Author Topic: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree  (Read 7166 times)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Whats our recruiting staff pedigree
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
I looked up the richmond site and checked out who our recruiters are.  What is their pedigree, does anybody know?  How long have they been with us and what have been their wins/loses as far as player selections have gone? Anybody know?

Because as much as we b*tch and moan about specific players and coaches its the recruiters who will make the biggest difference in the long term.  The recruiters of the time didn't do well for Wallace (though I honestly don't think did really badly, just moderately bad) and its the recruiters who will make or break Hardwick too.

Forward Scout - Gordon Casey
Recruitment Manager - Francis Jackson
Recruiting Officer - Matthew Clarke
Recruiting Officer - Richard Taylor

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Whats our recruiting staff pedigree
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
Francis Jackson is a former Richmond and South Melbourne/Sydney player. Played 106 games b/w 1973-83. One of the three players we traded away to South for John Pitura. He met Greg Miller at the Swans and then when Miller came to Richmond Jackson was employed in a part-time role in 2005 and then full-time from 2006 onwards.

Gordon Casey came over to Richmond with Terry from the Bulldogs. I didn't think he was involved in recruiting.

Clarke and Taylor have just be employed in full-time recruiting roles.

Basically we had two few people on the ground and relied on video highlights which the AFL gives all clubs rather than numerous live reports of junior players. Denham on KB's show during the week claimed we didn't even see JON play live before we drafted him. We just took recommendations of others who had seen him play and video highlights  :o. No wonder our recruiting has sucked.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
Francis Jackson is a former Richmond and South Melbourne/Sydney player. Played 106 games b/w 1973-83. One of the three players we traded away to South for John Pitura. He met Greg Miller at the Swans and then when Miller came to Richmond Jackson was employed in a part-time role in 2005 and then full-time from 2006 onwards.

Gordon Casey came over to Richmond with Terry from the Bulldogs. I didn't think he was involved in recruiting.

Basically we had two few people on the ground and relied on video highlights which the AFL gives all clubs rather than numerous live reports of junior players. Denham on KB's show during the week claimed we didn't even see JON play live before we drafted him. We just took recommendations of others who had seen him play and video highlights  :o. No wonder our recruiting has sucked.

JON was good at mowing lawns wasnt he? Terrific recruiting right there. I wanted us to draft Clark or Hurn. Hurns kicking of half back just sensational.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »
JON was good at mowing lawns wasnt he? Terrific recruiting right there. I wanted us to draft Clark or Hurn. Hurns kicking of half back just sensational.
I still can't believe we overlooked Clark when we needed talls. Miller didn't rate Clark a top 10 pick. He had him on par with Cleve in terms of KPPs :P.

A pretty strong first round in 2005 as well. Not too many flops below apart from JON, Pfeiffer and perhaps Drum. Bailey crueled by 3 ACLs.

1 Marc Murphy - Carlton
2 Dale Thomas - Collingwood
3 Xavier Ellis - Hawthorn
4 Josh Kennedy - Carlton
5 Scott Pendlebury - Collingwood
6 Beau Dowler - Hawthorn
7 Patrick Ryder - Essendon
8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls - Richmond
9 Mitchell Clark - Brisbane
10 Marcus Drum - Fremantle
11 Shaun Higgins - Western Bulldogs
12 Nathan Jones - Melbourne
13 Shannon Hurn - West Coast
14 Grant Birchall - Hawthorn
15 Travis Varcoe - Geelong
16 Richard Douglas - Adelaide
17 Darren Pfeiffer - Adelaide
18 Max Bailey - Hawthorn
19 Courtenay Dempsey - Essendon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_AFL_Draft

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
Higgins=Gun

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »
At my time at Metro I have never met any Richmond personal.

I don't claim to be anyone important, but Collingwood personal flood our boundry lines during games and annoy the poo out of us with questions and updates. Would love to just once see a RFC tracksuit and laptop.

I can't understand why it would hurt to employ 10 people to scout the states of junior footballers and pay them. It'd be almost a dream of mie to travel Australia finding talent for Richmond, I'd do it for chicken feed.
Go Tigers!

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:04:49 PM »

So we've had too few people in the recruiting dept.  We now have 3, is that enough?  How many do collingwood have?  I would think it is the next two or three years that will determine what Hardwick can do with the list.  Given we have a new coach I would have thought the recruiting spend would be a priority in his first few years.

Addendum I checked the collingwood site and it says

Derek Hine    National Recruiting Manager
Noel Judkins    Head Scout
Neil Ross    WA Recruiting Manager

But is a head scout a recruiter?  They have an opposition analyst, so I wouldn't have thought Noel Judkins is involved in spying on other teams, but maybe thats what he does and they only have 2.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:23:56 PM by tdyen »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
At my time at Metro I have never met any Richmond personal.

