Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 192531 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #975 on: February 12, 2022, 12:07:54 AM »
Have tried a few times to watch this crap but at the end of the day its crap.

Yep
It’s absolute rubbish and they are diluting it even more with more teams … will be years before the product is close to watchable

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #976 on: February 16, 2022, 09:03:29 AM »
Here's my list analysis

Elite; Conti, Brennan

Above average; McKenzie, Seymour, Miller, Cordner

Foot Soldiers; Lavey, J Hosking, S Hosking, Wakefield, Darcy

Potential; Yassir

Not up to it; the other 20 or so in the squad

And the side

FF;     XXX     Wakefield   
HF;     XXX     Brennan      XXX
C        XXX     McKenzie     XXX
HB      Lavey   Cordner      Darcy
B        J Hosking    Miller

Mids   Seymour     Conti  S Hosking

IC      Yassir     XXXXX     XXXXX     XXXX

Backs and Mids have no depth and forwards are well short

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #977 on: February 16, 2022, 12:36:01 PM »

I'd have Lavey as above average.  If she dedicated herself to footy she could be elite. 

I'd also have Ross and Dempsey at foot solider level.

The rest I agree are not AFLW standard

Worst still all of Molan, Burchell, Jacques, Dargan, Stahl, McLaren, Makur-Chuot & McDonald are barely VFLW standard and shouldn't be on the list still.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »
Round 9 Fixture has been released.

-----------------------

Richmond will take on Greater Western Sydney at Giants Stadium on Saturday, March 5 in Round 9 of the 2022 AFLW season.

The AFL confirmed the Round 9 fixture on Monday afternoon, with the Tigers set to embark on their third interstate trip of the season to face the Giants.

The clash at Giants Stadium, GWS' first home game there of the season, and the first time the two sides have met since Round 5, 2020, will kick off at 5.10pm.

Further broadcast and ticketing information will be communicated closer to the match.

Saturday, March 5
GWS v Richmond at Giants Stadium, 5.10pm AEDT

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1064228/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dead-eye of the Tigers: The stat driving Richmond's resurgence (AFLW)
« Reply #979 on: February 23, 2022, 03:13:46 PM »
Dead-eye of the Tigers: The stat driving Richmond's resurgence

Gemma Bastiani
womens.afl
23 February 2022

RICHMOND'S improvement may not be reflected in its wins and losses to date this season, sitting ninth on the ladder with two wins, but the side's efficiency in attack is close to the best the AFLW has seen.

The Tigers came out of the blocks in round one and recorded not only the highest score in the club's history, but also the most accurate, kicking 10.1 (61) at 83.3 per cent goal accuracy. They have since broken that high score again, kicking 10.8 (68) against West Coast in round seven.

While such high numbers haven't been sustained consistently throughout the season, Richmond has led the competition this year for efficiency once inside 50. In 2022, the club is averaging a shot on goal from 45.4 per cent of its forward entries, and scoring a major from from 51.9 per cent of those shots, according to stats provided by Champion Data.

Only twice in AFLW history has a team averaged more than 50 per cent accuracy in front of goal across the length of a season – North Melbourne in 2020 and Carlton in 2017 – and Richmond is three home and away matches away from joining that exclusive club.

Step one: more opportunities

This improvement in attack for Richmond has developed in two distinct phases. After a winless inaugural season in the competition, the Tigers got to work on phase one: creating more realistic opportunities at goal in 2021. This saw them average 7.6 more inside 50s in 2021 than in the previous season, and 62.8 per cent of their points in 2021 came from within 30m of goal. By creating better opportunities to score, the Tigers nearly doubled their average score last year.

AVG POINTS FOR       % POINTS SCORED <30M OF GOAL     AVG INSIDE 50s     AVG GOAL ACCURACY

2020          19.2                                       44.2%                                  20.5                      25.0%

2021          34.7                                       62.8%                                  28.1                      38.6%

2022          39.9                                       55.5%                                  24.9                      51.9%

In 2021 they used run in attack to generate 23.1 per cent of their goals – think kicking on the run or playing on from a mark – and while that speed proved fruitful, they were only goaling 38.6 per cent of the time.

