Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 192531 times)

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond AFLW team 2020 [merged]
« Reply #345 on: August 25, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »
Have received an email from the Club today around the VFLW announcement

Most pleasing part of it was reading that Balmey (who is massive fan & support of women's footy) is more hands on going into the 2021 season AFLW   :clapping

Money to be saved by combining the AFLW and AFL GM roles?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #346 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:57 PM »

Most pleasing part of it was reading that Balmey (who is massive fan & support of women's footy) is more hands on going into the 2021 season AFLW   :clapping

He is no longer GM of Footy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #347 on: August 26, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
Why would anyone change Balmey’s role that has impacted the club so positively since he’s arrived? Didn’t Collingwood try this which then gave us the opportunity to get him in the first place?

I don’t get it, why it seems they are pushing him out whilst promoting others ahead of him.

If he takes over the woman’s program does that mean he has no influence at all with our AFL team?

I don’t even know what he does anymore. If another club offers him a GM of football role again he might jump ship as he’s done in the past.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: August 26, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Balmeys on the verge of retiring probably. I see this as a forerunner to Balmey eventually going onto the board and ending up in a Vice Presidential role where he can be around the club influencing but not have to be there all the time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »
Why would anyone change Balmey’s role that has impacted the club so positively since he’s arrived? Didn’t Collingwood try this which then gave us the opportunity to get him in the first place?

I don’t get it, why it seems they are pushing him out whilst promoting others ahead of him.

If he takes over the woman’s program does that mean he has no influence at all with our AFL team?

I don’t even know what he does anymore. If another club offers him a GM of football role again he might jump ship as he’s done in the past.

Balmey isn't going anywhere. He has said that in many interviews during this year. He creeping up on 70 and has said he at the RFC he feels he is home.

It was his recommendation to Benny that others be promoted and the footy department be slightly restructured.

He has not taken over the women's program. Just is more heavily involved at the moment because he is here in Melbourne. Which I would think is a good thing

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »

Yes that was half my point.  He could be and probably should be still

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »

Yes that was half my point.  He could be and probably should be still

His role change was pre COVID though
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:01:42 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2020, 11:54:13 PM »

Balmey isn't going anywhere. He has said that in many interviews during this year. He creeping up on 70 and has said he at the RFC he feels he is home.

It was his recommendation to Benny that others be promoted and the footy department be slightly restructured.

He has not taken over the women's program. Just is more heavily involved at the moment because he is here in Melbourne. Which I would think is a good thing

Caroline suggesting Neil would be a good get for another club..

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2020, 07:05:58 AM »

Don't think anyone would dispute that

But that doesn't mean he would leave

And if Caro was being honest she would have said that seeing he said during an interview on 3AW earlier this year which she was a part of he loves Richmond, feels like he's come home and his home and cannot see himself going anywhere else
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:46:33 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2020, 09:57:19 AM »

Don't think anyone wpuld dispute that

But that doesn't mean he would leave

And if Caro was being honest she would have said that seeing he said during an interview on 3AW earlier this year which she was a part of he loves Richmond, feels like he's come home and his home and cannot see himself going anywhere else

I heard that interview.
So it's interesting she would throw his name out there.
From what I believe Neil actually encouraged some of the changes in the FD.
I am sure BG had mentioned this..

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »

I heard that interview.

Yes he did

But SEN is running with it

KEY RICHMOND FIGURE ON RADAR OF OTHER CLUBS
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Richmond Senior Club Advisor Neil Balme is attracting interest from “other clubs” in the AFL, according to veteran journalist Caroline Wilson.

Wilson indicated on Channel 9’s Footy Classified last night that due to COVID-19, Balme’s role at the Tigers this year has seemingly diminished.

With Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley now taking more senior roles at the club, Balme’s position is now under question according to Wilson.

“He’s left the football department and Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley are now co-bosses of that football department, with Livingstone in the (Queensland) hub,” she said.

“I’ve been critical of some of the off-field issues that Richmond has faced and feel that Neil Balme there might have been the steadying hand that could have helped both Tom Livingstone and Damien Hardwick.

“The club won’t be sending Neil Balme up next week on September 1. Brendon Gale, the CEO, is going to return.

“I just find it interesting that some clubs are bolstering their footy staff and asking for special permission. Richmond are not.”

