Author Topic: Election results  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Election results
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2004, 09:57:49 AM »
the not welcome sign should be displayed prominently ;D
I must say that's a very alternative supporters type of attitude as was displayed during the election campaign. I can understand your sentiments but I definitely don't agree. Hopefully you are at least partly joking.

When I said I'd like "some" of the unsuccessful candidates to work with the board I had in mind the likes of Sharon Hall who is fresh, seems keen to help and doesn't appear to have personal issues. It makes sense to be circumspect about Macek, Schwab and Welsh but they can still be valuable contributors.
To say they shouldn't be welcome, they don't have the RFC at heart and some of their supporters should follow another team doesn't sit well with me.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

froars

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2004, 10:51:25 AM »
They should be all welcomed back at the club as though no election had been held at all.
No-one has the right to shun supporters, no matter who they are.
If they continue to cause trouble, i think the members will suss out their motives pretty quick and any attempts for further board disruption will not be looked on unfavourably - unless, of course, there's cause.
The voting back of the board is ppl showing faith in what they are doing at the moment - and i'm personally glad the supporters saw it that way.
I'm hoping there's no future reason why we should have to go through something like this again.
Premiership in 2007 thanks!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2004, 12:28:09 PM »
They should be all welcomed back at the club as though no election had been held at all.
No-one has the right to shun supporters, no matter who they are.
If they continue to cause trouble, i think the members will suss out their motives pretty quick and any attempts for further board disruption will not be looked on unfavourably - unless, of course, there's cause.

I agree Moi - it is time for everyone to work together. Clinto Casey has extended the olive branch and accepted that he probably wasn't as accessable (though I personally never found that 8)) as he should have been as President.

The Alternative have to accept that the members have had their say and made a very very clear cut decision. They need to show and extend the same olive branch - they need to work with the board and club to help bring some unity to the place. It will interesting to see if any attend Wednesday's AGM - the ball's in their court but if they chose not to attend it would be IM(ever so)HO wrong.

Clearly there are past players who feel aggrieved - whether the alternative used this to their advantage during  the election is open to debate but now is a great opportunity for the people on that ticket to assist the club with bringing the former players back and feeling part of the Club - rather than feeding any tensions that maybe present.

As bg25 said on another thread "the tribe has spoken" - we all need to accept it and move on - preferably forward in the same direction - UNITED

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Life goes on

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2004, 01:05:58 PM »
Was saying it jokingly although you wouldnt be offering the red carpet to the likes of schwab and welsh would you ? ::)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2004, 01:28:49 PM »
I'd encourage them to be a part what looks to be exciting times for the club.
I'd at least give them the benefit of any doubt that they would channel their skills in the right direction. In spite of some dubious tactics in the election I have always thought they are good people.
I'm impressed that Casey has extended the olive branch and hope everyone can follow his lead.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Life goes on

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2004, 07:18:34 PM »
Just remember one thing, they were offered the ""olive tree"" before the election and they told Casey to stick. They also told Miller if they were elected that Miller would go straight away, thus Millers stance in running and concequently obtaining a seat on the board.
Lets all move on !

Bulluss

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2004, 09:02:37 PM »
LMAO@ some lady who runs a certain website saying that the result was far from a landslide!!!

Well i would have thought that having all 9 people on the ticket elected and the 9th person being roughly 1000 votes ahead of the alternative boards best to be a landslide.

Suck poo Schwab and PRE

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Casey seeks to bury the hatchet
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:22 AM »
Casey seeks to bury the hatchet
By Dan Oakes
The Age
December 20, 2004

As the dust settles in the aftermath of the struggle for control of Richmond, re-elected president Clinton Casey has extended the olive branch to his defeated foes.

Casey said yesterday he would meet members of the Charles Macek-led ticket that failed in its attempt to dislodge him from his position at the helm of the troubled club.

"We'll in some way, shape or form make contact with them during the week (but) it's not just them, there are former players we need to sit down with, the former players' association as well, there are former board members we need to talk to. We just really need to sit down and get a general feeling for who's feeling disenfranchised," Casey said. "We're all big boys and at the end of the day, this is a club. We don't need to be best friends, but we have to have the best interests of the club at heart and work out a way that we can all live together and, where possible, help each other out."

