Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 179966 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2017, 02:07:23 AM »
Nankervis relishing his new environment

Australian Community Media - Fairfax Media
Feb 7, 2017

“I just want to be able to play more senior footy and realise more what it is about."

As tough as it was to depart Sydney, Toby Nankervis says the move to Richmond has been the best thing for him and his football development.

The 22-year-old ruckman from George Town, who was traded to the Tigers for pick 46 during last year’s trade period, admitted the simple desire to play more senior football was the motivation for his relocation.

Nankervis managed just 12 games in three years for the Swans, and fell behind Sam Naismith in the pecking order, while at Punt Road a spot as support for Shaun Hampson is up for grabs.

”I love Sydney, it was a great place to live as well as play football, but for me, it was about playing as much senior footy as I can,’’ he told Fairfax Media.

“At Sydney when you look at who they have in the ruck and up forward, it was pretty hard for me to break in, but when the opportunity to come to Richmond came up, it was very exciting.”

Nankervis’ last game in the red and white was arguably his best, collecting a career-high 15 disposals and winning 16 hit-outs in the semi-final win over Adelaide.

But he made way for the returning Kurt Tippett for the preliminary final win over Geelong, and was listed as an emergency on grand final day.

The former North Launceston player believed getting a taste of finals football was the best practical lesson so far in his football education.

The 35th pick in the 2013 national draft knows he still has a lot of improvement left in him.

“Every game I played last year I thought I improved, and that gave me the confidence that I could play at the level, and being able to play a semi-final was a terrific opportunity.

“I just want to be able to play more senior footy and realise more what it is about.

“Playing against better opposition will make me better as well, but the improvement will come from me. I’m 22 and I’ve got that confidence that my best footy still in front of me, but I just want to work as hard as I can on the track to get fit and strong and give myself the best opportunity to play AFL footy.

“When I got to Sydney I was told that not being overly tall for an AFL ruckman, I need to be able to go forward and kick goals and If I can do that, it will be massive for the side.”

The quietly-spoken Nankervis believes he has made a good start so far on the training track saying he feels as fit and as strong as ever.

He also likes what he sees at the Tigers as they look to return to the finals.

He described Damien Hardwick as someone who coaches the way he played, hard and tough, and the idea of playing in front of the passionate Tiger Army is something that genuinely excites him.

“I just think he (Hardwick) likes the way I go about my footy physically, as I can be aggressive,’’ Nankervis said.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/4444301/nankervis-relishing-his-new-environment/

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
The bloke can catch the ball. He's already ahead of Hampson for that fact alone.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
The bloke can catch the ball. He's already ahead of Hampson for that fact alone.

He's already ahead of Hampson for the additional fact that he doesnt force feed the opposition midfield all day long with quality ball.

That and when he attempts to handball he actually doesnt miss the ball with his fist.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
"He described Damien Hardwick as someone who coaches the way he played, hard and tough"

:lol
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
"He described Damien Hardwick as someone who coaches the way he played, hard and tough"

:lol

He's new, has to toe the company line early on  ;D

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
I was expecting him to say that Dimma told him confidentially that this is the best side he has seen since being at the club! :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
Healthy sarcasm level in this thread.....well done :clapping

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »
You'd be once again concerned if this guy hadnt already surpassed the great man.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Tough Toby’s instant Tiger impact

Tony Greenberg,
richmondfc.com.au 
February 15, 2017

Former Sydney ruckman Toby Nankervis has been a standout during the pre-season for his new league club Richmond.

The Tigers secured the services of the 199cm, 106kg, 22-year-old in last year’s AFL trade period, and they’ve been delighted with what he’s shown so far.

Nankervis, who played 12 senior games in three years for the Swans, is clearly determined to make the most of the greater opportunities that will be presented to him at Tigerland.

“Toby Nankervis has been a fantastic find for the Richmond Football Club,” Tigers assistant coach Blake Caracella told ‘Roar Vision’.

“His ability and willingness to compete for the ball, hit bodies and follow up and chase, is very impressive.

“And he really loves the contest . . .

“He’s going to be a fantastic addition.”

Fellow Richmond assistant coach McQualter agreed wholeheartedly with Caracella’s comments about Nankervis.

“He’s been good.  He’s nearly put a couple of our players in hospital with some of his tackles, but he’s had a real presence so far,” McQualter said.

“He’s a quiet, unassuming sort of guy, but works really hard . . .

“He’s made a great impression so far.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-02-15/tough-tobys-instant-tiger-impact

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
His ability and willingness to compete for the ball, hit bodies and follow up and chase, is very impressive
I hope this isn't just in comparison to the low standard Hampson sets
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
Feel he might be a real trier and give his all but regardless his clangers will even up the good stuff, I suppose even if he has a neutral game its still better than the minus games that Hampson has managed to dish out regularly, hope I am wrong about Nankers.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2017, 02:40:34 PM »
bloke is only 22 and enters yr 4. Hes a  juvenile in ruck terms.
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty.  Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
He obviously showed all the  signs mentioned above at Sydney both on track and Neafl but none of it has translated to Afl yet.

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty.  Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.
 We recruited a developing ruckman who likely will take time. But like everyone thinks it would be great if he came on in leaps and bounds and replaced Hampson.Unfortunately at AFL level to date he is still behind Hampson. At the moment the only area that has been acceptable at the level is his aggression and work with out the ball.

He was very handy in Swans finals win against Adelaide last year. Then he was dropped for Tippet who played like a donkey in the GF. My swans mates wanted him to stay in the team.

Not certain he's behind Hampson at AFL level.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:24:10 AM by Willy »

FlashGordon

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

Therein lies the problem or uncertainty. Theres been nothing to suggest he wont at some stage make a good Afl ruckman but I think we have to be patient.

All this = been there done that and what is of real concern is that from what little birdies have whispered to me, his selection was basically an afterthought of WTF lets do it type poo. 
If he works out it will be a bonus, but lets for once learn that for them to develop into good to top ruckman they need a base of some kind of skill that shows out from day one...havent we been down the same path a trillion times, affordeing the same excuse to the  likes of Steinfort, Biurton, Eastaugh, Browne Gus, Esler, Putt  etc....where we have waitied a decade for what was never going to happen to happen?
I have real concerns about this selection and from the info i have received re. his ability in most aspects outside this aggression is very limited and in fact ZERO...Why we allowed FJ to continue to be a part of recruiting is a complete mystery to me.  The Hampson charade is a pure desperate attempt to make right what every man and his dog knows was wrong with what we coughed up for him and this extension of 2 years for that he has provided us is complete and utter stupidity by a desperate regime wanting to delay the inevitable in the hope that the punters forget what they gave up for him and the other player we swooped on from the tankers for the same price.  Its there for all to see how desperate we are, when other teams arr building a list, we are resigning Ivvy who can harldy walk...like get real FFS
Toby has a lot more tricks in his bag other than aggression.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.