Wilson suggested that the embattled Adelaide Crows are interested in Balme, who has overseen a remarkable shift at Richmond, to work closely with rookie coach Matthew Nicks and inexperienced head of footy Adam Kelly.

“Because of COVID, Neil Balme now finds himself marginalised and I know that there at talks at other clubs where they just wonder whether he might go there,” she continued.

“The Adelaide Football Club is one where Neil Balme’s name has come up in dispatches.

“That’s the club I’m hearing about.

“Neil Balme has a job and a contract at Richmond next year. It won’t be inside footy to the degree that it was.

“He’s been Mr Fix-It at several football clubs with big, big results and I wonder whether (for) Matthew Nicks, he might be the perfect person.

“Not that Adam Kelly would leave but he’d be a great sounding board for both of those.”

AFL journalist Sam McClure spoke further about the subject on SEN SA Breakfast this morning.

“I think any club would welcome Balmey with open arms given his record,” he said.

“Particularly with Matthew Nicks. He doesn’t have a lot of support around him. I know that they’ve just brought in a new head of footy who is relatively inexperienced in AFL terms, but Balmey is the opposite, he’s just got experience coming out of his eyeballs.

“For some reason, and I can’t get to the bottom of it and Caro tried to explain it. He’s just been on the outer at Richmond this year as they try to bring up the younger guys of Livingstone and Hartley through their footy ops.

“If Adelaide and Andrew Fagan are looking for more support for their young coach, I think Neil Balme would be a great fit.”

Balme has already achieved great success in key roles at Geelong and Collingwood while overseeing two premierships in three years at Richmond.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/26/key-richmond-figure-on-radar-of-other-clubs/

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

I heard that interview.

Yes he did

But SEN is running with it

KEY RICHMOND FIGURE ON RADAR OF OTHER CLUBS
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Richmond Senior Club Advisor Neil Balme is attracting interest from “other clubs” in the AFL, according to veteran journalist Caroline Wilson.

Wilson indicated on Channel 9’s Footy Classified last night that due to COVID-19, Balme’s role at the Tigers this year has seemingly diminished.

With Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley now taking more senior roles at the club, Balme’s position is now under question according to Wilson.

“He’s left the football department and Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley are now co-bosses of that football department, with Livingstone in the (Queensland) hub,” she said.

“I’ve been critical of some of the off-field issues that Richmond has faced and feel that Neil Balme there might have been the steadying hand that could have helped both Tom Livingstone and Damien Hardwick.

“The club won’t be sending Neil Balme up next week on September 1. Brendon Gale, the CEO, is going to return.

“I just find it interesting that some clubs are bolstering their footy staff and asking for special permission. Richmond are not.”

Wilson suggested that the embattled Adelaide Crows are interested in Balme, who has overseen a remarkable shift at Richmond, to work closely with rookie coach Matthew Nicks and inexperienced head of footy Adam Kelly.

“Because of COVID, Neil Balme now finds himself marginalised and I know that there at talks at other clubs where they just wonder whether he might go there,” she continued.

“The Adelaide Football Club is one where Neil Balme’s name has come up in dispatches.

“That’s the club I’m hearing about.

“Neil Balme has a job and a contract at Richmond next year. It won’t be inside footy to the degree that it was.

“He’s been Mr Fix-It at several football clubs with big, big results and I wonder whether (for) Matthew Nicks, he might be the perfect person.

“Not that Adam Kelly would leave but he’d be a great sounding board for both of those.”

AFL journalist Sam McClure spoke further about the subject on SEN SA Breakfast this morning.

“I think any club would welcome Balmey with open arms given his record,” he said.

“Particularly with Matthew Nicks. He doesn’t have a lot of support around him. I know that they’ve just brought in a new head of footy who is relatively inexperienced in AFL terms, but Balmey is the opposite, he’s just got experience coming out of his eyeballs.

“For some reason, and I can’t get to the bottom of it and Caro tried to explain it. He’s just been on the outer at Richmond this year as they try to bring up the younger guys of Livingstone and Hartley through their footy ops.

“If Adelaide and Andrew Fagan are looking for more support for their young coach, I think Neil Balme would be a great fit.”

