Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 177118 times)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #510 on: August 05, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »
I actually like the idea of short roaming forward. He’s in range from 60m!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #511 on: August 05, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »
Bolton needs to stay mid. They can hardly touch him!

What's his contract status? Needs a big extension!

Is Ralph Carr still his manager?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #512 on: August 05, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »
Bolton needs to stay mid. They can hardly touch him!

What's his contract status? Needs a big extension!

Is Ralph Carr still his manager?

Yes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #513 on: August 05, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »
He has been unbelievable since he has come back from being dropped.
Our best player at the moment.

Leave him in the middle, his pace and skill is killing teams.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #514 on: August 07, 2020, 03:11:27 AM »
Pickett's blind turn but watch Bolton's ninja ghost move between Neale & Zorko....

https://gfycat.com/thinminiatureanole

:shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #515 on: August 07, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »
Pickett's blind turn but watch Bolton's ninja ghost move between Neale & Zorko....

https://gfycat.com/thinminiatureanole

:shh

Thanks for the share. Honestly had to watch it a few times to see what Bolton was doing haha.

Good ruck work also. And some want Chol dropped! Ha

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
Shai Bolton continues to emerge as an important figure in the midfield, and enjoyed a career-high 24 disposals, including six clearances and a 70-metre goal, against the Lions.

He and Dustin Martin, also with 24 touches and three goal assists in a back-to-back best-on-ground performance against the Lions, have been dynamic.

"He (Bolton) has been terrific. He is a player we have tried to get into the midfield at various stages but haven't really had the opportunity with other personnel available," Hardwick said.

"He has grabbed that opportunity. He is only going to get better once he gets fitter and learns the role even more so."

Source: The Age

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #517 on: August 08, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »
Bolts was our only clearance winner. Won 4 of our 5 (yes a total of just 5) centre clearances.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #518 on: August 08, 2020, 10:48:05 PM »
Was solid. Needed help but didn’t get any and had to try to read Soldo’s taps to the opposition.

Missed cotchin. Can’t wait till meatball is fit.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #519 on: August 09, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »
So happy he drifted in his draft year which allowed us to select him - we were very surprised he was available with our first pick :shh
He is so good around the ball and can't wait to see him and Edwards mesmerizing the oppo later in the year.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
Would be really interested to see his first half stats compared to his second

Reckon he drifts out of games .. this will improve with time

The bloke is a jet

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #521 on: August 09, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
Shai Bolton v Port
7 disposals 1st quarter.
6 disposals 2nd quarter.
0 disposals 3rd quarter.
3 disposals 4th quarter.

He isn’t fit enough for four quarters at this stage of his development and a first half in the middle allows for more flexibility when Cotchin Edwards and Prestia come back into the team.

Last week was a genuine four quarter effort.
Shai Bolton v Lions
9 disp 1qtr
4 disp 2qtr
5 disp 3qtr
6 disp 4qtr

Against the bulldogs his second half was better than his first half
The club that keeps giving.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The sliding doors moment which launched Tiger Shai Bolton to next level (HSun)
« Reply #522 on: August 17, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
The sliding doors moment which launched Tiger Shai Bolton to next level

Shai Bolton was dropped for Round 5 after Richmond went winless in three games. More than a month on the talented Tiger cub has become a star for the reigning premiers. Go inside his rise from cub to Tiger.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson
Herald-Sun
August 17, 2020

Richmond assistant coach Andrew McQualter had two bits of good news for the Tigers livewire forward Shai Bolton ahead of Round 6.

The first was that the 21-year-old would be returning to the Tigers senior side, after being dropped for the previous match against Melbourne following three winless games for Richmond.

The second, and perhaps more importantly a month on, was because of reigning club best and fairest Dion Prestia’s syndesmosis injury, Trent Cotchin’s hamstring niggle and Shane Edwards staying in Melbourne the Tigers cub would be shifted to Richmond’s midfield.

Bolton had been a vital cog in the Tigers “mosquito fleet” of small quick forward that have helped the claim two flags in three years – although he did not play in the 2017 Grand Final.

