Author Topic: Richmond's VFL alignment with Coburg at breaking point (Age)  (Read 7463 times)

tony_montana

Re: Richmond's VFL alignment with Coburg at breaking point (Age)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
cheers lads,

and when you take into account that we should get a decent turnout at Punt road before the mcg games, some of that revenue generated would offset the extra costs you would think.

gerkin greg

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 10:08:34 AM »
 :cheers

up there for thinking

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
Will some games also be played at the G as curtain raisers like back in the day?

Anyone know when the last Richmond reserves games at Punt Road took place?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
The sooner we get our own stand-alone reserves team up and going the better. The flow on benefits will filter through to the top - just look at Colligwoods depth! The ability to practice your own game plan and development of players will inch us closer to number 11.

Go Tigers!!
well said.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
Would a Richmond Football Club seconds team be able to use different jumper sponsors to the senior team?

Attract a few more minor sponsors for the reserves jumper to help cover costs maybe?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
Would a Richmond Football Club seconds team be able to use different jumper sponsors to the senior team?

Attract a few more minor sponsors for the reserves jumper to help cover costs maybe?
Pretty sure Collingwood's VFL jumper has some of their lesser sponsors (Crazy Johns) on it, but can't see why you couldn't attract more. If we were playing games down at Punt Rd, I think there would be a few keen parties to get onto the jumper.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »

I would imagine the demand for a Richmond jumper with the VFL logo on it would bring some nice merch dollars into the club  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
Feck them off

the claw

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
not having a go at going alone. just asking how would having our own reserves team alleviate some of the current on field problems we have now.

ie the tall situation. believe it or not 16 talls plus is about the average number of talls on clubs lists.you need this number to properly cater to injury depth and development.
when building more than 16 is the norm.  we have three ruckmen derickx, graham and browne all playing in the one team derickx has been played everywhere but in the ruck to try to alleviate the problem. hes struggling to make matters worse we currently rotate talls back to the thirds to ensure they get a game every week and coburg is not more top heavy than it is.
you have mcguane, moore, darrou, wright and astbury all talls down back and possibly post
then you have miller post elton ohanlon and one of the ruckmen playing forward. where do you fit the mids and flankers  in. in a stand alone team you still only have 22 positions to fill.you still have this problem.

in wa the dockers and eagles are looking to have stand alone teams  but they ignore one big benefit. their players are all tied to wafl clubs  and when they play seconds they at least play in position in teams that have good balance and structure.
not sure how collingwood and geelong get around this problem any one know?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »
Will some games also be played at the G as curtain raisers like back in the day?

Anyone know when the last Richmond reserves games at Punt Road took place?

I remember watching Coburg Vs Bullants in 2005 at Punt Road before we smashed the Blues at the G by 80 points. It was the day Lids, Tambling, Meyer, Polo & Pattison played together for the first time in the one side
One N Foley collected 44 possessions for Coburg.
Had a brilliant day.
Bring it back.....

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »
not having a go at going alone. just asking how would having our own reserves team alleviate some of the current on field problems we have now.

ie the tall situation. believe it or not 16 talls plus is about the average number of talls on clubs lists.you need this number to properly cater to injury depth and development.
when building more than 16 is the norm.  we have three ruckmen derickx, graham and browne all playing in the one team derickx has been played everywhere but in the ruck to try to alleviate the problem. hes struggling to make matters worse we currently rotate talls back to the thirds to ensure they get a game every week and coburg is not more top heavy than it is.
you have mcguane, moore, darrou, wright and astbury all talls down back and possibly post
then you have miller post elton ohanlon and one of the ruckmen playing forward. where do you fit the mids and flankers  in. in a stand alone team you still only have 22 positions to fill.you still have this problem.

in wa the dockers and eagles are looking to have stand alone teams  but they ignore one big benefit. their players are all tied to wafl clubs  and when they play seconds they at least play in position in teams that have good balance and structure.
not sure how collingwood and geelong get around this problem any one know?

::)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
The reserves competition should never have been disbanded in the first place!!!

The VFL was the big loser. Was a fantastic competition that has seen historic clubs lose their identities.

My father was president of Williamstown. I grew up with a crazy passion for the willy footy club. They lost me when they changed the theme song to the Collingwood song during that alignment.

Sadly it will never be the same as it was.

Shattered.

Old VFA/VFL clubs like Coburg are being spat out and it's a stuffing disgrace.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:09:57 PM »
Does anybody know, what the annual costs would be to run a standalone VFL side? Currently we spend $270k with coburg + $50,k license fee. With a standalone it would be $190k license fee + ? costs..

I think the $270k was including the licence fee

Last year paid around that plus an additional $40k, so prob around $300k last year to be aligned with Coburg

$190k for a standalone licence + costs doesn't look so bad stacked against that

Article says the $270k is made up of only $200k cash so that implies the other $70k is in the form of "contra" which makes sense

Just on the costs for running a stand alone VFL side a few years back Geelong said it was costing it around $500-$600k a year to run its VFL side and that was when the license fee was around $80 to $100k a season not the $190k it costs now.

Would think you need to budget $500k a year to do it.

Reckon it is just. A case of when now not if
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Will some games also be played at the G as curtain raisers

Highly doubtful up to the MCG and can't see them allowing it. Might get one a season but that's all

Pretty sure Collingwood's VFL jumper has some of their lesser sponsors (Crazy Johns) on it, but can't see why you couldn't attract more. If we were playing games down at Punt Rd, I think there would be a few keen parties to get onto the jumper.

Spot on JVT, which = great idea wayne   ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:35 PM »
If there was a problem with coburg then why sign another 3 year agreement with them?

Stupid.  :banghead

There is a get out clause, something like being finacially viable rather than stuffed :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled