Author Topic: Team round 1 2016  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Team round 1 2016
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »
I agree, not a huge fan of Astbury either but I have more confidence in him in a one on one contest or any contest than Chaplin ...he's not as "attacking" (term used very loosely) as Chaplin but we'll have Yarran down there to more than balance that out, while his extra pace should more than balance out Astbury's lack thereof (and it's not like Chaplin is quick) ...and as I said, Astbury is a better actual defender, which we'll need because Yarran doesnt really defend - can we really afford to have Yarran, Houli & Chaplin down there all playing loose and being unaccountable ?....and who else are you going to stick there? Two Game Todd? Even if we grabbed, say, Glass-McCasker tomorrow - you going to upgrade him and throw him in straight away?  It just underlines the paucity of depth in our KPD's and shows how delusional it is to think we have that area of the ground covered....

...and wouldn't the fact that Astbury's purple patch came in the absence of our best defender and when he had extra responsibilty actually be a big tick in his favour?

Fair call but at this stage I think Chaplin's pretty much set for round 1. Don't think even a poor pre season will change that. On form I think Chaplin gets a gig until someone pushes him out. I would like to see Broad come in and Batch out though which might move things around slightly.
Maybe, but what I meant was I don't think his purple patch was actually as good as others thought but it just looked better since Rance was out. I'd like to think Todd gets a few games this year. Not because I think he'll make it as a defender but surely there has to be a reason we've kept him so long.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »
Oh Chaplin will play round one, there's little doubt about that -  was picking a side I'd like to see, not the one that actually will take the field....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
Is that Dusty at CHF while Jack is in the centre for the opening bounce?   
Yeah placed them that way as Dusty is a hard match up for opposition coachs when in the forward line so should exploit it and as for Jack, well my opinion is he's just too valuable a player to leave in the forward line.He creates opportunities like no other on our list so in between the arcs would also be a very hard match up aswell.

...dunno;  Hampspud to me looks the glaring weakness from the #RaoulDuke about side.
He's in the side purely to manage Maric through the year.I also believe his ability to get the tap out against most rucks is better than Maric anyhow.
Have Maric fresh at the END of the year should be the thinking but dimsim will wear this bloke out by the half way mark as per usual.

LOL at effing Astbury. Done nothing except for a purple patch which just happened to coincide with Rance's injury
Not even going to go into Jack playing in the midfield
Done nothing except for a purple patch,bit of a contradiction is all I'll say there.

Jack playing between the arcs actually works well, but hey you probably thought the big Cho couldn't play between the arcs either.
F Dan Butler, Jack Riewoldt, Liam McBean
Would also have liked to have seen Butler in that position lined up with a McBean deep in the forward line.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
It's simply unrealistic

18 year old kid who's proven nothing other than he has a famous last name

Rioli starting in round one. Lol

Ellis will continue to be the weak link

...dunno;  Hampspud to me looks the glaring weakness from the #RaoulDuke about side. B Ellis got the ball 600 times last season. You can have one squib.

whats wrong with rioli round 1? grigg r1 = lol
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
It's simply unrealistic

18 year old kid who's proven nothing other than he has a famous last name

Rioli starting in round one. Lol

Ellis will continue to be the weak link

...dunno;  Hampspud to me looks the glaring weakness from the #RaoulDuke about side. B Ellis got the ball 600 times last season. You can have one squib.

whats wrong with rioli round 1? grigg r1 = lol

selecting rioli over grigg is not in the least unrealistic

More so when considering Rioli in theory Sposed to be te 12th best kid or there bouts, in the la

It not unusual for high picks to be ready earl

More so forward. Pocket types alla betts
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
Why would Rioli come in for Grigg? Wouldn't C.Ellis or Townsend replace him?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Oh Chaplin will play round one, there's little doubt about that -  was picking a side I'd like to see, not the one that actually will take the field....

Yeah deserves it over Astbury too

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Why would Rioli come in for Grigg?

it would allow rioli to go forward...edwards or deledio to play wing... or cotchin or martin to play onball more

the options are limitless   come on dioc.  :whistle

Wouldn't C.Ellis or Townsend replace him?

if i were in charge id find a spot for c ellis cause he looks smooth

and have townsend around the mark - certainly in front of grigg

im flabbergasted to think grigg was the hardwick tagging option even today  :huh

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 05:56:27 PM »

Yeah deserves it over Astbury too

astbury was flying before he got attacked by the sea creator

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
With a fully fit squad  I'd place them a bit differently to what the Dimsim would serve up.

B
David Astbury, Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes
HB
Bachar Houli  Nick Vlastuin  Brandon Ellis
C
Chris Yarran, Jack Riewoldt, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF
Brett Deledio, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards
F
Daniel Rioli, Ty Vickery, Sam Lloyd
FOL
Shaun Hampson, Anthony Miles,Trent Cotchin
I/C
Ivan Maric, Kane Lambert, Corey Ellis, Reece Conca

Basically lined them up for:

stopping power across  the back line.

quick transition football between the arcs.

accuracy in front of goals.
"Stopping power across the back line"
Houli and Ellis are by far our worst defenders. Both can get the footy no doubt but as defenders they are putrid.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
hence u needs more deledios and corey elliss there

lids
vlastuin
c ellis
broad / moore / astbury
rance
grimes
yarren

:shh
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:27:34 PM by Stalin »

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 10:00:47 PM »
Houli and Ellis are by far our worst defenders. Both can get the footy no doubt but as defenders they are putrid.
Was referring to this as the back line:

B

I had Houli & Ellis either side of Vlastuin on the HB line for the very reasons you mentioned above.

But as others have shown there are more alternate ideas which are IMO all better than what dimsim puts together.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
Was referring to this as the back line:

B

I had Houli & Ellis either side of Vlastuin on the HB line for the very reasons you mentioned above.

But as others have shown there are more alternate ideas which are IMO all better than what dimsim puts together.
Rance, Grimes and Vlastuin and first class defenders IMO. All of them defend first but are good enough to get the footy after that.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't  play Houli or Ellis in the backline and I don't rate Astbury at all.
I don't even think Batchelor is good enough to be part of a top 4/premiership side, and that is what we need to aim for.
We need to reinvent our backline IMO. As good as the stats say we were there this year, we need to get better.
Chaplin should be replaced when someone is ready but I do think his leadership is a massive bonus down there. But as I said I think he needs replacing for us to take the next level.
Broad looks a player to me but has I lot to do before he can be considered and I'm hoping Castagna can play across HB.
So by mid year I'd like to see this as a backline

Grimes  Rance  Vlastuin
Castagna  Broad  McIntosh 
(Yarran needs to play forward IMO for us to be more dangerous aound goal)

All IMO are tough, defend first and are attacking once we get the footy.
We need to generate more scores from our rebound from our backline. We need to put teams under pressure the entire 100 minutes and from every part of the ground.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »
Our backline is not a problem for us. One of the best in the comp. our problems come from ball use and defence from our mids and forwards when the opposition has the ball

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
houli gets exposed too often

morris cant kick when there

bachelor gets beaten a lot

chappy is a laughing stock

delusional mate