But ever since the Western Australian came to Richmond with the 29th pick of the 2016 Draft he has wanted to get a go in the Tigers’ engine room.

Damien Hardwick and the Richmond coaching staff had suspected the 175cm, 76kg Bolton could make a mark in the AFL as a midfielder – after showing some promising signs when deployed there in 2019 before returning to his small forward line for the finals.

Now it was time to see how Bolton would fare.

“It was pretty much injuries (behind the move to the midfield),” Bolton said.

“We had a few out and a few were out for a while like Dion and it gave not just me but a couple of other boys an opportunity to play in the midfield.

“It was Andrew McQualter (who told him) … he pretty much tells me if I’m playing or not, so he ended up telling me (before Round 6) I was going to play in the midfield,” Bolton said.

“I played a little bit there in 2019, I’ve always wanted to get the opportunity to play in the midfield so I wasn’t shocked when he told me, just happy I would get a go.”

In the five games since Bolton got the nod he has made the move from the mosquito fleet to midfield as smooth as the way he plays the game.

Since Round 6 Bolton is ranked No. 3 for clearances at the Tigers (3.3 per game), second for metres gained (380), first for score involvements (5.8 ), third in contested possessions (6.3) and fifth in disposals (15.4) making the most of his chance.

In a real sliding doors moment Bolton has gone from out of the team to arguably one of Richmond’s most important players as the Tigers began to again bare their teeth.

“It’s opportunity, someone goes down injured and Shai grabs it (with both hands),” Hardwick said.

“He’s an exciting talent, he’s starting to really understand what’s required to be an AFL midfielder, and he’s only going to get better as he plays more.”

Hardwick said the transition from forward to midfielder was reminiscence of Fremantle superstar Michael Walters, who Bolton bases large parts of his game on.

“The coaches have put in a lot of work into him but Shai to his credit has discovered how to work at AFL level,” Hardwick said.

Bolton said this could be traced back to the summer of 2019, when back in Perth he embarked on a gruelling fitness regimen with personal trainer Saia Wood-Halafihi.

Bolton has always had the talent and ability to do things on the footy field that other players wouldn’t dream of – in his draft year he attempted a handball behind his back to a teammate.

But after the 2018 season Hardwick and other Tigers coaches told Bolton he needed to work on his fitness and defence to break into the Richmond senior side.

“I think that is the most important one, just going back home and getting fit and getting ready for pre-season and coming into the season feeling good about myself,” he said.

Ever since the AFL announced the Tigers annual Dreamtime at the G match would now be played in Darwin, Bolton could be forgiven for counting down the days until that match.

Born in Katanning, 277km southeast of Perth, Bolton has football well and truly in his blood.

His dad Darren played a couple of games for the Dockers, his mum is a Pickett and his mum’s mum was a Krakouer.

A Noongar man, Bolton enlisted all of this for when he designed the Tigers Indigenous guernsey for Saturday night’s match against Essendon.

Bolton wearing the Dreamtime at the G guernsey that he designed with his grandmother and family members. Pic: Michael Klein

“To play the Dreamtime game there will be special,” Bolton said.

“My mum and both my nans helped me with the design of the jumper.

“We pretty much wanted to represent not me and just my culture but everyone else that plays for Richmond so we put some elements in there that represented their names or their tribes in there.

“I didn’t really want to make it about myself, we are playing as one together in the Dreamtime match.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/inside-shai-boltons-sliding-doors-moment-that-has-taken-the-tiger-to-the-next-level/news-story/5734b9be01ef832d4a33e252d107abd8

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
Bolton once again showing he has become a top ballwinning mid :thumbsup.

29 disposals (16k, 13h, 12c, 18u, 72% eff.)
5 marks
5 clearances (3 out of the centre)
544 metres gained
7 inside 50s
4 intercepts
6 score involvements
1 goal

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2020, 01:36:16 PM »
His ability to get out of trouble using his speed and evasiveness was a real highlight. Deserves enormous credit for his game.