Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 924521 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2355 on: January 28, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
Here's some vision of the practice match and training yesterday

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/videoid/51405/trackside+-+richmond/Default.aspx#VideoPlayerB
I know it was only against another 18 year old (Hicks wears #45?) but I liked the part where Martin was able to ride the bump with body and keep his balance over the ball.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2356 on: February 04, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2357 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
Popped down to a wet but warm Punt Rd Oval today. Jack and a few trainers had to pull the covers over the centre wicket when it started to bucket down lol. Training was meant to start at 11am but it didn't get away until around 11.30 and it lasted just over an hour. Not a long session with the intra-club match tomorrow arvo.

By the look of it virtually all the list was present. With a bigger list and so many new faces it's hard to keep track of them all. I didn't see Foley but he's having his op. In rehab were Jacko, McGuane, Roberts, Hicks and another I've missed I think (I'll have to check my photos).

Training began with some kick-to-kick in pairs and then a jog around the oval as a squad. They then split into their forward, midfield and backline groups. The forward group were near us at the Northern end goals so I paid attention mostly towards them. From the memory in the forward line group were Nahas, Jack, Morton, King, Hislop, Polo, Astbury, Nason, Taylor and Polak. They worked on leading up away from goal and marking then having to run back to where they came near goal to mark an incoming footy against a trainer with a bag. This was followed by kicking the ball to Tim Clarke 30m out of from goal who would hit the ball down to the ground and push with a bag the player who had to collect and then have a snap at the goals. We still have lots of work to do on the goal snaps  :P (there was nowhere safe to stand on the Northern bank with the balls flying everywhere and a 4WD parked nearby belonging to one of the construction workers nearly ended up with a dent in its roof lol. The midfield group seemed to be working on one-on-one stuff around contests but like I said I was paying more attention to the forward line.

Next up was the squad as a whole working on spreading from the midfield. A player would receive a long kick near the goal line and then chip it sideways to someone about 15-20m away who would then pass 30m to someone else leading towards the boundary in front of Tim Clarke standing on the mark for the kick back towards the centre. Obviously as part of the (re-)education we've stripped things back to the basics.

Next was technical drill to keep players on their toes literally. Everyone paired up and by the look of it with both players on their toes one had to copy the lateral movement of the other pairing and then grapple on Hardwick's call. Hardwick was emphasizing to keep on your toes and push off your toes into the grapple tackle on each other.

The squad then spread out along the outer wing for run and carrying in numbers with support and then kicking long to leads. Our footskills will still get us into trouble this year (although to be fair it was raining fairly heavily at this stage) but Martin's left foot kick on the run along the boundary over 10 heads to hit the man he intended got the thumbs up from the few supporters nearby.

They finished off with some goalkicking and stretching but heading down to the Southern end for a goalkicking group bonding exercise. The usual thing with the player in the middle with the squad either side of him and he has a shot.

I've got some photos so hopefully they turned out. I'll post them later on. Fire away with any questions  :).

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2358 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
Thanks MT
Is Polak wearing a helmet?
No mention of Griffiths- is he training?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2359 on: February 04, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
Thanks MT
Is Polak wearing a helmet?
No mention of Griffiths- is he training?
Polak - no helmet today but there was no heavy full-on contact. I'd expect him to continue to wear a helmet during actual games.

I didn't notice Griffiths out there. I'll check my photos just in case I missed him.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2360 on: February 04, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
I cant see a problem with anyone wearing a helmet, let alone someone who has the head injury like Polak has. Actually he is mad not to wear one. A collision like Rance was involved in would most likely end his career without a helmet on.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2361 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
I cant see a problem with anyone wearing a helmet, let alone someone who has the head injury like Polak has. Actually he is mad not to wear one. A collision like Rance was involved in would most likely end his career without a helmet on.
And a collision that could also risk Polly's life. Good to hear Dimma say Polly is doing better than expected and is a bonus player. Hopefully he can play most games this year so we have a big experienced body out there amongst the cubs.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2362 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the report MT... :thumbsup. Do you think the players in the rehab group are actually injured or are we just taking precautionary measures with them?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2363 on: February 04, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the report MT... :thumbsup. Do you think the players in the rehab group are actually injured or are we just taking precautionary measures with them?
Jacko has a slight hammy IIRC but by the look of it the others are precautionary especially the newbies who don't have the AFL fitness base yet. Roberts and Hicks were doing laps and short distance runs at the end of training.

