Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 925462 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1875 on: July 17, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
Which brings me too your favourite trade MT - Thommo! ;) I still have hope for Thommo. From what I have seen he attacks the ball at every opportunity, he is a great clearance player and strong around the packs but yes, he has no confidence in his kicking. Like you MT, it worries me that he has not even played one game for the side when similiar player-types like Foley, Collins and White have all been injuried at different times this year. He needs a developmental coach working religiously with his on his foot execution to build up his skills and confidence in this area over the preseason or next year will be his last.
In fairness to Thommo he had some weird sternum/rib injury that plagued him this year but at 22 I can't see Thommo's kicking improving up to the level required. IIRC studies have shown you can only improve someone's kicking by at most 5% by the time they reach an AFL list. A good solid instinctive kicking technique has to be formed when you're a kid IMO given the coordination involved.

Speaking of junior development just to go off on a complete tangent, I met some bloke today whose 11 year old son is in Casey's developmental program. Whether it's an AFL initiative or not I'm not sure but they seem to be grooming kids from much earlier ages these days in preparation for the big time. You'd expect in 10-15 years the skills of even the average AFL footballer will be incredible. A bit like what European soccer has gone through where now you need elite footskills to play with the big rich clubs.

Cleve was the only one who was doing serious repetitious goalkicking practice. I was told he is getting better as far as the "issue" he's had and that is showing up in his recent improved form at Coburg which is good news  :).

I think as Polak improves, so will Cleve
Let's hope so wayne  :)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1876 on: July 18, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
In Melbourne for the week, so dropped into Punt Road this morning to get a dose of the winter chills.  Got more than my fair share of chills when I saw Jordie out training with the seniors.

Cuz and Cotch didn't join in with the rest of the squad, they just sort of stood over to one side and watched what was going on.  Cotch left the ground quite early on and then again later in the session with a physio.  Cuz was out there the whole time, but didn't do any of the drills.

Petts and Richo joined in some the exercises, which were mostly handballing and some circle work (with pretend shepherding), but when there was some serious kicking drills, they went over to the outer wing and did run throughs.

Both Cambo and Jade were involved in taking the training session and Jade gave the boys a couple a short pep talks.

Towards the end, Gus and Vickery went off with Cambo for some overhead marking practice.  Whitey was kicking some up and unders and Gus and Vickery were taking turns to mark the ball while Cambo interfered from behind with what looked like a padded baseball bat.  He'd hit them on the head and shoulders from behind as they were taking the catch.  It was quite funny to watch.

As neither Cotch nor Cuz did any running, it was hard to guess if either would miss the game tomorrow.

One thing that I did notice was that Lids looked quite happy out there.  He was laughing and joking around a fair bit, but when they did some goal kicking practice he got pretty serious in a hurry, and his kicking was heads and shoulders better than anyone else out there.  He didn't look like a player who was discontent with contract negotiations.

Training only lasted about 40 minutes and there wasn't much for an inexperienced eye to see.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1877 on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »
Great report Muscles  :thumbsup :cheers

Hopefully with Jordie they are just keeping a 23rd man aside as precaution and there's no late change  :-\. Did Tambling train fully today Muscles?

which were mostly handballing and some circle work (with pretend shepherding)
That's the gameplan according to some of our senior players  :lol

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1878 on: July 18, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
Bling was one of the last out onto the ground at the start of training, MT.  He spent a lot longer than most warming up.  He looked a little sore when he started, but as he warmed up he was moving freely and then joined in full training.

Edit: .... Jacko looked like he was a little worried with some sort of a calf .... He had a physio massage it out but it didn't stop him from doing the full session.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1879 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
Bling was one of the last out onto the ground at the start of training, MT.  He spent a lot longer than most warming up.  He looked a little sore when he started, but as he warmed up he was moving freely and then joined in full training.

Edit: .... Jacko looked like he was a little worried with some sort of a calf .... He had a physio massage it out but it didn't stop him from doing the full session.
Cheers Muscles. Good to hear Blingers is fine. Fingers crossed for Jacko. If there's any risk with that calf then don't play him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1880 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1881 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1882 on: July 30, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
I went down to training this morning at Vic Park.

In the rehab group were Silvester (knee), Gourdis (right hammy), Hughes (wrist), Foley (ankle), Schulz (who was hobbling), Connors (not sure what's wrong), Nahas and Jack. It looked like they were just giving Jack and Robin a light week. Foley goes under the knife shortly. JON trained for the first half of the session then sat out the rest. Petts wasn't there of course with his busted kneecap.

Kel, Collo and Simmo were back in full training. As I said in the other thread Richo got through fine. Browny trained as well. Hislop had his shoulder strapped but trained fully. He wrestled Newy and Cotch but when Cotch wanted to go again he said he couldn't with his shoulder. Tommy then quipped to Cotch 'I'd beat you even with a sore shoulder'.

I can't say much about training itself as it was a closed session. Rawlings was encouraging them to share the ball around and it was basically continuing on from the way we played against Essendon.

So all up Silvester will probably miss. Kel or Rance you'd expect to replace him. You couldn't tell if there'll be any other changes or who all the ins will be.

richmondrules

« Reply #1883 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
I went down to training this morning at Vic Park.

In the rehab group were ... Connors (not sure what's wrong)

McRae in the EOTT said its a hamstring strain.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #1884 on: July 30, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
if u notice the footage right at the end of the bomvbers game u see jack pull up real sore, i think he may have tweeked a groin, maybe thats why he was in the rehab group

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1885 on: July 30, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »
Ta guys. Jack appeared to be moving fine compared to the others so hopefully it was just a minor tweek and he is okay now.

Tigermonk

« Reply #1886 on: August 02, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »
Tiger training will be suspended this week due to the Tigers not losing a game for 3 weeks straight  :gotigers
everyone is in shock so please excuse them  ;D

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1887 on: August 06, 2009, 03:53:10 PM »
I went down to training at Vic Park this morning. A few photographers there, which was surprising for a closed session.Post was in the rehab group, but apparently he trained fully on Tuesday so maybe we shouldn't read too much into it. Cotchin was in the rehab group too, along with Gourdis and Andy Collins.
It was a pretty short session, with a bit of end to end competitive stuff, followed by some goalkicking practice. They were trying to slot bananas from the boundary line into a howling wind that was so strong it was wobbling the goalposts around.
Schulz said he was playing for Coburg this week. 

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1888 on: August 06, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
I went down to training at Vic Park this morning. A few photographers there, which was surprising for a closed session.Post was in the rehab group, but apparently he trained fully on Tuesday so maybe we shouldn't read too much into it. Cotchin was in the rehab group too, along with Gourdis and Andy Collins.
It was a pretty short session, with a bit of end to end competitive stuff, followed by some goalkicking practice. They were trying to slot bananas from the boundary line into a howling wind that was so strong it was wobbling the goalposts around.
Psh, that's easy.  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1889 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
Psh, that's easy.  ;D
They had enough trouble with the ones directly in front at the 'G last week  :wallywink.

Cheers RR  :cheers. Hopefully they were just resting Postie through the week given it's his first year. Any off-field coaching whispers?