I Beleive that the club have managed this poorly should of never talked him into playing this year only to cut him after 5 games.

Now ,lets move forward, as of today the club is looking at the future and know seems to have a direction or vision for the future, well done RFC, pity its 5 rounds and a pre-season too late but, we are on our way! Lets see young kids played, lets see a chnage it game plan and not that ""Kick it to Richo mentality""
The next few weeks will be of interest.

Life goes on

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »

CORRECT! ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »
3 things that make me wonder and make my head explode

1/ how the hell was gaspar rated so highly and was a no1 draft pick
2/ how the hell did he win a JD medal
3/ how the hell did he make AA

all without being able to kick, handpass and fumble so often

just shows we live in a strange wierd world
Different game for a FB now to what it is then. If you were a good stopper then that sufficed and Gas was one of the best pre-knee as he was one of best judges of the flight of the incoming ball. The game has changed dramatically since 2001 and with it these pure stoppers have been left behind. A defender now needs to be attacking as well as know when to lock back on to the forward and has to be one of the most precise kicks in the team as so many attacks start from the backline now.

Moi

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2007, 05:52:10 PM »
You're amusing Jack.

After 5 defeats you say we have direction.
Before the season without a game being played you said we were stuffed.

I know we're going in the right direction or at least making the right decisions.  Whether they come off that's for the Gods!

Life goes on

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »
Dont know why you think I am amusing. I dont !
Tell it how I see it.
Been going nowhere for the entire pre season and first 5 rounds.

The club has finally taken a stance, albeit way too late.
Its amazing how many people bag Alistair Clarkson and the dawks but at least they have a firm direction that they are taking the playing list and club, not saying its right but its a direction and plan

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »
1/ For the first time in a long time, the club has a direction.
Up till the start of last weeks game, I dont think we had any direction(Both on the field and with club direction) eg Kick it to Richo mentality  and not playing the kids etc.
 Last week we seen a change in game plan and playing of young kids. We seen a change in structure although its only taken a pre-season and five games to get a change in direction. Would say that the pre-saseon and the first 5 rounds have been a disaster and anyone who disagrees with that has there head in the clouds
This change started after the dogs game but I know what you mean and agree. At least they realised they made a mistake and changed Jack. In the long run it won't hurt us. Something Spud never understood  ::).

Todays events should never ever of happened , why ? Because the club made a HUGE mistake giving him another contract and throwing $150,000 down the drain ( Dont know how many memberships that adds too )
The club chose Gas instead of Chubba.
The club should of cut both but didnt, reason being that there vision and direction for the future was clouded and it has was only this week that the penny has dropped or ""someone"" has pushed the button.?
I might add that Darren Gaspar is a life member of the Richmond Football Club and deserved better. Gas has just become a father of twins last week and then his place of employment decides to cut him, dont know how people on this website would  cope getting the flick in similar circumstances. ::)
I Beleive that the club have managed this poorly should of never talked him into playing this year only to cut him after 5 games.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

McGuane doesn't look like getting a game at all 2 months ago. Thursty was coming back from a knee. Moore is/was injury prone. You also said Jack that Polak would spend most of this year at Coburg  ;). Who would play KP defence for us then without Gas on the list? Joel and who?

Gas is also a veteran so as far as our salary cap goes he came cheap.

Now ,lets move forward, as of today the club is looking at the future and know seems to have a direction or vision for the future, well done RFC, pity its 5 rounds and a pre-season too late but, we are on our way! Lets see young kids played, lets see a chnage it game plan and not that ""Kick it to Richo mentality""
The next few weeks will be of interest.
Agree to look and move forward.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »

Gas has just become a father of twins last week and then his place of employment decides to cut him, dont know how people on this website would  cope getting the flick in similar circumstances.

If it was my last year there and I was being paid out, I'd cope just fine.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Life goes on

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »

Gas has just become a father of twins last week and then his place of employment decides to cut him, dont know how people on this website would  cope getting the flick in similar circumstances.

If it was my last year there and I was being paid out, I'd cope just fine.

Actually I would cope fine too if i was on $150,000

Life goes on

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
Hey MT, being on the veterans list means that half of his salary is not included in the cap, $150,000 is no laughing matter

Ox

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »
Well,It'a the best birthday present I've had in a long time...just wish i was 10 years younger to enjoy it :sleep