Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 924518 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #4741 on: February 05, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4742 on: February 07, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
A couple of pics from training this morning:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1490530204007030787

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4743 on: February 07, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4744 on: February 10, 2022, 02:56:25 PM »
Just got back from training. Nice day outside. I turned up just for the scratch match.

Absent/Didn't see: Riewoldt, RCD, Lynch.

Rehab: Lambert, Graham, Grimes, Clarke, Banks, Ralphsmith.

Worried about Kane. He's still moving gingerly. Doubtful he will play round 1 as it stands.

Grimes did some jogging. I'm guessing he'll be a week or two before he gets back to main training.

The others were doing 200m runs. They don't look too far away.

The main squad was split into black and white jumpers and had a 4-quarter scratch match of 13 min quarters.

Black Fwds:  Balta#, Baker#, Caddy#, Stack.
White Backs: Vlastuin, Short, Broad, Miller, Biggie.

Black mids: Dusty, Aarts, McIntosh, Sonsie, Soldo*, Cotch*, Edwards*, Dow (1st half)
White mids: Ross, Bolton, Martyn, Parker*, Pickett, Nank*, Dow (2nd half), Prestia (played first half).

Black backs: Tarrant, Gibcus, D.Rioli, Brown, Mansell.
White Fwds: Castagna, Cumberland, Ryan#, M.Rioli.

* - played mostly midfield but also spent time in the forward line.
# - played mostly forward but also spent time in the midfield.

Score (goals only):
          Q1  Q2  Q3  Q4
Black    1    5    6     9
White   2    2    4     6

Goals:
Black - Stack 3, Baker 2, Soldo 2, Dusty, Kmac?
White - Castagna 2, Parker, Pickett, Broad, Cumberland?.

? - up the other end of the ground so I couldn't know for sure.

Bests:

Black - Dusty (he's baaaaack! or should that be he's quarterback*!  ;) ), Baker, Soldo, McIntosh, D.Rioli.
White - Bolton, Floss, Prestia, Castagna.

* I don't like using Americanisms in Aussie Rules but it's the only way I can explain a certain structure the Blacks used at times today. We're working on something forward of centre but it isn't perfected yet. Our forward entries when numbers are behind the ball still needs work. Not yet nailing our options as much as we will need to in the real stuff. It didn't help obviously that both Jack and Lynch were absent. Both sides didn't have two tall forward targets today. It was more 2017 forward lines if that makes sense. Across HB and midfield we are clearly trying to continually play on and move the ball quickly exploiting the stupid stand rule.

All up it was a good hit out for an early Feb scratch match. A bit sloppy to begin with (dropping simple overhead marks) but got better as they got into it.  Whites kicked the first two goals in the first quarter. Cleaner and more efficient to begin with. Blacks then started to get on top. Whites were still having enough F50 entries but the Black defence kept them goal-less compared to the Blacks who kicked 6 goals in a row (forward pressure was very good by Bakes). George kicked two goals just before 3/4 time to bring the margin back to two goals. Blacks then kicked the first two of the last so won comfortably.

ps. I didn't have him in the bests as he didn't dominate but Stack was dangerous. Worked between HB and the forward line catching whoever was on him running back to goal. Kicked a great set shot from a tight angle from a mark, one joe the goose from Baker and the 3rd was getting out the back and running 50m into an open goal.

Parker could have been in the bests for the whites as he got a fair bit of it across HF but he only kicked one goal when he could have had more. Some of the whites' forward play was odd at times. Either too unselfish or just dumb handballing to a teammate in no better position or worse when they could have taken the shot (hello Maurice!) 

That's what I can remember for now. Any questions just fire away?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4745 on: February 10, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »
Just got back from training. Nice day outside. I turned up just for the scratch match.

Absent/Didn't see: Riewoldt, RCD, Lynch.

Rehab: Lambert, Graham, Grimes, Clarke, Banks, Ralphsmith.

Worried about Kane. He's still moving gingerly. Doubtful he will play round 1 as it stands.

