Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 761897 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #6615 on: February 01, 2024, 08:12:00 PM »
:lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6616 on: February 03, 2024, 12:09:55 AM »
Ok my bad about the AFR. Teach me to post this time at night  :boredom. But the main point stands. It's just more parroting instead of an original opinion :sleep. This time borrowed from a pro-LNP media commentator who surprise surprise used a LNP "poll". Single seat polling even by legit pollsters is unreliable unless it's a very safe seat which Dunkley isn't. Dunkley has mostly been a marginal electorate.

Well on the positive side you are bringing in your time errors from 88 odd years to 12 odd years

A couple more shots at it and you may get on the money
Don't have a hissy just because Coles couldn't even give away your foreign pommie coloured plastic crap that's made in China  :shh.

The fake day summed up by "reduced to clear" labels and still no one wanting it :lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6617 on: February 03, 2024, 12:23:37 AM »
lmao - '65 would be proud of that deflection.... :propeller :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6618 on: February 03, 2024, 01:39:41 AM »
lmao - '65 would be proud of that deflection.... :propeller :shh
Your obsession with '65 who doesn't even post here anymore is a deflection in itself  :shh.

Higher tax cuts for 85% of Aussies.
Falling inflation after inheriting rising out of control inflation from the LNP.
Talk now of a possible three interest rate cuts this year.
Voldemort's laughable cultural war crap boycott being a total flop.

No wonder the LNP fanbois are lashing out in desperation and clutching at straws. 2024 so far has been a shocker for the LNP :chickenlittle :scared :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6619 on: February 03, 2024, 01:59:06 AM »
 :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh 
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6620 on: February 03, 2024, 02:37:00 AM »
Airbus must stay
Please let him stay

Till next election that is

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #6621 on: February 03, 2024, 11:25:42 AM »
MT,

Putting aside your hatred for the LNP (who I'm not even a supporter of, just a slightly less evil imo)... can you say its been a good year for the ALP? Do you genuinely believe they're doing a decent job?
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6622 on: February 03, 2024, 04:58:37 PM »
Well someone is a bit sensitive lately

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6623 on: February 03, 2024, 07:17:20 PM »
MT,

Putting aside your hatred for the LNP (who I'm not even a supporter of, just a slightly less evil imo)... can you say its been a good year for the ALP? Do you genuinely believe they're doing a decent job?

something something parroting Murdoch lies something something Valdemort something something culture wars something something LNPfanbois something something fake australia day cheap chinese flags - insert link to far left websites and get up bot accounts on twitter  :shh :chickenlittle :scared

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6624 on: February 03, 2024, 07:51:32 PM »
 :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6625 on: February 03, 2024, 08:35:25 PM »
Ok my bad about the AFR. Teach me to post this time at night  :boredom. But the main point stands. It's just more parroting instead of an original opinion :sleep. This time borrowed from a pro-LNP media commentator who surprise surprise used a LNP "poll". Single seat polling even by legit pollsters is unreliable unless it's a very safe seat which Dunkley isn't. Dunkley has mostly been a marginal electorate.

Well on the positive side you are bringing in your time errors from 88 odd years to 12 odd years

Don't have a hissy just because Coles couldn't even give away your foreign pommie coloured plastic crap that's made in China  :shh.

The fake day summed up by "reduced to clear" labels and still no one wanting it :lol.

no different to back to school items that go on sale very soon.

my word you have started the year poorly. Try posting during business hours.  :shh

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6626 on: February 04, 2024, 11:44:32 PM »
MT,

something something parroting Murdoch lies something something Valdemort something something culture wars something something LNPfanbois something something fake australia day cheap chinese flags - insert link to far left websites and get up bot accounts on twitter  :shh :chickenlittle :scared
More deflecting  :shh.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6627 on: February 04, 2024, 11:46:47 PM »

no different to back to school items that go on sale very soon.

my word you have started the year poorly. Try posting during business hours.  :shh
No major supermarket has ever stopped selling all back-to-school items and nor has any dopey opposition leader said to boycott them over it. Try again!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6628 on: February 05, 2024, 12:09:34 AM »
MT,

The ALP inherited a trainwreck of an economy. Rapidly rising inflation at 6% and growing, debt approaching $1T with nothing to show for it, stagnant wages over the previous decade, a 20% increase in power prices that was deliberately hidden until after the May 22 election, and interest rates only beginning to increase thanks to the RBA being too slow to react when they should've increased the rate multiple times prior to the 2022 election. Anybody with a basic understanding of economics knew things were going to continue to get worse during the first 18 months of Labor's first term before they got better. Curbing inflation takes time even following standard centrist if not neo-liberal economic policy. This plus the failure of the Voice referendum hurt Labor in the polls during 2023 but they have now stabilised (latest Newspoll has ALP 52 LNP 48 - same as last election - and 62% support the stage 3 tax changes). The economic task to fix the mess Labor inherited is not done yet but recent CPI figures (4.1% for the Dec 23 qtr) show the tide is turning for the better. If the March 24 qtr figure follows the downward trend, then inflation will be in the low-mid 3s and hence the talk of interest rate cuts by the middle of this year. It's why I stated 2024, not 2023. 

n.b. the red line is the May 22 election (June 22 qtr crosses over it).
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/economy/price-indexes-and-inflation/consumer-price-index-australia/latest-release#data-downloads

Am I saying the govt doesn't need to do more, say in terms major reform? No. However, the useless MSM (almost all of them these days) wanting to turn every major issue into a clickbait pantomime with their pathetic simplistic yes/no gotcha questions stifles any serious grown up discussion. People forget Hawke & Keating's economic reforms in the 80s and Howard's GST (after saying "never ever" to a GST) were introduced once in government; while Hewson and Shorten both got burnt by being upfront from opposition. The media are as much to blame for the political gamemanship as the pollies are.

ps. Nice to get a sensible well-articulated question in this thread by the way. Credit to you, AT.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6629 on: February 06, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »
Serious question

Anyone watching Nemesis on the ABC?

I knew Aussie politics was in the mire but OMG  :gobdrop
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)