At times, the election was spiteful, with accusations of conflict of interest, arrogance, wedge politics and financial incompetence hurled around by various players in the drama. Both sides leaked material to journalists in efforts to discredit their opponents, notably in relation to Tigers legends Rex Hunt and Bill Barrot, who both entered the fray, only to retire licking their wounds.

At one stage, Casey suggested that material sent to members by Macek's ticket was defamatory of him and flagged the possibility of legal action, a course of action Macek lieutenant Brendan Schwab described as "ludicrous".

Macek said yesterday he expected to meet with Casey soon, but insisted the onus was on the president to organise a meeting. The two will certainly run into each other at the club's annual meeting on Wednesday.

"(The AGM) will be an interesting demonstration of any change in the attitude of the current board. The board now clearly has the responsibility for taking the club forward, so, I think any initiative needs to come from them," Macek said.

"I think the thing that has to happen now is that the club has to become united. It will be difficult for some people because there are aspects of the campaign that obviously some people will feel strongly about, but I think we've all got to be big enough and willing enough to see what can be contributed to help the club out of the very serious financial position it's in."

Macek again claimed that the popularity with the members of football operations manager Greg Miller had pushed Casey over the line. Casey's campaign appeared to be faltering before Miller made the extraordinary decision a month ago to abandon impartiality and run on Casey's ticket. Miller polled more votes than any of the other 19 candidates, including Casey.

Macek also said despite none of his team finishing among the nine highest-polling candidates, the result was not the crushing defeat it might seem to be.

"In a way, it is closer than it appears, even though it's a decisive victory, because it only needed 10 to 15 per cent of the people who voted for the Casey ticket to change and then you would have had a different result," Macek said.

"Clearly, given the enormous support that Greg Miller got, as evidenced by the fact that he out-polled everyone comfortably, that's not a bad result."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/19/1103391634652.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Casey seeks to bury the hatchet
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
Good on Casey for trying to mend bridges and be willing to sit down and talk. I'd be surprised if Schwab and Welsh take up the offer but other less profile people on the alternative ticket do have some attributes that would benefit the club. Past players are already helping out with the mentor program Terry has got going.

Pleased with Macek saying "the thing that has to happen now is that the club has to become united.... I think we've all got to be big enough and willing enough to see what can be contributed to help the club out"

"In a way, it is closer than it appears, even though it's a decisive victory

Didn't realise Danny Frawley wrote the alternative's material lol ;).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:58:59 AM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Casey seeks to bury the hatchet
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2004, 10:16:31 AM »
"I think the thing that has to happen now is that the club has to become united. It will be difficult for some people because there are aspects of the campaign that obviously some people will feel strongly about, but I think we've all got to be big enough and willing enough to see what can be contributed to help the club out of the very serious financial position it's in."

Spot on Charles - I agree :thumbsup It is all about unity now - not road blocks UNITY

I actaully heard Charles Macek on SEN this morning - he repeated again his views about Miller being on the board and it being unacceptable  :sleep But one thing he said and I applaud him for saying it was that the he was pleased the members has finally had their say and had been able to elect the entire 9 directors and it was pleasing that so many had taken the time to vote.

He also said it was extremely disappointing that Sharon Hall did not get elected to represent the 50%+ members of the Club.

"In a way, it is closer than it appears, even though it's a decisive victory

Didn't realise Danny Frawley wrote the alternative's material lol ;).

:rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2004, 01:12:47 PM »
The best thing about all of this is that the members decided what was best for RFC,  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup rather than a few angry men behind the scenes with their noses out of joint, as seems to have generally happened in the past.

Had the RFC Board been accountable and answerable to its members over the last 20 years, then we couldn’t have achieved the mediocre results we have in that time.

If we want our footy club to stop achieving those stunted results and from just going nowhere, then it has to be up to members to determine the direction of their Club, otherwise, why have members at all?  Minority groups short circuiting plans and creating an unaccountable and therefore unworkable environment doesn’t help the on or off-field department of any Club or organisation.

For me, this is just the best news ever (well nearly ever).  Because, instead of listening to what was being said on radio and tv and what was being written in the press, Richmond members made up their own minds as to the best direction for their Club.

