Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 418449 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2685 on: March 06, 2023, 12:46:31 PM »
Agree with most of that Stripes but I think Cotchin probably gets more bench time IMO and goes harder in the midfield when he's on.

One thing for sure is that we simply cannot have both Dusty and Cotchin in the forward line at the same time. They don't have the defensive game or tank so that would be a big liability both being F50.

Taranto I think should be resting forward rather than bench a lot. Bolton and Dusty too. Cotchin I would be thinking more mid then bench and occasionally forward but preferably not much.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2686 on: March 06, 2023, 02:52:36 PM »
The trouble with rotating cotch forward is that he is a passenger. IMO

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2687 on: March 06, 2023, 04:50:05 PM »
The trouble with rotating cotch forward is that he is a passenger. IMO
Sounds like Cotch would make a great sub then, gets his 13 games no problem, doesn't clog up the list or stink up the forward line.

I'll give any triple premiership winning captain a really good go at a deserving farewell ...     :bow
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotch fined by MRO (RFC)
« Reply #2688 on: March 06, 2023, 05:34:57 PM »
Cotch fined $1000.

Charge laid:

Trent Cotchin, Richmond, has been charged with Misconduct against Melbourne's James Harmes during the third quarter of the practice match between Richmond and Melbourne played at Casey Fields on Saturday March 4, 2023.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1279183/cotchin-fined-by-mro

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2689 on: March 06, 2023, 06:16:02 PM »
Enter salty opposition fans  :lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2690 on: March 06, 2023, 08:08:16 PM »
As expected he's copped a fine

I know the media and salty fans want him hung but seriously he copped what it deserved

But he really needs to stop getting sucked into this sort of crap
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2691 on: March 07, 2023, 03:35:25 AM »
Misconduct fine for Trent Cotchin.... He is footy's luckiest player at the tribunal. Now has $11,900 in fines but only one suspension across his career.

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1632627404756914179

-------------------------------------------

'The older you get the angrier you get' - Robbo

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1632664214312738816

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2692 on: March 07, 2023, 03:35:56 AM »
Trent Cotchin isn’t in Richmond’s best 22

“Firstly, how does he fit into the midfield? If I’m talking about the best 22, he’s not in it. Of course, he’s going to play on, he’s 13 games from 300 and he deserves every bit to get to 300 games, but from what we saw over the weekend… I said the forward line experiment wouldn’t last two weeks, (now) I’m not sure it will last half a week.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/06/kane-cornes-10-observations-from-the-official-afl-pre-season-games/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2693 on: March 07, 2023, 07:36:42 AM »
Wasn’t he is our highest possession/contested possession last year?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2694 on: March 07, 2023, 11:04:51 AM »
Misconduct fine for Trent Cotchin.... He is footy's luckiest player at the tribunal. Now has $11,900 in fines but only one suspension across his career.

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1632627404756914179

-------------------------------------------

'The older you get the angrier you get' - Robbo

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1632664214312738816

Or he's toed the line well....

Trent Cotchin isn’t in Richmond’s best 22

“Firstly, how does he fit into the midfield? If I’m talking about the best 22, he’s not in it. Of course, he’s going to play on, he’s 13 games from 300 and he deserves every bit to get to 300 games, but from what we saw over the weekend… I said the forward line experiment wouldn’t last two weeks, (now) I’m not sure it will last half a week.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/06/kane-cornes-10-observations-from-the-official-afl-pre-season-games/

With Prestia and Graham under injury clouds I would say his spot is guaranteed.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2695 on: March 07, 2023, 03:50:10 PM »
Your mids and probably your running h/b are the ones your looking to rotate and rest the most.

Last year we used in most games at least or to put it a better way went into most games with 9 mids 10 if you include big Toby who also needs to be rotated a lot.

In what world is Cotchin not one of our best 9 mids? .I really dont think that is debateable. What needs to be sorted is how we use cotchin as a  mid and how much game time he is given.

Last years prime list of mids with the games they played

Prestia 19, Nankervis 23, Baker 23, Short 23, Graham 20, Bolton 23, Ross 15 and of course Cotchin 19.
Then we had for limited games Martin 9 and Sonsie 7 the latter should have played a heap more imo.

Of this group Cotchin continues to be a better mid than Graham, Ross, Short, Baker, and imo Martin given his last couple of seasons and young Sonsie but that can change quickly with this kid.