Grimes did some jogging. I'm guessing he'll be a week or two before he gets back to main training.

The others were doing 200m runs. They don't look too far away.

The main squad was split into black and white jumpers and had a 4-quarter scratch match of 13 min quarters.

Black Fwds:  Balta#, Baker#, Caddy#, Stack.
White Backs: Vlastuin, Short, Broad, Miller, Biggie.

Black mids: Dusty, Aarts, McIntosh, Sonsie, Soldo*, Cotch*, Edwards*, Dow (1st half)
White mids: Ross, Bolton, Martyn, Parker*, Pickett, Nank*, Dow (2nd half), Prestia (played first half).

Black backs: Tarrant, Gibcus, D.Rioli, Brown, Mansell.
White Fwds: Castagna, Cumberland, Ryan#, M.Rioli.

* - played mostly midfield but also spent time in the forward line.
# - played mostly forward but also spent time in the midfield.

Score (goals only):
          Q1  Q2  Q3  Q4
Black    1    5    6     9
White   2    2    4     6

Goals:
Black - Stack 3, Baker 2, Soldo 2, Dusty, Kmac?
White - Castagna 2, Parker, Pickett, Broad, Cumberland?.

? - up the other end of the ground so I couldn't know for sure.

Bests:

Black - Dusty (he's baaaaack! or should that be he's quarterback*!  ;) ), Baker, Soldo, McIntosh, D.Rioli.
White - Bolton, Floss, Prestia, Castagna.

* I don't like using Americanisms in Aussie Rules but it's the only way I can explain a certain structure the Blacks used at times today. We're working on something forward of centre but it isn't perfected yet. Our forward entries when numbers are behind the ball still needs work. Not yet nailing our options as much as we will need to in the real stuff. It didn't help obviously that both Jack and Lynch were absent. Both sides didn't have two tall forward targets today. It was more 2017 forward lines if that makes sense. Across HB and midfield we are clearly trying to continually play on and move the ball quickly exploiting the stupid stand rule.

All up it was a good hit out for an early Feb scratch match. A bit sloppy to begin with (dropping simple overhead marks) but got better as they got into it.  Whites kicked the first two goals in the first quarter. Cleaner and more efficient to begin with. Blacks then started to get on top. Whites were still having enough F50 entries but the Black defence kept them goal-less compared to the Blacks who kicked 6 goals in a row (forward pressure was very good by Bakes). George kicked two goals just before 3/4 time to bring the margin back to two goals. Blacks then kicked the first two of the last so won comfortably.

ps. I didn't have him in the bests as he didn't dominate but Stack was dangerous. Worked between HB and the forward line catching whoever was on him running back to goal. Kicked a great set shot from a tight angle from a mark, one joe the goose from Baker and the 3rd was getting out the back and running 50m into an open goal.

Parker could have been in the bests for the whites as he got a fair bit of it across HF but he only kicked one goal when he could have had more. Some of the whites' forward play was odd at times. Either too unselfish or just dumb handballing to a teammate in no better position or worse when they could have taken the shot (hello Maurice!) 

That's what I can remember for now. Any questions just fire away?

Great report mate how did we see our tall defenders go ?.Miller , Gibcus , Biggie. How was MRJ ?.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4746 on: February 10, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »
Great report mate how did we see our tall defenders go ?.Miller , Gibcus , Biggie. How was MRJ ?.
Miller seemed to take the Blacks' No.1 forward which was Balta primarily who was rotating with Soldo. Had a really good battle with Noah. Miller had the better in the aerial duels with his spoils. I don't remember Balta outmarking him close to goal (Noah was more effective up the ground or playing as a high forward). Soldo kicked two goals but only one from a mark/set shot (the other goal was at ground level which Miller couldn't do anything about).

ps. Now that you've reminded me Soldo at one stage tried to soccer volley the ball for a goal but it ended up OOTF  :laugh:.