Balme has already achieved great success in key roles at Geelong and Collingwood while overseeing two premierships in three years at Richmond.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/26/key-richmond-figure-on-radar-of-other-clubs/

"Marginalised" what the hell is she implying here.
Strong word.
Honestly there is a transcript of an interview with Neil later 2019....on SEN
It tells a totally different story re: his feelings towards our club and his affection for it.
Caroline lead by that smug Sam MacClure are the he epitome of muck raking.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2020, 04:40:01 AM »
Do the Richmond Tigers really care about women's footy? I'm not so sure

Mary Konstantopoulos
theRoar.com.au
29 August 2020

Despite rumours circulating last week that Richmond had made this decision, it took until Monday for Richmond to release a brief statement making the announcement and then “reassuring” fans that Richmond will “focus [its] resources and energies on delivering a high-quality AFLW program in 2021 and beyond.”

But how are Richmond going to deliver this high-quality program without a VFL team?

Let’s be real. Richmond underperformed in the AFLW this year. There was widespread shock among fans when the team finished last in Conference A.

How will Richmond improve performance without a VFL team, especially when moves are being made by the AFL to align the VFL season with the AFLW season, partly to create a functioning pathway?

Richmond’s solution may be to partner with another VFL club for the season.

Perhaps change the word ‘partner’ with to ‘use’. What this says to me is that Richmond would prefer a community club do the work and pay for the work that they should be doing themselves.

It’s even more damning when you consider that in 2018, the VFL season was reduced to 12 teams after Diamond Creed, the Eastern Devils and St Kilda Sharks opted out of playing because the costs of competing in the competition were too high, largely because of the desire to “professionalise” the competition.

Costs became too high and AFLW teams like Richmond grabbed licenses and claimed that they had a deep commitment to women’s footy.

You know who had a deep commitment to women’s footy – those clubs that created a sense of community around women’s football. And this was all destroyed in one foul sweep. These clubs ran on a community with many women running trivia nights and sausage sizzles just to keep the clubs alive.

Good to know that Richmond is willing to take advantage of this work while boasting about its 100,000 members.

Speaking of those members, what about the members of its women’s team? Where is the money these members have contributed going? Because it doesn’t seem to be going to women’s footy. Interestingly, Richmond also have one of the most expensive AFLW memberships going around.

Don’t get me wrong. The impacts of COVID-19 have been felt by every single sport. We have seen people lose their jobs, their livelihoods, programs cut and tough decisions made about sport.

But it makes my blood boil that Richmond would use this pandemic as an excuse to make such a fundamental cut to its football department.

Richmond is known as one of the richer AFL clubs. In fact, the club posted a tweet this week celebrating its 100,000 members.

The club had no problem flying Tom Lynch into the Gold Coast so he could be in the hub prior to curfew.

I wonder what costs more? The investment made into the AFL hub or the cost of a team competing in the VFL?

If I were a member, I know how I would prefer my money to be spent.

It also baffles me that Richmond have made this decision now. Given global uncertainty, we have no idea what the world will look like and whether footy will even take place next year. No other club has signalled an intention to cut their VFL team, which speaks volumes, given that some of the other AFL clubs are not in as a financially strong position as Richmond.

Make no mistake – this is a cut to the football department and it makes a clear statement. Women’s footy is expendable and men’s football is not.

Richmond cried the loudest when they were unable to participate in the inaugural AFLW season. We have a huge fan-base, they said. We are invested in women’s footy, they said.

This decision is an absolute slap in the face to every single person who has supported women’s footy, paid money to support women’s footy and believed that Richmond backed it too.

But mostly, I feel for the players, who once again have to stand behind their male counterparts waiting to be seen, heard and given the proper opportunities to thrive in women’s football.

The AFL are bold enough to claim that they have led the revolution in women’s sport, but when clubs behave as Richmond has in this circumstance, how true is that bold, bold claim?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/28/do-the-richmond-tigers-really-care-about-womens-footy-im-not-so-sure/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
Sta arxidia mou with your opinion Mary. No one gives a poo about your opinion.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2020, 06:57:37 AM »
Sta arxidia mou with your opinion Mary. No one gives a poo about your opinion.

Think there a few who do Ramps and either agree in part or in full

Actually reckon it is a good opinion piece.

There are parts I do agree with and parts I don't but that's the great thing about opinions we are all allowed to have them  :thumbsup