Author Topic: Richmond's VFL alignment with Coburg at breaking point (Age)  (Read 7462 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' tents stand-off
Caroline Wilson
The Age
June 21, 2012

RICHMOND'S uneasy relationship with its VFL partner Coburg is at breaking point with the Tigers becoming increasingly alarmed at the flow-on effect of the aligned club's perilous financial position.

Determined to establish its own VFL team, which could play regular home games at Punt Road from the start of 2014, Richmond could bring forward a stand-alone seconds side with Coburg struggling to meet the conditions of its licence agreement.

The Age believes Coburg's financial state has become a week-to-week proposition being closely monitored by the Tigers.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has made no secret of his firm belief that a portion of the football money raised by the Fighting Tiger Fund should be directed towards the establishment of a Richmond VFL team in a bid to improve the development of young players and rehabilitation of injured and struggling-for-form senior footballers.

With Richmond pushing to play finals, continuing to eradicate its debt and facing a decent profit for 2012, Hardwick wants that stand-alone team next year.

The latest eyebrow-raiser where Coburg was concerned was when Richmond learnt that the VFL Tigers - potentially including Tyrone Vickery or Brad Miller, along with recovering players such as David Astbury and Kelvin Moore - had been booked to stay in a local caravan park for Coburg's relocated round-14 home game in Warrnambool early next month. The players have already had to endure a long bus journey when, early this month, the Coburg home game against Bendigo was relocated to Shepparton.

Richmond was forced to inject $40,000 to prop up Coburg's finances again last year on top of its annual six-figure alignment budget, which this season will be $270,000 including $200,000 in cash desperately needed by the VFL club. AFL Victoria and Richmond have told Coburg there will be no more funds.

AFL Victoria chairman Peter Jackson told The Age yesterday that his body had made it clear it would no longer step in to prop up clubs that were not financially viable. He said any licence agreement between an AFL and VFL-aligned club could be broken if the terms of the licence were not met.

''The issue with Richmond and Coburg rests with the licence agreement of Coburg and the ability of the two clubs to operate under the terms of that licence,'' Jackson said.

Coburg president Bill Balakis, whose network has provided the bulk of the club's sponsorship support, had to be persuaded to stay on at the start of this season after telling the Tigers he would be resigning from the position.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale has installed his football lieutenant, Craig Cameron, on the Coburg board in a bid to keep a close eye on the football relationship between the two clubs.

While Richmond has no issue with Coburg's football staff - led by part-time coach Adam Potter, who is a school teacher, the financial state of the club and the subsequent inadequate back-up has become increasingly unacceptable for the up-and-coming AFL Tigers.

Cameron, along with Essendon's general manager of football, Paul Hamilton, and VFL club CEOs Brendan Curry (Williamstown) and Mark Patterson (North Ballarat) have also met for the first time as part of a new working party established by AFL Victoria chief Grant Williams to put in place a plan for the future, which will see more clubs push to join Collingwood, Geelong and - from 2013 - Essendon to establish their own second-tier sides.

The Victorian AFL clubs with VFL alignments signed at the end of last season to a three-year moratorium to retain stability while an improved model was devised. All those three-year licence agreements can be broken if the terms of an agreement - which demands financial viability - is broken. An aligned licence costs $55,000 annually, with the clubs fielding their own teams, such as Collingwood, having to pay $190,000 as well as the additional costs of running a stand-alone side.

Formed in 1891, Coburg became aligned with Richmond in 2001 after a VFA/VFL first division history of six premierships along with two second-division VFA flags.

Coburg has a negligible membership and, having ceased to become an attractive breeding ground for elite young players, could cease to exist as a VFL side as early as next year.

AFL Victoria also has fears for the future of Bendigo once Essendon fields its own stand-alone team from next season.

''The second tier is crucial for player pathways, talent development, retaining our network of facilities and volunteers and sponsors and community engagement in Melbourne's growth areas,'' Jackson said. ''We've got to find a model that suits everyone's needs.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-tents-standoff-20120620-20oju.html#ixzz1yMLhY8ll

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond's VFL alignment with Coburg at breaking point (Age)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »
There is only one person working in the office at Coburg these days, i think you will find thats where the problem is.

The is being run into the ground off-field. Lack of sponsership etc generated from the Management leads to a lack of money to attract players other than the RFC listed players.

Its a sad state for a Club that was pretty well run a few years ago.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:28:19 AM »
I think Hardwick is totally correct in asking for a stand alone side but in saying that I hope Coburg survive.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:06:07 AM »

AFL has been very clever in all of this.

I wonder what their ultimate aim is/was?

Destroy the old VFA teams and revert to a Reserves comp?

:banghead

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
Glad to see Caro has put up the numbers regarding the difference in the cost of licenses for aligned teams -v- stand alone AFL teams (eg the Geelongs, C'woods) remembering that is the license component only. The extra costs on top of that are incredibly high.

An interesting article I must say

There is only one person working in the office at Coburg these days, i think you will find thats where the problem is.

The is being run into the ground off-field. Lack of sponsership etc generated from the Management leads to a lack of money to attract players other than the RFC listed players.

True but going by its financials (annual report) over the last couple of years it suggest/shows the club was living beyonds it's means which will eventually bite you 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »
If there was a problem with coburg then why sign another 3 year agreement with them?

Stupid.  :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
If there was a problem with coburg then why sign another 3 year agreement with them?

Maybe because the 3 year agreement can be broken  :whistle

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »
rumours around that a former football dept employee had his fingers in the till

was dismissed earlier this year

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

perhaps because we had no ground to play on and no funds at the time to put towards the substantial costs involved.

trying to go alone under these circumstances would be stupid.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
Glad to see Caro has put up the numbers regarding the difference in the cost of licenses for aligned teams -v- stand alone AFL teams (eg the Geelongs, C'woods) remembering that is the license component only. The extra costs on top of that are incredibly high.

An interesting article I must say

True but going by its financials (annual report) over the last couple of years it suggest/shows the club was living beyonds it's means which will eventually bite you

Yep, when you see the difference in licence costs not to mention the everyday costs associated , you can understand why they wanted to wait an extra 3 years.

Does anybody know what the annual costs would be to run a standalone VFL side? Currently we spend $270k with coburg + $50k license fee. With a standalone it would be $190k license fee + ? costs..

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
I believe the total cost was around $550k - $600k ?? For some reason I have that figure in my head, which covers licensing.

Offline tigers_of_old_1980

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
The sooner we get our own stand-alone reserves team up and going the better. The flow on benefits will filter through to the top - just look at Colligwoods depth! The ability to practice your own game plan and development of players will inch us closer to number 11.

Go Tigers!!
10 PREMIERSHIPS

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
It has to be done.

Who cares about Coburg? It's all about our club, the Richmond Football Club.

hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »
Does anybody know, what the annual costs would be to run a standalone VFL side? Currently we spend $270k with coburg + $50,k license fee. With a standalone it would be $190k license fee + ? costs..

I think the $270k was including the licence fee

Last year paid around that plus an additional $40k, so prob around $300k last year to be aligned with Coburg

$190k for a standalone licence + costs doesn't look so bad stacked against that

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »
The reserves competition should never have been disbanded in the first place!!!