Biggie: Because each team only had one KPF with both Jack and Lynch absent, Biggie was often on a midsized/smaller forward. So most of his battles were at ground level which is out of his comfort zone for someone who is normally a key back. I think he had Caddy most of the time IIRC. Caddy didn't kick a goal but he was solid in general play and more influential.

Gibcus swapped between Ryan and Cumberland. He had the better of Cumberland who made no impact and poor Samson was ordinary today against both Gibcus and Tarrant. As an aside Tarrant was mentoring Gibcus during the game.

MJR - linking up wise he worked hard and was solid but as a small forward ineffective. He had at least two chances where he could have gone for goal but for some odd reason handballed/passed it off to a no better option. I've mentioned before I've got a query on his kicking over distance. Maurice is going to need the VFL this year to work on his game.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4747 on: February 10, 2022, 07:09:49 PM »
Miller seemed to take the Blacks' No.1 forward which was Balta primarily who was rotating with Soldo. Had a really good battle with Noah. Miller had the better in the aerial duels with his spoils. I don't remember Balta outmarking him close to goal (Noah was more effective up the ground or playing as a high forward). Soldo kicked two goals but only one from a mark/set shot (the other goal was at ground level which Miller couldn't do anything about).

ps. Now that you've reminded me Soldo at one stage tried to soccer volley the ball for a goal but it ended up OOTF  :laugh:.

Biggie: Because each team only had one KPF with both Jack and Lynch absent, Biggie was often on a midsized/smaller forward. So most of his battles were at ground level which is out of his comfort zone for someone who is normally a key back. I think he had Caddy most of the time IIRC. Caddy didn't kick a goal but he was solid in general play and more influential.

Gibcus swapped between Ryan and Cumberland. He had the better of Cumberland who made no impact and poor Samson was ordinary today against both Gibcus and Tarrant. As an aside Tarrant was mentoring Gibcus during the game.

MJR - linking up wise he worked hard and was solid but as a small forward ineffective. He had at least two chances where he could have gone for goal but for some odd reason handballed/passed it off to a no better option. I've mentioned before I've got a query on his kicking over distance. Maurice is going to need the VFL this year to work on his game.

Thanks mate I got a feeling Miller will play regularly this year.Great leadership from Tarrant on Gibcus no better to learn from.We need MRJ or Clarke to step up this year.Hoping we fine tune our game plan and cut this unselfish stuff and go for goal when in position.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4748 on: February 11, 2022, 12:16:53 AM »
I'd love to see our mids start having a shot at goal when they run inside 50 instead of kicking to a contest, even a lead. Have the shot unless a teammate is on his own

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4749 on: February 11, 2022, 07:10:54 PM »
Some vision snippets from yesterday's scratch match:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZyqhIOApxz/?hl=en

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4750 on: February 14, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »
Some vision snippets from yesterday's scratch match:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZyqhIOApxz/?hl=en

I have said this a few times but looking at You Tube last night.  4 minute match sim highlights at Norf and Dees.  We get 39 secs of close up vision.
As far as pre -season engagement goes it's very ordinary.
By the way Jason Horne Francis looks very very good and CCJ looked to kick a few goals.  Wondering how are young guys are fairing? 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4751 on: February 14, 2022, 02:04:16 PM »
Back from training. Warm morning before the southerly breeze rolled in right at the end just before midday.

Pleasing to see Grimesy out of rehab and back in the main group. As was Judd Clarke. Riewoldt and RCD were back too after missing last Thursday.

In rehab were:
Lambert - I arrived around 11am and didn't see him do much. He went into the rooms.
Graham and Banks ran multiple 200ms along the outer boundary (said hi too  :thumbsup ).
Lynch - Did one drill from what I saw where he played close to goal but then moved to rehab to do 100m straight line running (not sprinting). So he shouldn't be too far away.
Dow - told he was in rehab but he was gone by the time I got there.

Not scratch match today. They did mostly drills revolved around intercepting and transitioning out of D50. Things such as switching across the backline to exit out of the fat side; kicks back into the corridor; etc ... One of Judd Clarke's kicks from inside D50 into the centre was sublime  :clapping. There was one forward intercept where Maurice Jnr picked off a pass and sprinted from 55 out towards goal. Credit to Miller who actually chased all the way and almost ran Maurice down. A slight jig by MRJ avoided the tackle and he kicked the goal.

