Author Topic: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree  (Read 7117 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »
Thought Miller jumped at Rance and Hislop was a Wallace/Cameron selection, along with Thomson???

tony_montana

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
This isn't knocking FJ specifically, but how on earth was Rance rated higher across the board (talking all clubs) than Pears? Pears plays tall, is quicker off the mark, better closing speed and better skills. Sometimes find it head shakingly amusing at how the industry rate certain types.

Selwood isn't much chop imo so no loss there, a lot of people rave on about Ward, but his footskills arent any good and in a poor side like ours would be exposed, whereas at the doggies he's sheltered.

The only thing that has really irked me with our drafting was not taking more kids in 2007 and 2008. No recruiter gets it all right so lets be realistic, but that is the very reason why rebuilding clubs should be taking more kids - to give themselves a better chance of finding keepers.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »
Thought Miller jumped at Rance and Hislop was a Wallace/Cameron selection, along with Thomson???
Miller had nothing to do with recruiting by 2007, Francis was full time head of recruitment after the 2005 draft and Miller was on the way out of the club entirely
I think the last remaining involvement Miller had in recruiting was the 2006 draft as he wanted Renouf, but Jackson had final say and took Riewoldt so even back then Miller's involvement was reduced.

Jackson rated Hislop very highly as a junior back in 2006 so he would have had some say in his taking in the draft

gerkin greg

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »
Miller had nothing to do with recruiting by 2007, Francis was full time head of recruitment after the 2005 draft and Miller was on the way out of the club entirely
I think the last remaining involvement Miller had in recruiting was the 2006 draft as he wanted Renouf, but Jackson had final say and took Riewoldt so even back then Miller's involvement was reduced.

Jackson rated Hislop very highly as a junior back in 2006 so he would have had some say in his taking in the draft

Ah. Maybe I just remember Miller doing some circle jerking after we got Rance and was sure Hislop was Cameron padding the list for Wallace.

Agree with Tony Montana, the disgrace is how little the club has taken from the draft.

the claw

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
oh deary me lets coveniently forget 2005.

jon  at 8
hughes at 24
casserley at 40 all gone.
 and i know the defenders of all things richmond will say he was only part time. apparently so was greg miller when it came to recruiting.

how about 06
 white -  psd or i suppose the recruiting officer has no say in psd picks as well. what an ordinary player.

polak - pick 42 and down grade. oh thats right cant include him hes a trade and francis doesnt go near them or have any say in them lol. ironically pick 42 was used on houli.

riewoldt - credit where its due a solid  choice but our desperate need of talls actually bought this choice down to two picks. jack or sellar. not jacksons domain but how ironic they both rated jack and thought he would be gone by pick 13 having traded out of pick 8.

edwards - pick 26 a valuable pick that imo has not been used well.

connors - pick 58 jury is out for me his disposal and brain fades may see him fail. had a passable  second half to this yr. it is yet to be seen if he can continue and actually become consistent. for where he was taken a decent pick. i consider him more of a core list footballer than being anything special

peterson - pick 60 worth the punt at this pick you do expect a high fail rate with later picks.

collins - pick 73 shows plenty of potential should become a solid afl player still has not  established himself yet and after 4yrs cannot afford any slip ups.
i would have to give them a pass for this draft

now to 07
 idiot kicksley - pre season yeah i know he has nothing to do with trades.

graham - rookie well he met a need and worth a punt but hes a very ordinary footballer.
king - rookie should never have been looked at yeah he played some okay footy at 26 in the second half of the yr. very limited footballer.

cotchin - hooray at least they took the obvious one. blind freddy would have taken him. sheesh even the eagles desperately tried to find a way to get him.

rance - pick 18 geez we stuffed up this pick what was the criteria they used again.

putt - pick 51 gonski im led to believe we took him here because another club was apparently interested. great process hey.

mcmahon - lol pick 19 wacko jacko had no say apparently.

morton - pick 35 cant give any credit here he knows nothing about trades. for what its worth i felt we payed overs for him still do.

sheesh take cotchin out and its terrible.

im loath to make any judgement on 08 and 09 just to early to call. in 08 vickery and post were taken, both talls and patience and time is the key word here before judgment can be made.
one we did take in 08 was hislop i have to ask do the defenders of him think he had any input at all in us getting him after all hes a mature recruit and fj would have nothing to do with those.

seems to me his performance is very debateable but of more concern is the list management which is rightly pointed out not jacksons domain though i think he would have some sort of input into this area.especially when we have had such a limited footy dept.
no the one who has to be questioned in that area  is cameron.  

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
I think i have said this before but i will say it again!
Most of the picks we have taken high would have been taken high by another club if we didn't take them first. It is our failure to develop players as opposed to identifying talent that has been the failure. Btw Claw, i think most people would give Edwards at pick 26 as a success, he has improved each year!

the claw

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I think i have said this before but i will say it again!
Most of the picks we have taken high would have been taken high by another club if we didn't take them first. It is our failure to develop players as opposed to identifying talent that has been the failure. Btw Claw, i think most people would give Edwards at pick 26 as a success, he has improved each year!
without getting into a debate all i have to say is your entitled to your opinion and you may be right. imo at the start of the yr he was very close to delisting /trade.  has improved in certain areas which in turn has aided issues like disposal and decision making.
 ive seen this many times with our players to me hes a leopard with spots and its my opinion in the long term leopards do not change their spots. im more than happy to be proven wrong.
anyway to me he will be at best perhaps a solid hopefully consistent  mid,  with 26 i want just a little more than that it may happen but i doubt it.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »
Claw, the 06 PSD is in Dec 2005, 07 PSD is in Dec 2006, etc so you have your dates mixed up for starters
Francis had only just joined the club prior to the 2005 draft and even then was only part time

2006 was a brilliant draft for us, you begrudgingly give credit for Riewoldt but try to make excuses for him and write off Edwards who is coming along very nicely.

Francis is our head recruiter, not our list manager so don't blame him for the trades. The only recycled player he's taken is Hislop in the draft and even then we don't know what instructions he was given by Wallace to top up.

How about you review your beloved West Coast's drafting history over 2005-2008, or Hawthorn for that matter, pretty sure you rate Pelchen highly.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest he wanted us trading Pick 19, but I can see how I wrote it may have come across that way.
Scott Selwood & Rance were the ones he wanted with Pick 17 & 19, but he was doubtful that either or both would slip that far to us
Turned out both did so he would have been absolutely gutted that Pick 19 was traded

:thumbsup

Thanks for clearing that up and yep FJ was gutted that pick 19 was traded away
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:30 PM »
 outside cotchin. There is the 21 yo Coleman winner.

gourdis and rance developing tall backs need time.

king, Collins, Connors good use of late picks

graham an White are servicable
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 12:20:47 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

gerkin greg

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
no the one who has to be questioned in that area  is cameron.

agree, cameron worries me more than anyone at RFC

and his haircut doesn't do him any favours