Author Topic: VFL preseason games to be curtain-raisers to our first 3 AFL matches (RFC)  (Read 6662 times)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
6.3 to 1.1
Ball movement is good
All attacking

Jackstar keep and eye on Stengle

He is playing tomorrow not tonight
No 44 out there
Jack, how did Ryan Garthwaite go tonight?

Jackstar 1960

Ryan is no 42
Didn't star
Seems a bit awkward
Only young though

Jackstar 1960

Tigers VFL coach Craig McRae on today's win: "A lot of guys played above their level, which is exciting for AFL opportunities".

https://twitter.com/RichmondVFL/status/840128695612272640

They did the team things
Very good defensively
Very impressed with Bolton
Might be a find

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tigers VFL coach Craig McRae on today's win: "A lot of guys played above their level, which is exciting for AFL opportunities".

https://twitter.com/RichmondVFL/status/840128695612272640

Their level or VFL level, could mean two completely different things

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
Ryan is no 42
Didn't star
Seems a bit awkward
Only young though
Thanks mate

Ruanaidh

I know some would be surprised but I went along with a couple of Doggy mates and I must say something has changed down at Tigerland. This VFL side was nothing like the rabble I saw implode at Williamstown Oval a couple of years ago under Tim Clarke. They went in hard, tackled and harassed all night and combined that with brilliance from Bolton and Lennon. Short and Ellis were like backline and midfield generals with their positioning and strategic kicking whilst McIntosh was a class above wherever he roamed. Another who surprised was lambert who played the role of the in-and-under midfielder and dominated. I don't know who 80 (ruck) and 81 (small forward) were but they stood out as well. Ivvy also had a great game. Back to Bolton and Lennon: Ben needs to relax at the Afl level and play on instinct as he did tonight - he destroyed Williams who is no slouch. Bolton did a couple of things tonight that made the small crowd gasp, including Dog supporters. The muffled question in the crowd was: Who is that guy???. At one point he flew from an impossible position to spoil a tall backman, landed on his feet crumbed his own spoil and 'dished off' for a goal. He will bring bums to the seats. A side note: I watched Daniel Rioli on the sidelines and his bi-play with Stengle, Chol and Graham tells me that he is the glue that will keep this young group together. They also laughed and carried on when Bolton did something mercurial like take the Mark of the game in a forward pocket. Oh, did I mention Bolton's tackling? 4 in the first quarter! He had the doggies backmen rushing everytime he was in their vicinity ala Cyril Rioli....gee it was impressive.

One more thing, the playing group looked much bigger and stronger than the Dogs. Did we change our conditioning coach pre-season?

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
I know some would be surprised but I went along with a couple of Doggy mates and I must say something has changed down at Tigerland. This VFL side was nothing like the rabble I saw implode at Williamstown Oval a couple of years ago under Tim Clarke. They went in hard, tackled and harassed all night and combined that with brilliance from Bolton and Lennon. Short and Ellis were like backline and midfield generals with their positioning and strategic kicking whilst McIntosh was a class above wherever he roamed. Another who surprised was lambert who played the role of the in-and-under midfielder and dominated. I don't know who 80 (ruck) and 81 (small forward) were but they stood out as well. Ivvy also had a great game. Back to Bolton and Lennon: Ben needs to relax at the Afl level and play on instinct as he did tonight - he destroyed Williams who is no slouch. Bolton did a couple of things tonight that made the small crowd gasp, including Dog supporters. The muffled question in the crowd was: Who is that guy???. At one point he flew from an impossible position to spoil a tall backman, landed on his feet crumbed his own spoil and 'dished off' for a goal. He will bring bums to the seats. A side note: I watched Daniel Rioli on the sidelines and his bi-play with Stengle, Chol and Graham tells me that he is the glue that will keep this young group together. They also laughed and carried on when Bolton did something mercurial like take the Mark of the game in a forward pocket. Oh, did I mention Bolton's tackling? 4 in the first quarter! He had the doggies backmen rushing everytime he was in their vicinity ala Cyril Rioli....gee it was impressive.

One more thing, the playing group looked much bigger and stronger than the Dogs. Did we change our conditioning coach pre-season?

Nice. Thanks.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame

Thanks - this result is so good for the groups confidence and for some individuals  :clapping

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report lads.
It sounds like it was a good night for the footy club. If our senior side is to improve we need proformances like this to create competition for spots.
Really encouraging signs after a really decent preseason by the club. 

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Cheers for that. Some good things coming from Bolton it seems.

Was Lennon played differently than he has played at AFL? I've lost all but the tiniest bit of hope for the kid

Jackstar 1960

Lennon played his usual role
He did attack the ball a lot harder I reckon
Thus he hit the scoreboard
His work rate was very good , but he needs to do they same at AFL level
Think Lambert is in the same boat

Ruanaidh

No worries fellas, it was great to be able to legitimately say something positive about the club again. On the coaching: McRae has these blokes playing for him. I specifically  looked at the faces in the huddle and saw genuine intensity and concentration on the kids faces. Caracella (who I reckon will be the next senior coach) and Clarke provided line coaching at the breaks  and interchanges / bench instructions were seamless and deliberate. Everyone knew their role and there were plentiful instructions from AFL experienced players on the ground. It seemed surreal considering the mess we have become accustomed to over the last 7 years or more. Ok, it was only the ressies but I looked at the system on display and I liked what I saw.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
No worries fellas, it was great to be able to legitimately say something positive about the club again. On the coaching: McRae has these blokes playing for him. I specifically  looked at the faces in the huddle and saw genuine intensity and concentration on the kids faces. Caracella (who I reckon will be the next senior coach) and Clarke provided line coaching at the breaks  and interchanges / bench instructions seemed seemless and deliberate. Everyone knew their role and there were plentiful instructions from AFL experienced players on the ground. It seemed surreal considering the mess we have become accustomed to over the last 7 years or more. Ok, it was only the ressies but I looked at the system on display and I liked what I saw.
Nothing wrong with being positive mate. 👍
Looking forward to watching the seniors today. Let's hope they don't take the jam out of all our donuts.

Ruanaidh

Lennon played his usual role
He did attack the ball a lot harder I reckon
Thus he hit the scoreboard
His work rate was very good , but he needs to do they same at AFL level
Think Lambert is in the same boat
ditto.......I'd just add that with Lennon it's not laziness but confidence that is holding him back imo. He needs a good run in a dynamic forward line to show his wares. Maybe drop Griff and bring in the mosquitos and have Jack at CHF and Lennon as a leading FF ??? Also, Lambert surprised me with his midfield awareness, I haven't seen that before.

For the Cellis watchers take heart I couldn't split him and  Short for BOG at half time. The much touted 'vision and awareness in traffic'  was on full display.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
No worries fellas, it was great to be able to legitimately say something positive about the club again. On the coaching: McRae has these blokes playing for him. I specifically  looked at the faces in the huddle and saw genuine intensity and concentration on the kids faces. Caracella (who I reckon will be the next senior coach) and Clarke provided line coaching at the breaks  and interchanges / bench instructions were seamless and deliberate. Everyone knew their role and there were plentiful instructions from AFL experienced players on the ground. It seemed surreal considering the mess we have become accustomed to over the last 7 years or more. Ok, it was only the ressies but I looked at the system on display and I liked what I saw.
Mate, it's great that someone who has been quite critical of the club can also allow himself to see and post the positives.