Then we had wingers Pickett 19, McIntosh 21 and Ralphsmith 13.

Positional players out side of mids.
Backs
Vlastuin  Broad, Grimes, Balta, D Rioli, Tarrant. They are getting picked no matter what. Atm it seems Baker is the outlet or 7th defender.

Forwards
Riewoldt, Lynch, Two of Cumberland, M Rioli, Clarke, one of Miller or Ryan.
That leaves 11 spots for potentially all mids including wings and ruck.
Mids in order.
Wings -  McIntosh, Pickett. Atm they are probably locks Ralphsmith is a possibility.
Ruck - Nankervis. Only question is who will partner him hopefully one of Miller or Ryan as fwd/rucks..

Mids - Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Bolton, Cotchin, Martin, Sonsie, Sub Graham. Ross, Short last two as emergency.

When there is a better mid option than Cotchin then maybe we can talk about him not being best 23.Until then we can talk about his game time and what roles he should or should not be doing outside of his mid role.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2696 on: March 08, 2023, 02:25:11 AM »
When Toby met Trent: New Giants captain seeks champion Tiger’s advice

Marc McGowan
The Age
March 8, 2023

New Giants standalone captain Toby Greene’s wish to become the best leader he can be saw him turn to Richmond’s triple premiership ex-captain Trent Cotchin for advice this week.

Cotchin is someone Greene has admired mostly from afar but the Greater Western Sydney star contacted the veteran Tiger in recent weeks about catching up – and they met for lunch in Melbourne on Monday.

The specifics of the chat are likely to remain a secret, but Greene was keen to pick Cotchin’s brain on being a standalone AFL captain and the challenges involved, including juggling extra responsibilities while still maximising himself as a footballer.

Cotchin’s peers voted him the AFL’s best captain in 2018, and he resigned from the role at the end of the 2021 season after nine years and 188 games in charge.

One of the most famous memories associated with Cotchin’s leadership, aside from his significant on-field exploits, was him being the last player to leave the MCG after the 2017 grand final because he stayed back to clean up rubbish left in the Richmond change rooms.

It was those types of actions, plus his Brownlow Medal-winning output, empathy, selflessness and ruthlessness that made him one of the best captains of his generation.

Greene has courted far more controversy on and off the field throughout his career than Cotchin, whose clean-cut, family image contrasts somewhat with the more rough-and-ready but popular and hugely respected Giant. They have also enjoyed wildly different fates with the match review officer and at the tribunal.

He previously struggled at times to maintain eye contact in media appearances but now speaks with more confidence and comfort in those situations, even if he will never be as polished as a Cotchin-type.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/when-toby-met-trent-new-giants-captain-seeks-champion-tiger-s-advice-20230307-p5cpz7.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2697 on: March 10, 2023, 11:58:52 AM »

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2698 on: March 10, 2023, 02:21:11 PM »
On ya mate.

F the haters.

Cover yourself in glory, we love it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2699 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:56 PM »
Tigers coach dismisses Trent Cotchin forward queries

Shayne Hope
AAP
March 13, 2023 9:22PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has leapt to Trent Cotchin's defence amid queries over the veteran midfielder's ability to contribute in a new role this season.

The addition of inside midfielders Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper means Cotchin will not feature as often in the Tigers' engine room in 2023.

The 32-year-old triple-premiership star will spend more time across half-forward than he has done for the majority of his decorated 287-game career.

Harsh critics have already branded Cotchin too slow and questioned whether he will kick enough goals to justify his position.

But Hardwick, who believes outsiders are too quick to write off champion players because "it's an easy story to write", is having none of it.

"He's a great contested-ball player but he's got incredible craft up forward, funnily enough," Hardwick told Fox Footy.

"He played this role for about the last six or seven weeks last year and he did that very well if you go back and have a look at the tape.

"He set up a lot of goals, he kicked a couple of goals as well, so we're really confident in what he can do.

"We also know that when push comes to shove we're going to need him at the coalface.

"He's a quality player and people always quickly jump on the champs."

Carlton coach Michael Voss, whose team takes on Richmond at the MCG on Thursday night, is wary of Cotchin's potential impact in the season opener.

"He might be a slightly different version (of himself) but he'll still be a pretty good version," Voss told Fox Footy.

"He'll still keep us well and truly aware about where is on the field at any one point."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-coach-dismisses-trent-cotchin-forward-queries-c-10029221