I don't claim to be anyone important, but Collingwood personal flood our boundry lines during games and annoy the poo out of us with questions and updates. Would love to just once see a RFC tracksuit and laptop.

I can't understand why it would hurt to employ 10 people to scout the states of junior footballers and pay them. It'd be almost a dream of mie to travel Australia finding talent for Richmond, I'd do it for chicken feed.

is that EFL by any chance pope ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »

Can tell you pope they rarely if ever rock up in a RFC tracksuit  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
Jackson and his mates should be shown the door ASAP possibly before any of the players.

how he calls himself a recruiter is beyond me and thats being nice.
In fact you could argue we have fared worse than the dockers in jackson's time.

Since Jackson came to the club he has done not one thing right and i cant believe he still has a job to be honest. :banghead

Hardwick bring your own team in mate and stuff these losers off please

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
So we've had too few people in the recruiting dept.  We now have 3, is that enough?  How many do collingwood have?  I would think it is the next two or three years that will determine what Hardwick can do with the list.  Given we have a new coach I would have thought the recruiting spend would be a priority in his first few years.

Addendum I checked the collingwood site and it says

Derek Hine    National Recruiting Manager
Noel Judkins    Head Scout
Neil Ross    WA Recruiting Manager

But is a head scout a recruiter?  They have an opposition analyst, so I wouldn't have thought Noel Judkins is involved in spying on other teams, but maybe thats what he does and they only have 2.
What network do they have around Australia? How many people do they have on the ground who report back to the main recruiters? How many attend each U18 game in each state? I know at Hawthorn they've had 3-4 people positioned around the ground at U18 matches making individual reports which are then correlated by the recruiting dept.

No just the recruiters' networks either. Hardwick knows Denis Pagan who is coaching the Northern Knights. Would Pagan provide Damien with inside info on Knights' players who may be good smokeys?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »

Since Jackson came to the club he has done not one thing right and i cant believe he still has a job to be honest. :banghead

So based on the above you are saying that

Vickery
Cotchin
Rance
Nahas

plus the rookies in BrownE and Gilligan

are all dud draft choices?

Remember that he is not responsible for trades 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
IMHO Francis Jacksons record is average. Richmond need to go out and get people who seem to get it more right than wrong. Derek Hine at Collingwood should have been targetted by now. Anyway we are just peeing into the wind on these forums so what we say makes no difference at all.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »

So based on the above you are saying that

Vickery
Cotchin
Rance
Nahas

plus the rookies in BrownE and Gilligan

are all dud draft choices?

Remember that he is not responsible for trades 

Vickery-good
Collins will be a star
Nahas-good find.

Cotchin was a no brainer please dont use that chestnut. My 90 year old Nonna would have selected him with pick 2. Ditto Vickery.

Browne. please your joking right. you call that a great find. How many games could he manage to play this year. 1 was it??

the rest of those names too early to call

While other clubs were finding your Brad Sewell, Tayte Pears, Eddie Betts of this world, these idiots were finding the likes of JON, Putt and Kingsley's etc etc please dont say he never had a say in recruiting Kingsley. He is the head recruiter so along with the coach should be held responsible.

some of the names that jackson has found.
Collard
Cam Howatt
Putt
Cartledge
Kingsley
JON
Jake King
Peterson

what a star studded this list that is.

in the same draft players like Grima, Hooker, Pears and Armfield were picked up.
i hope Hardwick doesn't retain the services of this clown.

If hardwick is to be successful its not with failures like Jackson and co. Find your own people Damian.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
I still can't believe we overlooked Clark when we needed talls. Miller didn't rate Clark a top 10 pick. He had him on par with Cleve in terms of KPPs :P.

A pretty strong first round in 2005 as well. Not too many flops below apart from JON, Pfeiffer and perhaps Drum. Bailey crueled by 3 ACLs.

1 Marc Murphy - Carlton
2 Dale Thomas - Collingwood
3 Xavier Ellis - Hawthorn
4 Josh Kennedy - Carlton
5 Scott Pendlebury - Collingwood
6 Beau Dowler - Hawthorn
7 Patrick Ryder - Essendon
8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls - Richmond
9 Mitchell Clark - Brisbane
10 Marcus Drum - Fremantle
16 Richard Douglas - Adelaide
17 Darren Pfeiffer - Adelaide
18 Max Bailey - Hawthorn
19 Courtenay Dempsey - Essendon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_AFL_Draft

Can't believe we overlooked this lot and picked JON???????????????

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"