Step two: make more of those opportunities

Phase two has come this year: turning up the efficiency on those increased opportunities. This has been done in two ways – improved accuracy from more scoring shots.

While they are registering fewer inside 50s than last year, the Tigers are averaging a club best 10.6 scoring shots each game and kicking a goal 23.6 per cent of the time they go inside 50 – the fifth-highest goal efficiency the competition has seen in any season, assisted by the aforementioned goal accuracy of 51.9 per cent.

This has been driven by their leading goalkickers' methodical approach. Katie Brennan has kicked 11 goals at 55 per cent accuracy, Tayla Stahl five goals at 71.4 per cent, Christina Bernardi four goals at 44.4 per cent and Tessa Lavey three goals at 100 per cent.

Put simply, once inside 50 Richmond is the most dangerous team in the competition as it stands.

A step back

Since 2020, Richmond has steadily worked to force more turnovers up the field in order to launch attack. In its 22 games, the club has kicked 99 goals in its three years and just two of those have originated from a kick-in. The Tigers aren't a coast-to-coast side; they work hard defensively through the middle of the ground to win the ball and transition forward. This year 61 per cent of Richmond's goals have come from turnover, an increase on 59.1 per cent in 2021 and 57.1 per cent in 2020.

% OF GOALS FROM TURNOVER      % OF GOALS FROM STOPPAGE

2020                     57.1%                                     35.7%

2021                     59.1%                                     38.6%

2022                     61.0%                                     39.0%

The remainder of Richmond's goals this year have come from stoppages, which has also seen 22 per cent of goals come from snap shots.

As Richmond looks to end the season strongly, the only concern about their attacking game is the reliance on captain Katie Brennan. Brennan has kicked 26.8 per cent of the side's goals this year and has kicked at least one in each of her last 13 games, the AFLW record.

What alleviates this concern, however, is their spread of individual goalkickers. The Tigers are averaging 4.4 goalkickers per game, well up on their 3.2 of last year, to lead the competition so far this season.

Despite what could have been some season-shaping injuries from the Tigers, they have worked through those difficulties and combated player absence with pure efficiency from the greater opportunities they've created.

https://www.womens.afl/news/86946/dead-eye-of-the-tigers-the-stat-driving-richmond-s-resurgence

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #980 on: February 23, 2022, 07:22:05 PM »
Here's my list analysis

Elite; Conti, Brennan

Potential; Yassir

And the side

Great analysis Chucky.

Might as well put McKenzie in the elite bracket. If she had played from the start of the season she’d already be there anyway it’s only a matter of weeks before she is.
I think you’ve missed Dempsey and Kiely as foot soldiers and I’d sneak in Lynch as a potential because when she does get the ball she looks pretty good and as we’ve seen with Yassir she also had glimpses of something.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #981 on: February 23, 2022, 08:15:12 PM »
I feel for Sophie Molan. She reminds me of Reece conca in the sense that it’s not her fault that Richmond used their 1st round on her. But with the high pick comes expectation and she just doesn’t have the skill set to be a McKenzie or Conti.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #982 on: February 23, 2022, 10:18:40 PM »
I feel for Sophie Molan. She reminds me of Reece conca in the sense that it’s not her fault that Richmond used their 1st round on her. But with the high pick comes expectation and she just doesn’t have the skill set to be a McKenzie or Conti.
After 2 games our VFL affiliate  :rollin sit second last with a percentage of 37% and Sophie Molan currently stands alone as the only player in the top 6 possession getters in each game. So at the least she can play at that level but unfortunately the cupboard is pretty much barren. With Sophie you could say we didn’t have much clue when recruiting girls in a woman’s league but to say that now when we’ve been doing this a few years is another story. That’s why Stella Reid is more disappointing a selection at pick 5 last draft.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #983 on: February 23, 2022, 11:09:00 PM »
True that. Definitely was hoping more from Reid. But she was highly rated at the chargers right? Is the gulf to AFLW to great? Psychological?

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #984 on: February 24, 2022, 12:28:15 AM »
After 2 games our VFL affiliate  :rollin sit second last with a percentage of 37% and Sophie Molan currently stands alone as the only player in the top 6 possession getters in each game. So at the least she can play at that level but unfortunately the cupboard is pretty much barren. With Sophie you could say we didn’t have much clue when recruiting girls in a woman’s league but to say that now when we’ve been doing this a few years is another story. That’s why Stella Reid is more disappointing a selection at pick 5 last draft.

Unfortunately Reid just doesn't have the athletic ability and composure to compete at senior level.  She may develop into key position size down the track but right now her lack of pace and agility is a massive concern.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #985 on: February 24, 2022, 08:57:15 AM »

Part of the issue with Sophie Molan is we allowed Carlton to take Grace Egan from our VFLW program rather than using that pick to keep Grace Egan.

Grace Egan is a very solid (good) AFLW player and TBBH better than Sophie and a number of others on our list

True that. Definitely was hoping more from Reid. But she was highly rated at the chargers right? Is the gulf to AFLW to great? Psychological?

The gap is massive but when you have your players running around in a team outside your system  then it is going to impact on development

Port Melbourne's results are no surprise to me. They lost last year's coach (he got an AFLw assistants role I believe), appointed a new one. He quit a week after being appointed and then the bloke who's got the job now wax appointed. Not great I would suggest

I saw Tigeritis' post the other day about us not having a VFLW side and questioning why when other Clubs do. Couldn't agree more. While I get there is a cap the way Kate Sheahan spins it we are one of the highest spenders in the AFLW so what are we spending our cap on? A VFLW side is a must.

We saw it in the AFL, the improvement in development when we got our own VFL side.

Our women are being Short changed in a huge way IMHO

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #986 on: February 24, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »
Here's my list analysis

Elite; Conti, Brennan

Potential; Yassir

And the side

Great analysis Chucky.

Might as well put McKenzie in the elite bracket. If she had played from the start of the season she’d already be there anyway it’s only a matter of weeks before she is.
I think you’ve missed Dempsey and Kiely as foot soldiers and I’d sneak in Lynch as a potential because when she does get the ball she looks pretty good and as we’ve seen with Yassir she also had glimpses of something.

Yep Ellie has the potential to be the best player in the AFLW, just needs to run out games which was an issue last year and obviously this year with her injury.

Your point is valid on the other 3.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #987 on: February 24, 2022, 01:40:41 PM »
Richmond will round out its 2022 home and away season against Collingwood on Saturday, March 12 at Victoria Park.

Saturday, March 12

Collingwood vs. Richmond

Victoria Park (VIC) (Seven)

Start time: 3:10pm

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1065721/tigers-to-face-pies-in-round-10

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #988 on: March 24, 2022, 11:41:33 PM »
2022 AFLW Season Review: Richmond Tigers

Alex Catalano
theinnersanctum.com.au
24/03/2022

A season marred by injury never quite saw the Tigers reach their pre-season potential. But with another year under coach Ryan Ferguson came an improvement in nearly all areas of their gameplan.

Finishing position: 11th (Three wins, seven losses)

Richmond was looking ahead to a big year, with many pundits tipping the club to be knocking on the door of finals for the first time.

The off-season additions of Jess Hosking, Poppy Kelly, and Maddie Shevlin looked to add more depth to a line up that needed more talent across the lines.

But early season injuries dampened Richmond’s spirits, and despite some strong performances, it couldn’t escape the bottom four.

What worked?

From their first game against the Saints, the Tigers showed off a high scoring, free flowing gamestyle, which resulted in some of the most entertaining footy of 2022.

When it worked, Ferguson’s midfield was unbeatable.

It showed on the scoreboard, with Richmond putting up totals of 61, 47, 68, and 46 at various stages of the year.

The Tigers finished the year with the second highest points for of any non finals side. This dynamic ball movement started from the middle with Gabby Seymour‘s tap and follow up work, Monique Conti‘s elite skills, and Tessa Lavey‘s gut running.

This gave the Tigers a strong offensive presence, with captain Katie Brennan finishing fourth in the overall goalkicking with 14 majors. Christina Bernadi and Tayla Stahl both kicked five.

