Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 411854 times)

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #1845 on: August 07, 2021, 05:08:09 PM »
Big Gus Graham was more mobile than this guy.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1846 on: August 07, 2021, 05:44:27 PM »
Can we trade him out lol?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1847 on: August 08, 2021, 12:31:10 AM »
He is really a disappointing player and very frustrating to watch on tv.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1848 on: August 08, 2021, 01:09:34 AM »
I do agree was on fire first couple weeks when.he come back , but gez he gets nothing from the umpiring I tell you.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1849 on: August 08, 2021, 05:47:02 AM »
Dimma was pretty strong in defending Lynch after the game.

Dimma initially replied to the journo's question by saying:

Dimma: "Tom will always get criticism. We (the coaches) play our forwards a specific way. As long as he isn't getting out-marked and bringing the ball to ground then we're happy. Tom plays his role. He is a two-time premiership player. Enough said!"

However, after a pause, Dimma decided it wasn't enough and kept going  :laugh::

"It's easy from the cheap seats. Some people forget how difficult the game is to play. Tom is often out-numbered."

-------

Dimma then had a not so subtle dig at the umps:

Dimma: "He (Lynch) doesn't get treated fairly at stages. I would like those people (journos upstairs) to have a really good hard look at his game. Study it and see what they see. They will always find something to criticise I guarantee you. Once again the critics sit there and they judge from afar. Come and sit on the field and see how you go. Tough game these days."

Journo: "Do you mean treated unfairly by the umpires or by the critics?"

Dimma: "Watch the game! You have a look."

-----

Journo: "Jonathan Brown during the match said Lynch should be tried in the ruck to get him into the game."

Dimma: "Browny is quite capable to put his name up to coach at some stage. If he wants to coach then by all means put your hand up. It's easy to sit there and make judgement calls and say (laughs) put him into the ruck and do this and that. Seriously give me his job and we'll swap for a week."

Go to 4:20 min mark: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/995820/round-21-hardwick-post-match

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1850 on: August 08, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »
I do agree was on fire first couple weeks when.he come back , but gez he gets nothing from the umpiring I tell you.

Our key forwards get absolutely nothing and it is clearly evident. The frustration it must cause them is beyond comprehension. Other players in the comp get a free run and some seem to be allowed to do as they please without being punished. How Hawkins is allowed to use two hands in a forward ruck contest to push the opposing ruck out of the way (mostly pushing them in the back) and is allowed to get away with it is astonishing. 

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1851 on: August 08, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
He is really a disappointing player and very frustrating to watch on tv.

People scoffed at me when I suggested this earlier in the year.

Umpires or form, whatever. He's been very average since 2019. Dress it up how you like. We are paying him almost as much as Dusty ffs.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1852 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:22 PM »
Dimma then had a not so subtle dig at the umps:

Dimma: "He (Lynch) doesn't get treated fairly at stages. I would like those people (journos upstairs) to have a really good hard look at his game. Study it and see what they see. They will always find something to criticise I guarantee you. Once again the critics sit there and they judge from afar. Come and sit on the field and see how you go. Tough game these days."

Journo: "Do you mean treated unfairly by the umpires or by the critics?"

Dimma: "Watch the game! You have a look."
This is what Dimma is talking about. Clear frees to Lynch deliberately not being paid  :thumbsdown.

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1424092664245362691
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1853 on: August 08, 2021, 03:46:17 PM »
Lynch is a gun. I will always back him. He got us 2019 and showed how important he was in the finals series in 20. The AFL and umpires are deliberately shafting him like they did Richo.

The umpires just need to flat out be put on notice for their dodgy free kick rewarding/non rewarding

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Seriously, give me his job’: Hardwick fires back at AFL great amid criticism of star Tiger

North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey says Damien Hardwick has “lost it”, which comes after the Richmond coach laughed off critics of star forward Tom Lynch’s form slump.

Lynch managed just one goal against North Melbourne on Saturday, making it just four goals in the past three weeks for the two-time premiership goalkicker.

Commentating the Tigers’ win on Saturday for Fox Footy, Brisbane Lions goalkicking great Jonathan Brown said he could barely sight Lynch and urged him to be moved up the ground to get into the game.

Speaking to media post-match, Hardwick said Lynch was playing his role in bringing the ball to ground.

The three-time premiership coach then singled out Brown for his criticisms.

“What I will say is it’s very easy in the cheap seats. I think what people tend to do is they tend to forget how hard this game is,” Hardwick bristled.

“Tom’s often outnumbered. I think he doesn’t get treated fairly at various stages. I’d like those people to have a really good, hard look at his game, sit there and study his game and see what they see. They’ll always find something, I guarantee you.”

Hardwick said the criticisms levelled at his star forward were unwarranted given the difficulties posed by the modern game.

