Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 420041 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2670 on: February 22, 2023, 10:34:37 AM »
Cornes is right for once.
My angle all off season has been to ask who is the better forward option, Cotchin or pure forwards Cumberland, Rioli, Clarke and mid/fwds Bolton, Martin and Taranto. Only a fool would say he is a better option than any of them. Another youngster we could get games into as a fwd is Sonsie as well.

If we play him fwd it means we dont play blokes like Cumberland and Rioli or even Clarke or Sonsie who is a very good and classy fwd. It would also limit our ability to play  Ben Miller or Balta  as a third tall. Yes i still believe we need to get games into someone in the third tall role in case we lose one of JR or TL.  A LITTLE BIT OF FUTURE PLANNING HERE. We cannot play em all in the fwd half.
Literally he would be taking games off very good kids  who are actually better fwd options. One or two or three would miss out.

Just manage him at age  33 from the bench. much like Geelong did with Selwood. Id hope they do similar with Dusty and Dion.

Creating new roles for aging favorites when we already have youngsters in them is detrimental to development.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2671 on: February 22, 2023, 06:53:41 PM »
Cotchin will be a mid who rests in the fwd line, what’s the big deal here?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2672 on: February 22, 2023, 09:25:56 PM »

Exactly

Jack Riewoldt has created a headline via a tongue in cheek comment and now the media are just getting mileage out of it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Does Cotch have anything to worry about from the MRO?
« Reply #2673 on: March 04, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »
The MRO may look at a brief wrestle between Trent Cotchin and James Harmes, with the former Richmond captain pinning the Dee on the deck by placing his forearm on his upper chest/neck.

Source: AFL website

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2674 on: March 04, 2023, 08:13:15 PM »

Exactly

Jack Riewoldt has created a headline via a tongue in cheek comment and now the media are just getting mileage out of it

Starting to think we were wrong on this.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2675 on: March 04, 2023, 08:24:55 PM »
His no forward fullstop and under no circumstances he should take Cumberland place either in the guts off the bench, or nothing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 03:02:52 AM by georgies31 »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Does Cotch have anything to worry about from the MRO?
« Reply #2676 on: March 04, 2023, 08:59:54 PM »
The MRO may look at a brief wrestle between Trent Cotchin and James Harmes, with the former Richmond captain pinning the Dee on the deck by placing his forearm on his upper chest/neck.

Reckon he will cop a fine

But he really needs to get this out of his game. He seems to get sucked in very easily these days
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 09:18:04 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2677 on: March 04, 2023, 11:13:21 PM »

Reck9n he will cop a fine

But he really needs to get this out of his game. He seems to get sacked in very easily these days

Agreed and Harmes is a serial pest so he should know it's coming.

I think that frustration you see late in a career is when a bloke is due to retire tbh.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2678 on: March 05, 2023, 03:39:32 AM »
Love Cotchin but he has gone 1 year too many IMO

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2679 on: March 05, 2023, 08:55:00 AM »
Just a practice match , to try new things out. He might be better suited as a rotating mid imo because he is not a natural forward opportunist  and lacks the lighting burst  speed that is needed for tackling pressure as a smaller but will be needed to in a long season to give others a chip out as he been as exception inside mid

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2680 on: March 05, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2681 on: March 05, 2023, 07:22:57 PM »
Free kick is enough fmd.

Cue all the haters, wah Cotchin is a grub remember when he KOd Shiel a quarter before he felt off?

Eye roll

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2682 on: March 05, 2023, 11:25:37 PM »
Cotch the fwd equalles Chump.
What the hell are we doing taking games away from young players to allow a mid in this case to play.
You know what lets just totally forget about getting games into kids after all we got Hopper and Taranto.
Getting Taranto and Hopper can be good thing for us but only if we play kids around them.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2683 on: March 06, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »
Cotch the fwd equalles Chump.
What the hell are we doing taking games away from young players to allow a mid in this case to play.
You know what lets just totally forget about getting games into kids after all we got Hopper and Taranto.
Getting Taranto and Hopper can be good thing for us but only if we play kids around them.

13 games to 300 games. And that will be it for him

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2684 on: March 06, 2023, 12:32:50 PM »
Cotchin is a great defensive midfielder but no longer has the endurance to play out a full game (or season) at the same intensity. I'm hoping that the time he has spent forward over the preseason is in preparation for the possible additional time he will spend there as part of the rotating midfield. I would imagine his split would be 40/40/20 (Forward/Mid/Bench). Cotch has struggled up forward in the past so perhaps educating him and teaching him better forward craft is the preseason goal.

If his split is more weighted toward the forward line at the expense of a player such as Cumberland, I think that is a mistake. Resting midfielders will never give you the same output as a forward because...well...they're resting! They don't have the natural forward capability but more importantly, the remaining energy to provide the pressure and offensive targets we need in the F50, after already blowing themselves up playing in the midfield.

I feel we can afford to have perhaps one resting midfielder and a ruck but if you have close to half the forward line 'resting', we will struggle to score and lock the ball in.

So, with that in mind, I have a forward line of :

MRJ  Jack  Cumberland
Bolton*  Lynch  Dusty#

* Bolton rotates (60/40) with Taranto
# Dusty rotates (70/30) with Cotchin

The most important part of the rotations would be to ensure only ONE of the midfielder (Taranto, Cotchin etc) are resting in the forward line at any one time. Miller/Nank may float in and out of the forward/backline depending on need.