Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 924509 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2400 on: February 16, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks OE for the photos, geat to see them working the stoppages, looks like one of the areas we failed in on Saturday night is being addressed.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2401 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
awesome MT!

Alex Rance and Troy Taylor???

Alex Rance: did he train? and did Hardwick speak to him during training? not a good sign if he was sub-off during the second quarter.

Troy Taylor: did he train? isn't his court hearing or something on Thursday?

you mentioned about our forward group, any other talls apart from Riewoldt worked with the forward group?

:)
Yes Rance and Taylor were out there. Taylor was in the forward line group. His hearing is on Thursday Feb 18 IIRC. I only saw Rance once in the first drill. Presumably he was with the backline group who were at the other end of the ground from where I was. I didn't see Hardwick talk to Alex specifically but that's no to say he hasn't since Saturday night.

The forward talls were Jack, Polak, Astbury and Westhoff now I've checked my photos. Griffiths ran laps as mentioned.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2402 on: February 17, 2010, 01:06:45 AM »
MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.
I agree they should kick longer and move the ball faster Jack especially out of defence but the frightening fact is the 20-30m "Robert Harvey" kick should be a bread and butter kick at AFL level and too many of our blokes can't be relied on to do it. Even when you look at them just kick from point A to point B the receiver too often either has to change direction, stop and prop, or marks the ball on the non-advantage side which in a real game would be spoiled by an opponent. Add to that too many kicks are slow up and unders out of the backline which hold up and make it too easy for the opposition to reach the footy.

Off the top of the head you can easily rattle off 10 or more Tigers who are poor-to-unreliable kicks mostly due to them not having a sound kicking technique... Polly, Polo, McGuane, Rance, Tuck, Jacko, King, Hislop, Thomson, Gourdis, White, Browne.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2403 on: February 17, 2010, 01:15:29 AM »
Was there any positives out of the training MT, no offence, your reports are great and really identify the same players that are letting us down and they must improve, alas I don't think the ones you have named can.

What about skill of Roberts, Taylor etc.. did anyone elso stand out that we can pin our future hopes on the may just sneak in to round one?....

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2404 on: February 17, 2010, 01:32:34 AM »
Was there any positives out of the training MT, no offence, your reports are great and really identify the same players that are letting us down and they must improve, alas I don't think the ones you have named can.

What about skill of Roberts, Taylor etc.. did anyone elso stand out that we can pin our future hopes on the may just sneak in to round one?....
Roberts' footskills look okay from the little of him I've seen while Taylor made a couple of blues today against the rolling zone but that was more due to poor decision making (telegraphed a kick that needed to be pinpoint). His kicking in the intra-club looked fine.

This year is a development year (footy speak for a total write-off). There's so many issues we need to deal with as a side both as a team and as individuals, it'll take more than 12 months and at least another cleanout at the end of the season to start seeing them being corrected. Hardwick just needs to spend this year teaching and weeding out those who can't follow basic team strategy, who can't kick reliably enough, who continually make the same poor decisions with the footy, and those who can't win enough of footy to influence a game positively for the team.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2405 on: February 17, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »
Cheers MT, thought as much (sigh), never mind lots of positives to look forward to... :thumbsup

"Rucks:

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2406 on: February 17, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.
I agree they should kick longer and move the ball faster Jack especially out of defence but the frightening fact is the 20-30m "Robert Harvey" kick should be a bread and butter kick at AFL level and too many of our blokes can't be relied on to do it. Even when you look at them just kick from point A to point B the receiver too often either has to change direction, stop and prop, or marks the ball on the non-advantage side which in a real game would be spoiled by an opponent. Add to that too many kicks are slow up and unders out of the backline which hold up and make it too easy for the opposition to reach the footy.

Off the top of the head you can easily rattle off 10 or more Tigers who are poor-to-unreliable kicks mostly due to them not having a sound kicking technique... Polly, Polo, McGuane, Rance, Tuck, Jacko, King, Hislop, Thomson, Gourdis, White, Browne.

correct.
Plus we dont spread enough when we have possesion.
We have too many players in close proximty to the ball carrier, thus we have no option to kick short.
BAD GAME PLAN

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2407 on: February 17, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »

correct.
We have too many players in close proximty to the ball carrier, thus we have no option to kick short.
BAD GAME PLAN

And yet when Collins spreads and goes forward then gets caught on the rebound by a crap kick you hook into him?

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2408 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »

correct.
BAD GAME PLAN

And yet when Collins spreads and goes forward then gets caught on the rebound by a crap kick you hook into him?

Problem there is he pays NO repsect to his direct opponent, there lies a huge problem with Collins

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2409 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »

correct.
BAD GAME PLAN

Problem there is he pays NO repsect to his direct opponent, there lies a huge problem with Collins
How can a player spread and provide an option up field yet remain accountable at the same time?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:17:38 PM by one-eyed »

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2410 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »

correct.
BAD GAME PLAN

How can a player spread and provide an option up field yet remain accountable at the same time?

Yes, you sure can , try and get to the nearest opponnent or tell a teammate to get back on his man,
Something that Will Thursfield and McGaune surprising do very well, McGaune especially.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2411 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
Excellent report and pics MT & OE!  :thumbsup  :bow

I have one question.....any work on the Protected zone??  :rollin :rollin

Stupid Friggin rule..

I propose that if a player accidentally finds himself in the AFL's equivalent of Sarajevo, that he lies down and plays dead wombat style until the snipers leave the area. Either that or we go for a new cammo strip or sophisticated cloaking devices proudly supplied by Dick Smith! I thinks thats the only way we can survive this hellish rule!!!  :banghead

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2412 on: February 17, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
awww i don't like seeing WAT upset!

From what i can tell, Jack is some immense faultless football guru... So i'll conceed that i don't know as much about the game as you do. Having said that how on earth can you be critical of a game plan that is being executed by footballers with questionable size and skill (not Hardwicks fault). As well as having numerous new players, in a NAB cup, against one of the best drilled sides in the comp.

It appears to me that Hardwick is intending to develop a simple instinctive game plan, only match day practice is going to make it cohesive.

But then what do i know...
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2413 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »
Cool. I will be there.
Bents, can you find out how far away McGuane is. We need all the size we can get down back.

I ended up sleeping in.  :(

when is next training @ punt road ?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2414 on: February 17, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
awww i don't like seeing WAT upset!

From what i can tell, Jack is some immense faultless football guru... So i'll conceed that i don't know as much about the game as you do. Having said that how on earth can you be critical of a game plan that is being executed by footballers with questionable size and skill (not Hardwicks fault). As well as having numerous new players, in a NAB cup, against one of the best drilled sides in the comp.

It appears to me that Hardwick is intending to develop a simple instinctive game plan, only match day practice is going to make it cohesive.

But then what do i know...

You obviously know enough, and you are dead right, we cannot bag a game plan that has had one run against a premiership contender, the players need to adapt and that will take time. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:51:25 PM by WA Tiger »

"Rucks: