Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 148844 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #855 on: June 28, 2023, 09:03:20 PM »
Criticising his performance when he had bad games is one thing... Relentlessly ripping into him on social media so that his mental health is destroyed is another....

👆 this

And

He copped it and lot and it got to him. That I know first hand, no whispers. He's a really nice bloke and I have no reason to doubt Dimma's take on it

👆 this
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #856 on: June 28, 2023, 10:44:32 PM »
His best asset was his marking. Exceptional mark for his size. He had decent work rate in our premiership years too. Unfortunately was terrible by hand and foot but despite his deficiencies was able to cement his role and play in three premierships.  :clapping

It’s a cruel game for some of vfl/afl greats that weren’t able to even get one.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #857 on: June 29, 2023, 06:08:24 AM »
George didn't retire because of criticism and online abuse which I don't condone .He retired because he seen the writing on the wall and wasn't best 22 and wasn’t going to get a game.His maniac pressure and speed we're gone nothing like the flag years.He didn't perform in the afl or vfl . Let's cut the bs and crap stop making excuses for the bloke plenty of players go through what he experienced.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #858 on: June 29, 2023, 02:43:47 PM »
Not sure Jason has ever blamed "bullies online" for his retirement

Don't think he ever mentioned it

But whatever
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #859 on: June 29, 2023, 02:56:29 PM »
I was a fan of what George bought to our club , many times you’d see him in the back pocket mopping up, or rampaging up and down the ground ,however after the Gold Coast game last year I lost faith in him and became very critical of him . All those years of enjoying him play were washed away , rather than put those bad performances in perspective over his whole career.He will always be a triple premiership player and for that he can hold his head high

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #860 on: June 29, 2023, 03:43:02 PM »

But whatever
He never did, iirc Dimma mentioned it.
But hey whatever.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #861 on: June 29, 2023, 03:43:26 PM »
Snip!

Leave politics and the other crap off the football forum!  :banghead

Back to the topic!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #862 on: June 29, 2023, 04:43:28 PM »

But whatever
He never did, iirc Dimma mentioned it.
But hey whatever.

Exactly the way Dimma put it seemed like it.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #863 on: June 29, 2023, 04:47:39 PM »

But whatever

The way Dimma talked about it he made it sound like it , but hey it's not the narrative to suit everyone.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #864 on: August 16, 2023, 03:24:50 PM »
11. Jason Castagna

Unfashionable, unreliable by foot and no one’s notion of talented, “George” Castagna was often the subject of Richmond fans’ ire. But as Joni Mitchell said, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone. Castagna’s pressure, speed and sacrifice made him an important figure in Damien Hardwick’s premierships. He played only 134 games, but made all three flags for good reason.

Castagna’s career, while less discussed or heralded, warranted ranking ahead of others who’ve left the game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/buddy-riewoldt-top-the-class-ranking-the-afl-s-retirees-20230816-p5dwwv.html

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #865 on: August 16, 2023, 07:35:26 PM »
Like all our small forwards , played a thankless ,career killing role, with constant negative criticism, not one of our small forwards has been able to make it their own spot for years
In saying George had average skill, but tried his best and in the end just lost all confidence and gave it away.
Probably need to do something different if we one of them to thrive

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #866 on: August 16, 2023, 10:30:14 PM »
Just not buying into this garbage. Bottom line he was terribly skilled and a very average player. Sad that allowed honesty to get to him.

If it was such a career destroying role then maybe the coaches and club need to put their hand up.

Bottom line is somhow George managed o hang around and play in three flags when in any other team system at the time he would have struggled to last a2 seasons.
George is an example of what we have got wrong in our successful period and too many supporters are oblivious to it. He was always just a role player of very limited ability and he really should have been UPGRADED  early on but success does strange things to EVERYONE'S thinking.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #867 on: August 16, 2023, 10:48:06 PM »
Just not buying into this garbage. Bottom line he was terribly skilled and a very average player. Sad that allowed honesty to get to him.

If it was such a career destroying role then maybe the coaches and club need to put their hand up.

Bottom line is somhow George managed o hang around and play in three flags when in any other team system at the time he would have struggled to last a2 seasons.
George is an example of what we have got wrong in our successful period and too many supporters are oblivious to it. He was always just a role player of very limited ability and he really should have been UPGRADED  early on but success does strange things to EVERYONE'S thinking.
Think it was 2019, George kicked 5 behinds, if the were goal May have won BOG, he was pretty good that day

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2023, 10:55:18 PM »
Lol missed the point, George was an average role player, but I bet you can’t  name a player who has played the position  better than George.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2023, 11:10:31 PM »
Lol missed the point, George was an average role player, but I bet you can’t  name a player who has played the position  better than George.

Lol he is at the bottom of the list when it come to position. His role within that position was one dimensional and very limited.
If he had not managed to play in those flags he would indeed go down as one of the worst players to ever play the game when it comes to most areas of the game..Im not taking a shot at George im just being honest.

Surely all limited players should be expecting to be upgraded on if they are honest with themselves.And surely supporters can get over themselves and accept that they were indeed very ordinary limited players who were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and saw success.

I actually thank George deep down he knew what he was and he retired because our club has been drinking its own  bath water and would not have delisted him.