Author Topic: Noah Cumberland [merged]  (Read 53042 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Noah Cumberland [merged]
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
I dount blame either Noah for the loss.

Yes he should have gone back and had a shot. He would have either won us the game or it was a draw. He will learn from that.

I thought he was much better this week than last week. More consistent

His 1st half was brilliant. A bit quieter in the 2nd half but busted a gut with his defensive pressure. Really would love to see him and MJR working together at AFL level. That is something to look forward to

Agreed- I was initially critical of his game as he was playing selfish footy. The more I see of him in the firsts, the more I like. We might have found a player here :shh

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2022, 11:10:14 AM »
I just wish reporters would report correctly he marked the ball just outside 50 and not knowing the time left played on to make sure he could get the distance.
Totally unlike the Aarts one who was just 30 out and had the distance in him easily.

If we are to have a go at anyone it should be the Balta one. there really is no excuse to go past the allotted 30 seconds you could hear the ump telling him and you could hear the the two peeps on the whistle that tells a player to move straight away.

FooffooValve

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2022, 11:54:20 AM »
I just wish reporters would report correctly he marked the ball just outside 50 and not knowing the time left played on to make sure he could get the distance.
Totally unlike the Aarts one who was just 30 out and had the distance in him easily.

If we are to have a go at anyone it should be the Balta one. there really is no excuse to go past the allotted 30 seconds you could hear the ump telling him and you could hear the the two peeps on the whistle that tells a player to move straight away.

Not being critical of the guy, he was really good last night, but he's got that distance in his left peg, and more, and he knows it. He had two shots from outside 50 earlier in the game and kicked them over the fence. Let's just call a spade a spade - it was a total brain fade.

Broadsword

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2022, 12:01:07 PM »

Not being critical of the guy, he was really good last night, but he's got that distance in his left peg, and more, and he knows it. He had two shots from outside 50 earlier in the game and kicked them over the fence. Let's just call a spade a spade - it was a total brain fade.
True. But maybe he was knackered and couldn't maintain the distance after four quarters. He probably would have kicked from 50-55 after 120 minutes of football in those legs.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »

Disagree he marked at about 52 and would have had at least a 55 plus kick. his two shots at goal were both inside 50 i dont know too many players who would not want to get a bit closer to ensure they reach.

Broadsword

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
3 more seconds and he kicks a score on the run on the siren to win the game. In some ways it's just cruel bad luck.

(My favourite goal on the siren is Matty Rogers vs North Melbourne at quarter time, round 4 1995.)

"Close to siren time. Kellaway gets the handpass away--this could be the last kick of the quarter--SIREN--it could be a goal to Rogers!"

"Ho-hoh!!"

"Right on siren time, it's quarter time, in one of the most extraordinary quarters we've seen for a long long time! Richmond, you are getting a standing ovation!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fst0PFGDq3I

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2022, 12:40:34 PM »
I am an enormous fan of Cumberland, I really think he's got a bit of Stringer type to his game but bigger and less criminal.

I am however critical of either his development or application. He may have been trying to pass the ball off and didn't think he had the range, he may have been having a shot but wanted a bit of momentum to get the legs. Its just awful bad luck. Siren goes 1 sec earlier, and he gets the luxury of certainty. 1 second later we get to see the decision of having a shot or a pass. Either would have been fine in circumstance, as only he knows whether he had the journey.

Balta, a bit the same, he took his 30, so so so often players wind down all 30 seconds and start walking in, he did that but the Freo players I thought were half a second early. The right call of play on was made but the Freo guys did go early and made the decision up for the ump who didn't challenge it.

I think whilst both players will be criticised by some, I think the development and teaching of both players has to as well. How do we get 2 marks within range in the last minute and not manage to have a shot on goal is comical. A leader should have been next to Balta telling him how long he has. They had 5 Freo players ready to pounce. We didn't have anyone switched on.
Go Tigers!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2022, 12:50:08 PM »
3 more seconds and he kicks a score on the run on the siren to win the game. In some ways it's just cruel bad luck.

Nup
Watch it again .. was going to be tackled instantly

Broadsword

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2022, 01:01:29 PM »

Nup
Watch it again .. was going to be tackled instantly
True. Matty Knights could have squeezed it from there though. :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2022, 01:06:29 PM »

Disagree he marked at about 52 and would have had at least a 55 plus kick. his two shots at goal were both inside 50 i dont know too many players who would not want to get a bit closer to ensure they reach.

Sorry Claw but 50 or 55 metres out he could make the distance. He can clear 60 easily

As I posted earlier

He goes back and kicks a score we win, he doesn't and it's a draw...he will learn

Think they all will
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2022, 02:54:26 PM »
So why didn’t the message  get to him that  there was only 3 sec to go?

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2022, 03:12:43 PM »
So why didn’t the message  get to him that  there was only 3 sec to go?

How would this happen? impossible to get a message in those circumstances. Jack was right next to him yelling to take the shot, momentum and not being able to hear Jack was the problem.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2022, 03:28:57 PM »
Maybe he could get the distance, maybe he couldn’t and it seems he felt that way as well which is why he played on. Very unfortunate and unlucky. Back in the day there could have been runners close by to be giving the players messages but the AFL had enough of that.

Think people need to factor in that is was a 55-60m kick at the very end of a slugfest, with the added pressure of potentially being to win the game, after the siren which would have had 4-5 dockers players waving their arms near the mark and the other 17-18 on the line to punch it away. I wouldn’t have been too surprised if he didn’t register a point if he did go back and take the set shot.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2022, 04:51:44 PM »
Can't help but think this was inexperience in game sense.  Our team is suffering from a lot of young players doing the wrong thing at the wrong time purely due to experience. Even the smothered shot on goal from Balta was inexperience. Balta has played 57 games but only about 15 to 20 as a forward I'd guess. A more experienced forward would know his routine timing better.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2022, 04:55:58 PM »
I can’t agree that that’s inexperience. He’s a defender he sees forward taking shots for goal all the time and the umpire counting them down.

+ there’s a big countdown timer on the scoreboard right in front of him. All he had to do was take 1 step forward and that would be it.