“Once again mate, the critics, they sit there and they judge from afar. Go and sit on the field and see how you go. Tough game these days,” he said.

“Browny’s capable of putting his hand up to coach at some stage. If he wants to coach, by all means, put your hand up. Easy to sit there and make judgment calls.

“Seriously, give me his job. Let’s swap for a week.”

Hardwick’s comments irked Carey, who weighed in on the barb on Triple M.

“Dimma’s lost it, seriously. The fact he could say that about Jonathan Brown, who by the way has played Tom Lynch’s position as well as anyone that’s ever played that position, he’s so entitled to have an opinion on that,” Carey said.

“I understand Dimma wants to defend his player but to suggest he’s sitting up in the cheap seats, well Dimma he played the game once and played at a very high level and actually played it better than you did Dimma when you played.

“The fact he says get up here and coach, I just thought that was not on. It’s not the first time in the last few months.

“A part of his motto at Richmond is be humble. Dimma hasn’t been humble a number of times this year and that’s another example of it.

“I think that’s really disappointing from Dimma those comments about Jonathan Brown.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-scores-2021-western-bulldogs-vs-essendon-bombers-round-20-live-updates-video-live-stream-blog-stats/news-story/6e692cb3d68e8393c3c5c1f2b94d08e8?recommendedCount=0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1855 on: August 09, 2021, 06:30:08 AM »
Tom Morris said the journo who asked Dimma the question about Jonathan Brown was Sam Landsberger from the HeraldSun.

Turns out Brown didn't explicitly state that Lynch should be played in the ruck. Brown was starting a discussion about moving Lynch up the ground in a different position. Landsberger however made out Brown just said in the ruck when questioning Dimma.

Here's the exchange between David King and Tom Morris on First Crack last night:

King: "Dimma's fired a shot across the bow and that's fine because he was sold a pup by Sam Landsberger there. If you're going to say what someone says in the commentary then you got to get it right. He was hot, he was ready to fire a bullet or two, he was prodded a couple of times on that question. Browny's never said to put Lynch in the ruck, he was creating a conversation about how you get him in the game. I think Sam Landsberger should make two phone calls. He should ring Damien and say "Look, I apologise for selling you down a path you probably didn't want to go to" and there's actually no positive outcome for him there and to Jonathan Brown. I think it's pretty ordinary to be honest."

Morris: "I think you're being harsh on Sam."

King: "If you're going to say to a coach who's under the pump and answering all sorts of questions about his marquee forward and him being out of form and you're going to quote someone then quote them correctly."

Morris: "He could've phrased it better that's for sure."

King: "No, he could've got it right, mate."

Morris: "He could've done it better but Damien Hardwick is taking any chance he can get to divert from the game itself. That's what he does."

King: "No."

Montagna: "He was talking about cheap seats and all those sorts of things. I think it was a bit over the top from Damien Hardwick when they're talking about commentary about the game and commentary about the player. That's the commentator's job to commentate the game and players and those sorts of things. So to sort of have a potshot at Jonathan Brown was a bit unfair."

King: "He wasn't going to have a potshot at Jonathan Brown until he was told something that Browny said which was inaccurate. If you're going to repeat stuff, [turns to Morris] I mean you wouldn't do that."

Morris: "I'm not faultless as a journalist at all but it's important to get it right."

King: "If you're going to quote someone you generally quote them word for word. You can't say to Damien he [Brown] said to put him in the ruck."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1856 on: August 10, 2021, 10:33:51 PM »
Jonathan Brown on 360 tonight was pretty good about it all. Recognised the journo had misquoted him and threw the question  to Dimma in the heat of the press conference.

Brown said he knew from his own experience playing CHF & FF when you're struggling and the team is struggling that to impose yourself on the game you need to push up the ground to get to and influence more contests. Lynch only had 3 contests in the first half so he wasn't getting to enough contests to get the ball to ground even if that's his role.

Fox Footy then put up Lynch's stats comparing his output in the second half of 2019 to 2020-21:

Tom Lynch

Per 100 minutes          2nd half         2020-        Drop
                                  of 2019          2021                     

AFL player rating            10.8             6.4          -41%
Disposals                       12.1             9.7          -20%
Marks inside 50                3.3             2.4          -27%
Goals                              2.7             1.7           -37%
Score involvements          7.3             5.4           -26%

Source: AFL 360

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1857 on: August 11, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
 Brown's points are valid.

Dimma went over the top in defence mode.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1858 on: August 11, 2021, 10:28:12 AM »
Wheres the stat on how often he gets scragged or blatant frees he’s not given?

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1859 on: August 11, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Wheres the stat on how often he gets scragged or blatant frees he’s not given?
Did anybody mention Joe Diver-her today?     :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!