What didn’t?

While this very open style of play led to a high scoring side, it also led to the Tigers getting high totals put up against them.

Richmond gave up the third highest points against in the competition, behind just Gold Coast and West Coast.

With Harriet Cordner marshalling down back, life was a bit easier. But after she went down with an ACL injury in the loss to Fremantle, the floodgates opened, with the Tigers giving up 77 points.

After injuries also affected the forward line, Sarah D’Arcy had to be swung to the opposite 50, leaving the defensive unit more and more vulnerable. Even in wins, the Tigers gave up 45 points to the Eagles.

Similarly, when Richmond was suffocated by pressure heavy sides like Gold Coast and Geelong, it couldn’t keep up. Limiting that ball movement seemed an easy way to prevent the Tigers from striking.

Who impressed?

Juggling basketball and Aussie rules at the highest level, Tessa Lavey performed excellently throughout both seasons.

The dashing winger missed three games, but was one of the best Tigers in nearly every game she played.

Lavey added a scoreboard presence to her game in 2022, kicking four goals across the season, including a strong two major showing against Melbourne.

With the depleted backline group, Rebecca Miller came into her own as the year went on.

The 185cm full back was not only beating her direct opponent in the second half of the season, but also finding more of the footy. This included 19 and 15 disposal games against North Melbourne and Collingwood, while taking seven marks against the Giants.

Superstars Monique Conti and Katie Brennan were always at their best, with both likely club best and fairest candidates.

Highs and lows

The Highs

The Round 1 win against St Kilda had many bullish on the Tigers’ finals chances. After putting up a strong fight against Melbourne the week after, they looked on the up.

And while they never quite reached these heights again, it was some of the best footy they’d played under Ferguson.

There was no moment more feel-good however than tall utility Akec Makur Chuot‘s first goal after 20 games.

The first woman of African descent to be drafted in the AFLW, her journey has been well documented. She was delisted by Fremantle after just a year, before sticking it out and being given a second chance by Richmond.

She had previously been used as an intercept defender, but lined up in the forward line in the second half of the year.

Having grown up in Western Australia, she was able to kick her first goal in front of her family against West Coast, in what could only be described as a beautiful scene.

The Lows

Richmond’s injury woes started before the first ball of the season was even bounced.

2020 pick one Ellie McKenzie was ruled out for the early part of the season with what was described as a ‘unique’ calf injury. She had grown extra muscle in the area which required surgery.

Iilish Ross suffered a stress fracture to her leg, placing her on the inactive list for the remainder of the season. Already having suffered an injury-stricken career, it was another blow to her at just 22-years-old.

This was compounded by injuries to Courtney Wakefield, who spent the middle part of the year with her arm in a sling, Poppy Kelly, Christina Bernardi, and Harriet Cordner.

Hannah Burchell and Laura McClelland then both went down in the same match, with Burchell confirmed to have also ruptured her ACL.

Who’s on the move?

Richmond has not yet confirmed any retirements or delistings, nor have any reports come through of players attracting outside interest.

After signing as a replacement player before the start of the season, Beth Lynch should likely keep a spot down in the backline after playing all 10 games.

The Tigers may not need to make many changes to their list at all, with Harriet Cordner and Hannah Burchell set to join the inactive list as they recover from ACL injuries.

Where to next?

After a few seasons of steady improvement, Ferguson looks to be the man to lead the Tigers forward for the future.

With a strong draft last year, Richmond will look to focus on retaining as many of its core group as possible amidst the upcoming expansion.

The Tigers don’t have too many players connected elsewhere. Emelia Yassir came through the Calder Cannons pathway and did feature in Essendon’s VFLW team, so may be one to watch.

The August start on the horizon, however, means the numerous ACLs and long term injuries will hurt the Tigers even more in the short term.

Without Cordner, they’ll have to quickly look to restructure their backline, and improve it before 2022 version two rolls around.

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/2022-aflw-season-review-richmond-tigers/

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #989 on: March 25, 2022, 12:39:00 PM »
Hopeless at drafting players with athletic ability. Its an indictment of those running that part of AFLW at Richmond.