Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 411825 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tom Lynch [merged]
« Reply #2205 on: August 18, 2023, 07:16:49 AM »
Meehan should be ashamed of himself.

He should actually resign over that.

So nothing to do with the surgery or the surgeon then? You know having to do extra because the bone didn't heal the way the surgeon expected? Even after everyone doing exactly what the surgeon set out as recovery and rehab?

Whack Meehan for the things that fall under his watch but rehab programs set by surgeons and our medics is not one of them

So I suppose Daniel Rioli going back out the last 2 weeks when his ankle (that he injured in the game) was so banged up is Meehan's fault too?  :facepalm

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2206 on: September 02, 2023, 05:28:26 PM »
Soulcombe gets the job done for owners Tom Lynch & @JackRiewoldt08.

https://twitter.com/RacingVictoria/status/1697843962298724544

Lynch is still wearing a moonboot by the way.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2207 on: September 02, 2023, 05:43:08 PM »
Hugely unpopular opinion but I'd put Lynch up for trade. Simply put I don't see us winning a flag in the next 2 years and I'm not overly confident that he will play again let alone be the player he once was. Trade him to a Sydney to replace Bud or Dogs for a huge upgrade. Let other clubs in the premiership window roll the dice on his ability to get back to AFL instead of us trying to get him back and go from a bottom 6 side to be mid table.

Unpopular opinion I am sure but where our list is at I feel us paying his wage in our salary cap and sweating on his fitness wont bear any fruit within the timeframe he has left.

Get a decent pick for him and build from there and wish him all the best to get back to full fitness and continue his career elsewhere.
Go Tigers!

Online Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2208 on: September 02, 2023, 06:06:02 PM »
Hugely unpopular opinion but I'd put Lynch up for trade. Simply put I don't see us winning a flag in the next 2 years and I'm not overly confident that he will play again let alone be the player he once was. Trade him to a Sydney to replace Bud or Dogs for a huge upgrade. Let other clubs in the premiership window roll the dice on his ability to get back to AFL instead of us trying to get him back and go from a bottom 6 side to be mid table.

Unpopular opinion I am sure but where our list is at I feel us paying his wage in our salary cap and sweating on his fitness wont bear any fruit within the timeframe he has left.

Get a decent pick for him and build from there and wish him all the best to get back to full fitness and continue his career elsewhere.

Really!!!!
I seriously doubt any club would gamble any pick let alone a 1st or 2nd rounder for Tom if he was still under a very (possibly career ending) injury cloud.
I'd be seriously p'd of if we did it under those circumstances.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2209 on: September 02, 2023, 08:32:00 PM »

Really!!!!
I seriously doubt any club would gamble any pick let alone a 1st or 2nd rounder for Tom if he was still under a very (possibly career ending) injury cloud.

I'd be very confident in the grand finalists giving up pick 17 or 18 to get him

Melb offload Grundy and his salary and take on Lynch would be genius business. They don't need Grundy anyway not are using him. Dee's forwardline is a mess.

Collingwood don't have any decent KPF and are very similar to us in 2017. Lynch would compliment them massively.

This trade would be done in a heartbeat.
Go Tigers!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2210 on: September 02, 2023, 08:43:04 PM »

Really!!!!

Melb offload Grundy and his salary and take on Lynch would be genius business. They don't need Grundy anyway not are using him. Dee's forwardline is a mess.

Collingwood don't have any decent KPF and are very similar to us in 2017. Lynch would compliment them massively.

Like the alternate thinking but Grundy would be forward line at richmond as well which is what he doesn’t want so where is the idea on Grundy??

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2211 on: September 02, 2023, 09:00:39 PM »

Really!!!!

Like the alternate thinking but Grundy would be forward line at richmond as well which is what he doesn’t want so where is the idea on Grundy??

Grundy would either be 1st ruck or we would need to involve a 3rd club or just not take Grundy for Lynch.

They currently have picks 5, 15, 24 & 32 in the first two rounds which seems insane. Maybe we could trade Lynch for 24 + 32, then package up our picks 25 + 44 to send to GCS for pick 4 giving them a +400 point surplus for their academy kids.

Offload some of our cap too.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2212 on: September 02, 2023, 09:01:41 PM »

He won't be put up for trade and personally i wouldn't do it either

Yes we have holes in our list but I don't think it is a dire as some make it out to be

But hey that's just me

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2213 on: September 03, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »
Agreed.
We’d have never won the flag in 2017 with all the panic merchants on this forum.

