Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465280 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

RICHMOND favourite son Matthew Richardson believes his in-form former teammate Jack Riewoldt is now an on-field leader.

Exactly what I've been thinking and saying the last few weeks.

You can see Jack is winning a lot of trust and that the boys have faith in him to take a contested mark. He's the one bloke geeing everyone up when we are down.

All this talk about whether Deledio/Cotchin are next captain could be premature. There's nothing like a contested mark to encourage a team. His work rate and selflessness is outstanding these days. We could have a marking forward leader of the quality of Carey/Brown if you chart his progress and that is invaluable. Personally I think he should take Simmonds place in the leadership group at seasons end if he keeps up this form and more importantly this effort.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
who had him at 5 ?

He had hardly played afl up to that draft.

Jack Riewoldt? He'd played plenty, he switched from soccer as a kid, but he still played plenty of junior and senior VFL football

Was certainly considered a likely Top 10 selection prior to the draft

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2010, 04:31:21 AM »
who had him at 5 ?

He had hardly played afl up to that draft.

Jack Riewoldt? He'd played plenty, he switched from soccer as a kid, but he still played plenty of junior and senior VFL football

Was certainly considered a likely Top 10 selection prior to the draft

And his draft camp results were poor.  Quite slow, so he slipped in all calculations.  The Brown twins went past him.  FJ and GM knew this and traded accordingly.  Whether you agree with trading for Polak or not is irrelevant.  Our preference in order for KP's/rucks at that draft was:
- Hanson
- Gumbleton
- Reiwoldt
- Renouf
- Mitch Brown
- Brad Sellar ???  FJ had huge doubts on Sellars

Thus FJ and GM were confident that they could trade down and still get Jack.  It was a calculated risk that paid off.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »
might be wrong but i thought Weaver had Riewoldt 40 odd and Hislop top 5-10

Click through on the link and have a read. It's interesting looking back.

Quote from: Weaver
33. Jack Reiwoldt (Hawthorn) - A slow centreman in a KP player’s body. Takes very short steps when he runs which can give the impression of running on the spot. Gets his marks from superior reading of the play and anticipation. Lack of athleticism should seem him be the dropper in this draft. Doesn’t get gaps on defenders which means he takes too many contested marks, relies on losing opponents in traffic and getting the ball at ground level. Hawks have never been too fussed about athleticism and won’t be shy about calling his name.

Quote from: Burgatron
8 - COLLINGWOOD - JACK RIEWOLDT
Tassie Mariners, 31 October 1988, 192.3cm, 85.4kg

Another draft 'sub-plot' thickens with Collingwood an intriguing player with two selections inside its top 10. It is understood both the Magpies and Saints are eager to secure the cousin of St Kilda superstar Nick, but if the Pies want him, they must nab him with this selection otherwise they run the risk of the Saints snapping him up with their next pick. But will the Pies consider Thorp, a ruckman (more on that at No.10) or a midfielder with this pick? It genuinely could be a toss up for the Pies, between Riewoldt and Thorp, if they are both available at this choice. The fact that St Kilda is the meat in the Collingwood sandwich makes it an appetising notion. There is no way Leuenberger would get past the Magpies, while if Geelong opted for an alternate to Boak, then the Pies would not let the sleek midfielder pass by either.

Highlights/achievements: Goal-kicking forward who is extremely strong overhead. Impressive at VFL level in eight games for Tasmanian Devils including outstanding game versus Bendigo Bombers where he took 13 marks and kicked four goals. From Clarence F.C.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

richmondrules

« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
I notice Weaver had Connors going at 7 also.  :o

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:45 AM »

- Brad Sellar ???  FJ had huge doubts on Sellars

Thus FJ and GM were confident that they could trade down and still get Jack.  It was a calculated risk that paid off.

James Sellar.

He hasn't done a thing at Adelaide. Lucky FJ had his doubts.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
I notice Weaver had Connors going at 7 also.  :o

and Edwards at #10

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
Riewoldt has leadership written all over him.

last one at training, packing up the ball with the coaches etc.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
I love Jack, and have since watching him in a final for Coburg. Has that extroverted arrogance that has been lacking at tigerland. Purely hypothetical but if he kicks 60 plus goals in a bottom side, what would his trade value be like?? Given the demand for KPF's would he attract first round picks?? 

Purely out of interest I ask. Giving up Jack would be a step backwards but I think there would be a few clubs that would give up alot for him atm.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #444 on: June 10, 2010, 09:02:23 PM »
Interesting change from a few weeks ago when he was seen as spoilt and selfish.

Saw a spot on TV, think it may have been One Week at a Time, where they showed footage of Jack walking around after kicking a goal and he was slapping hands with team mates but with a big scowl on his face. Their comments were about him lightening up and smiling a bit. Looked at the score on screen showing we were down 70-24.

Shows you can't win with the media. Critical if you celebrate too much and then critical if you don't celebrate when you're teams down by 50 points. :P

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #445 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

Shows you can't win with the media. Critical if you celebrate too much and then critical if you don't celebrate when you're teams down by 50 points. :P

Thought the exact same thing myself tonight RT when watching Footy Teams.  Shaw mentioned that it was only a few weeks since Riewoldt was getting told by everyone to knuckle down and pay more attention after the video from the rooms at half time but his advice to Jack is to ignore all that and go out and do what you do best - play the game your own way.  I thought to myself what a sniveling germ - HE was one of the biggest members of the death by hanging posse riding around calling for Jack's head at the time.

Ox

« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:09 PM »
the fact that throughout Matthew Richardson’s entire career at Richmond, only once did he have more goals on the board at the halfway mark of the home-and-away season than the rising Tiger star forward has now.

Give me a break,FFS!      ::)

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
OX, You need to add to your sig

Spoons 26 (1897, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1902, 1904, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1920, 1924, 1943, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1977, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 2000)  :rollin

Wikepedia lists 27 but says 26  ??? Anyway  :rollin

I love reminding them when they get a bit ahead of themselves.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #448 on: June 13, 2010, 04:15:19 PM »
Jack is lazy & could use some more of his energy every week by helping put preasure on the defenders.

Monk seeing Jack over the last few weeks, just wondering what your own words taste like?

popelord your a effwit
When l posted this was Rewoldt doing any of the things l mentioned.

got anymore dumb posts   :rollin :rollin

I think we should trade him.. what do you think?
Go Tigers!

Ramps

« Reply #449 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
a magnificent performance from Jack today. whole team was outstanding, the only thing missing for me was a Griffiths Goal but you cant have it all I suppose.