ps. Mopsy, I checked my photos and Griffiths was out there training today :thumbsup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2364 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
Cotch was the fifth on in the rehab group btw but he was only there for a short while as we saw him training with the main squad. IIRC Hardwick said Cotch is doing 85% of training at the moment.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2365 on: February 04, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
Popped down to a wet but warm Punt Rd Oval today. Jack and a few trainers had to pull the covers over the centre wicket when it started to bucket down lol. Training was meant to start at 11am but it didn't get away until around 11.30 and it lasted just over an hour. Not a long session with the intra-club match tomorrow arvo.

By the look of it virtually all the list was present. With a bigger list and so many new faces it's hard to keep track of them all. I didn't see Foley but he's having his op. In rehab were Jacko, McGuane, Roberts, Hicks and another I've missed I think (I'll have to check my photos).

Training began with some kick-to-kick in pairs and then a jog around the oval as a squad. They then split into their forward, midfield and backline groups. The forward group were near us at the Northern end goals so I paid attention mostly towards them. From the memory in the forward line group were Nahas, Jack, Morton, King, Hislop, Polo, Astbury, Nason, Taylor and Polak. They worked on leading up away from goal and marking then having to run back to where they came near goal to mark an incoming footy against a trainer with a bag. This was followed by kicking the ball to Tim Clarke 30m out of from goal who would hit the ball down to the ground and push with a bag the player who had to collect and then have a snap at the goals. We still have lots of work to do on the goal snaps  :P (there was nowhere safe to stand on the Northern bank with the balls flying everywhere and a 4WD parked nearby belonging to one of the construction workers nearly ended up with a dent in its roof lol. The midfield group seemed to be working on one-on-one stuff around contests but like I said I was paying more attention to the forward line.

Next up was the squad as a whole working on spreading from the midfield. A player would receive a long kick near the goal line and then chip it sideways to someone about 15-20m away who would then pass 30m to someone else leading towards the boundary in front of Tim Clarke standing on the mark for the kick back towards the centre. Obviously as part of the (re-)education we've stripped things back to the basics.

Next was technical drill to keep players on their toes literally. Everyone paired up and by the look of it with both players on their toes one had to copy the lateral movement of the other pairing and then grapple on Hardwick's call. Hardwick was emphasizing to keep on your toes and push off your toes into the grapple tackle on each other.

The squad then spread out along the outer wing for run and carrying in numbers with support and then kicking long to leads. Our footskills will still get us into trouble this year (although to be fair it was raining fairly heavily at this stage) but Martin's left foot kick on the run along the boundary over 10 heads to hit the man he intended got the thumbs up from the few supporters nearby.

They finished off with some goalkicking and stretching but heading down to the Southern end for a goalkicking group bonding exercise. The usual thing with the player in the middle with the squad either side of him and he has a shot.

I've got some photos so hopefully they turned out. I'll post them later on. Fire away with any questions  :).

look forward to the photos

Tiggytam

« Reply #2366 on: February 04, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
Hi MT, I have noticed that Luke hasn't been training with the main squad for the last couple of sessions, do you know what his problem is? 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2367 on: February 04, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
Hi MT, I have noticed that Luke hasn't been training with the main squad for the last couple of sessions, do you know what his problem is? 
Not sure Tiggytam. Did he have an ankle injury at one stage late last year? I can't remember.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2368 on: February 04, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
The rain and me dodging footys while trying to take photos seems to have blurred the pics a touch. I've posted the "best" of the bunch.

Pics of today's (Thurs) training  :cheers.

Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Squad pics

Lining up for run and carry drill

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2369 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »
Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Dosey doe on the toes drill // Leppitsch instructing O'Reilly and Grimes on banana kicks through the goals

The rubber band drill