Work to do but it’s not that bad.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2214 on: September 03, 2023, 10:50:44 AM »
Agreed.
We’d have never won the flag in 2017 with all the panic merchants on this forum.

Work to do but it’s not that bad.

So okay tell us when does our next flag arrive from? Not interested in a list that is just making finals and loses elimination finals. Keen to understand how it's not that bad starting with our captains, forwards and mids :shh

This list is not a north list sure I agree, but it's a middle of the road team that could finish 8th or 16th. Lynch goes down again next year we have kids filling the void.

In 2017 we had 4 elite players- jack, cotch, and 2 of the best of all time IMV rance and dusty. We have one now Bolton, and he is not consistent.

Btw I am strongly against trading lynch, but would be open to meatball and even hopper if he has  another average year like his last 2.

This list of grimes and co is finished, and now we need at least 2 elite mids and a KPP if we are to challenge. That's a 5 year process, especially if we don't get a top 10 in this draft. Not to mention we have to nail that selection, and not go for flanker types.

Hawks last finals was in 2019, next year is 2024. Perhaps the next flag for them is 2026/7. I think we are heading down the same long road.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:56:21 AM by Francois Jackson »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2215 on: September 03, 2023, 12:24:01 PM »
FJ makes a valid point. Like with 2013-16 from a coaching point of view we looked lost at sea and the frustration stemmed from how can we do so badly with a list that has Rance cotchin Martin and Riewoldt . But I think we all remained hopeful because our spine was absolutely solid.

We look now and on our key posts has massive question marks. Like yes Balta and gibcus have the potential but they’re not dead looks to be elite like Rance was. And lynch well injuries.

So even if we do get the best coaches and plan do we even have the cattle?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2216 on: September 03, 2023, 01:34:34 PM »
The reason we won a flag wasn’t due to those top 4 who play well every year. It was the improvement that we generated from our list in general with our bottom 6 becoming role players and our trades filling in specific list needs that were lacking.

Players like Lambert, Shedda, Astbury and Flossy all stepped up with Nank, Meatie and Caddy coming into the team making a huge difference.

The bottom end talent were given purpose so Georgie, Butler, Townsend and Dan Rioli all of a sudden had a focus and a role that was played to perfection.

I think list management is a focus of getting good players, developing them in their role and then executing to a winning game plan.

I agree with the 6-8 call on the list but would maintain there are kids who were drafted in the last 2 years who can really make a difference with natural improvement.

We are missing speed and a key forward to the current list.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2217 on: September 03, 2023, 01:54:14 PM »
IMHO we have a ready made replacement for Grimes in Brown. Brown is only 1cm shorter. I think we need to remember that Grimes over his career has rarely played as KP back. He plays tall, he plays short.

Yes Brown's only played 1 game he showed enough in the game to suggest that with the necessary experience he could be the long term replacement

Bank shows plenty and I for one is very bullish about his future

We saw a number of promising signs Ryan, Young, Coulthard, Miller, Trezise, Bauer, Clarke

Yes, some didn't come along as much as we (supporters) probably hoped Biggy, Hugo, Sonsie, Cumberland, . But with Sonsie and MJ I still think they will be good long term players

Of course there are still the ?? mark players  - Mansell, Dow

Then there is the kids we didn't see much of even at VFL level due to injury... Smith, Campbell,  Green

That's why I don't think it's all doom and gloom

A fit Lynch will make a massive difference. And I know I might be in the minority but I reckon he will be right for 2024

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2218 on: September 03, 2023, 08:48:31 PM »
Won't play again.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2219 on: September 03, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
You answered my point WP. Brown is on game 1. in 2 years he will be game 50 odd. Thats 2 years away from being a capable defender.

He is one player on that list, and we can only hope he replaces Grimes. If our next top 10 pick is next year those guys are 2/3 years away (2026/2027) from being capable mids and thats if we nail the selections.

everyone defines doom and gloom differently. Some are happy to finish 8-15th and do nothing. Im certainly not, but good luck to you if thats your thing.

Its 5-7 years min before we contest for a flag. There is a lot of pain to come unless we acquire elite quality mids like Cotch and Dusty. If we continue down this middle road without acquiring talent, i would say its closer to 10 years before we contest for a flag.

Lynch hasnt played in a year and is about to turn 31 and everyone is pinning their hopes on him? Gee wiz. We would be lucky he does anything again. Bauer looks good but again 3 years away from being that main guy.

Okay we may pick up a descent player via FA, but a generational talent? I dont think so. Must hit the draft
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.