Richmond members/supporters would have a greater understanding of what’s been wrong with this Club over more than just the last 2 or 3 years.  But the way some “observers” speak, you would think that they know Richmond better than Richmond members know their own Club?

And if you listen to some out there in radio and newspaper land, they don’t seem to understand the election result.  And the reason they don’t is because they base their views on just recent results, rather than looking at the whole picture.  Which is the same mistake the Alternative group made.

We’re the ones who follow RFC religiously, and whether it turns out to be a result for the better or not, as members, it is our right to determine the direction our Club takes.  And everybody else’s views can take a back seat, from hereon in, because those who have made up our minds for us in the past have only served to send us on the road to nowhere.

If things are to change permanently then it should always be the right of members to determine the direction of their Club, because they’re the ones who know and understand it better than most.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2004, 01:36:40 PM »
The best thing about all of this is that the members decided what was best for RFC,  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup rather than a few angry men behind the scenes with their noses out of joint, as seems to have generally happened in the past.

Had the RFC Board been accountable and answerable to its members over the last 20 years, then we couldn’t have achieved the mediocre results we have in that time.

If we want our footy club to stop achieving those stunted results and from just going nowhere, then it has to be up to members to determine the direction of their Club, otherwise, why have members at all?  Minority groups short circuiting plans and creating an unaccountable and therefore unworkable environment doesn’t help the on or off-field department of any Club or organisation.

For me, this is just the best news ever (well nearly ever).  Because, instead of listening to what was being said on radio and tv and what was being written in the press, Richmond members made up their own minds as to the best direction for their Club.

Richmond members/supporters would have a greater understanding of what’s been wrong with this Club over more than just the last 2 or 3 years.  But the way some “observers” speak, you would think that they know Richmond better than Richmond members know their own Club?

And if you listen to some out there in radio and newspaper land, they don’t seem to understand the election result.  And the reason they don’t is because they base their views on just recent results, rather than looking at the whole picture.  Which is the same mistake the Alternative group made.

We’re the ones who follow RFC religiously, and whether it turns out to be a result for the better or not, as members, it is our right to determine the direction our Club takes.  And everybody else’s views can take a back seat, from hereon in, because those who have made up our minds for us in the past have only served to send us on the road to nowhere.

If things are to change permanently then it should always be the right of members to determine the direction of their Club, because they’re the ones who know and understand it better than most.

Great post.

The alt's downfall was their insistance that problems only existed during the past 5 years and 5 years only.  Most RFC members have been around for way longer than that and they know that there has been something wrong with the club for a period much longer than that.  Yes we haven't had as bad results financially and football wise as last year, but things just haven't been right.  Last year was the year we just let go and were left to free-fall.  You can't hold on for too long and the inevitable was always gonna happen when things are not right.

Also I think members were sick of the conservative and band aid approach of the past.  The big broom that swept through the place recently and the subsequent appointments were enough to get the current board home.  It's like alot of members gave off a sigh of releif and thought "at last some proper ballsy decisions".  That was enough to get them home.  The Miller factor only re-enforced the fact that that they were onto something and that they all really beleived in it - some steadfast assertiveness only serves to gain more respect.

As a member and a supporter I can only go on my gut feeling and opinion of the club.  I have never had more respect and admiration in the club than I do curently based on direction it is heading.  I have always been a proud supporter but deep down I always knew we weren't the real deal, that it was cringe time every time we tried to be one of the big boys.  It was like a little brother you have that you try and protect every time he tries to be too big for his boots.  With some true professionals at the club at the moment and some quality talent, I think the little brother can look after himself now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 02:37:22 PM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »
The alt's downfall was their insistance that problems only existed during the past 5 years and 5 years only.  Most RFC members have been around for way longer than that and they know that there has been something wrong with the club for a period much longer than that.  Yes we haven't had as bad results financially and football wise as last year, but things just haven't been right.  Last year was the year we just let go and were left to free-fall.  You can't hold on for too long and the inevitable was always gonna happen when things are not right.

Exactly Harry.  Some have known for years the depth of our problems.  But no one from within, until Miller’s appointment, seemed to know or understand where the real problems were, or how to deal with them.  This time, because we didn’t try and find someone to blame (i.e. Coach) for everything that went wrong, but instead let things run full term, we were finally allowed to see exactly how bad things really were. 