Towards the end of training, Caddy, Cumberland, Maurice Jnr, Balta and Stack ran laps. Dusty joined them after a while. Caddy was a clearly out of in front for most of it. He's looking super fit. Maurice kept up third not far behind Cumberland so he's endurance has improve significantly since last year. No surprise Stack was last. He's good in the football drills but he's just not a long distance runner. Balta is the same to be fair.

Before going in, George and Bakes worked together on the set shot goal kicking from 40 out.

Positional groups today:

Backs: Vlastuin, Grimes, Tarrant, Short, D.Rioli, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Broad, Ralphsmith, Miller, Biggie.

Mids: Prestia, Dusty, Ross, Cotch, Edwards, Aarts, Soldo, Nank, RCD, Bolton, McIntosh, Martyn, Parker, Sonsie, Pickett.

Forwards: Baker, Riewoldt, Castagna, Balta, Caddy, Ryan, Cumberland, Clarke, Stack, M.Rioli.

Any questions just fire away?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 02:34:36 PM by mightytiges »

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4752 on: February 14, 2022, 04:32:59 PM »
Great report, how did Gibcus go?  How is he looking out there.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4753 on: February 14, 2022, 06:50:40 PM »
#DustinMartin & #NathanBroad

#tigers @Richmond_FC training Swinburne centre

https://twitter.com/WLudbey/status/1493046789066276866

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4754 on: February 14, 2022, 11:54:23 PM »
Back from training. Warm morning before the southerly breeze rolled in right at the end just before midday.

Pleasing to see Grimesy out of rehab and back in the main group. As was Judd Clarke. Riewoldt and RCD were back too after missing last Thursday.

In rehab were:
Lambert - I arrived around 11am and didn't see him do much. He went into the rooms.
Graham and Banks ran multiple 200ms along the outer boundary (said hi too  :thumbsup ).
Lynch - Did one drill from what I saw where he played close to goal but then moved to rehab to do 100m straight line running (not sprinting). So he shouldn't be too far away.
Dow - told he was in rehab but he was gone by the time I got there.

Not scratch match today. They did mostly drills revolved around intercepting and transitioning out of D50. Things such as switching across the backline to exit out of the fat side; kicks back into the corridor; etc ... One of Judd Clarke's kicks from inside D50 into the centre was sublime  :clapping. There was one forward intercept where Maurice Jnr picked off a pass and sprinted from 55 out towards goal. Credit to Miller who actually chased all the way and almost ran Maurice down. A slight jig by MRJ avoided the tackle and he kicked the goal.

Towards the end of training, Caddy, Cumberland, Maurice Jnr, Balta and Stack ran laps. Dusty joined them after a while. Caddy was a clearly out of in front for most of it. He's looking super fit. Maurice kept up third not far behind Cumberland so he's endurance has improve significantly since last year. No surprise Stack was last. He's good in the football drills but he's just not a long distance runner. Balta is the same to be fair.

Before going in, George and Bakes worked together on the set shot goal kicking from 40 out.

Positional groups today:

Backs: Vlastuin, Grimes, Tarrant, Short, D.Rioli, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Broad, Ralphsmith, Miller, Biggie.

Mids: Prestia, Dusty, Ross, Cotch, Edwards, Aarts, Soldo, Nank, RCD, Bolton, McIntosh, Martyn, Parker, Sonsie, Pickett.

Forwards: Baker, Riewoldt, Castagna, Balta, Caddy, Ryan, Cumberland, Clarke, Stack, M.Rioli.

Any questions just fire away?
Great reporting, these are very much appreciated. I know it's very early days as he's only just back from rehab group but how is Sonsie looking?

P.S it was mentioned today in the Captains presser that intra Club is this week. with Cats praccy match on sat next week i'd say it'll be friday at a guess