Which meant that there weren’t any short-term, misleading, results gained by making short-term, quick fix decisions.  Now, any decisions can be based on a true indication of where we are at and we can re-build the place, from the ground up.

Also I think members were sick of the conservative and band aid approach of the past.  The big broom that swept through the place recently and the subsequent appointments were enough to get the current board home.  It's like alot of members gave off a sigh of releif and thought "at last some proper ballsy decisions".  That was enough to get them home.  The Miller factor only re-enforced the fact that that they were onto something and that they all really beleived in it - some steadfast assertiveness only serves to gain more respect.

For the Alt. group to focus on the finances, from the outset, meant that they had no idea of the real issues that needed to be addressed.  Fixing the finances doesn’t fix the on-field stuff, especially if you don’t even know the footy department needs fixing.  Members voted for Miller because they know their footy club and what needs to happen before we can see any real improvement on or off the field.

As a member and a supporter I can only go on my gut feeling and opinion of the club.  I have never had more respect and admiration in the club than I do curently based on direction it is heading.  I have always been a proud supporter but deep down I always knew we weren't the real deal, that it was cringe time every time we tried to be one of the big boys.  It was like a little brother you have that you try and protect every time he tries to be too big for his boots.  With some true professionals at the club at the moment and some quality talent, I think the little brother can look after himself now.

I'm the same HarryH.  And as long as people are given time and allowed to do their job then things should now be able to head in the right direction.

Even if they don’t, there’s a time and place for changes to happen and for people to have their say.  And it doesn’t need people in the background to take matters into their own hands to try and “fix” things.  It only creates more problems than it’s worth and is what has sent us backwards in the past.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2004, 04:02:01 PM »
And another thing, members are sick and tired of false hopes.  Every time the club seemed to do well on the park you knew it was only a matter of time until it fell into a heap ?  Why was this ?  Why were even the most passionate supporters expecting us to fail ?  Because deep down, despite what people wanted to beleive, they knew that the structure, the culture, the people in place etc. were not of a calibre that could keep it up or have plans in place to avoid any severe slumps.

A friend of mine who is a supporter but not a member of recent time said to me that he always expects us to fall into a hole every time we show some promise and some form.  If this enters the mind of a part time supporter, then imagine the uncertainty that enters the mind and heart of a full time supporter and member. 

We always had to play at 110% to win games and scrape through at that.  I want a team that can win at 70-80% and when we are switched on to really thump teams.  I want a team to be able to revert to plan B when plan A isn't working and have plan B get us over the line.  In the past we've had plan A, then we've had heads down and wait for the final siren to end the pain.

Members have been sick to death with false hopes and lack of ability for too long and said enough is enough - we need decisiveness and a proper overhaul of the footy department....one that can be created properly from scratch, involving professionals and one that get's us away from the band aid approach of the recent past.  Well decisiveness and an overhaul is exactly what the current board brought to them.  They stood their ground and made the proper changes - something we as members had been wanting for for too long.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »
Top posts TS and Harry.

You can sum up the alternative's failings in the very first sentence of their brochure where they lauded 1999 as an example of what they were all about. Looking back at the past and a past that represented mediocrity. The members knew we've sadly been there many times before over the past 20 years and were sick of it.

We always had to play at 110% to win games and scrape through at that.  I want a team that can win at 70-80% and when we are switched on to really thump teams.  I want a team to be able to revert to plan B when plan A isn't working and have plan B get us over the line.  In the past we've had plan A, then we've had heads down and wait for the final siren to end the pain.

Hit the nail on the head once again Harry. That there explains why we finished 9th so many times. We could scrounge out wins again similar mediocre teams but fall in a heap against any side with a bit of quality who could match our effort. When we did make the finals in 95 and especially in 2001 we were sitting ducks for the classy and highly skilled sides. It's no coincidence IMHO that the sides we've struggled to beat and haven't got within a bull's roar of in a long time are Port, Brissy and Essendon. Giving your all just doesn't cut it if you can't back it up with class. Good sides win even when they aren't playing that well. That's what having 5 picks in the top 20 of a draft is all about - introducing skill and class into the side.