Author Topic: Will we make the finals?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Will we make the finals?
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:03:35 PM »
TIGERS STILL SNARLING
by: Andrew Wu
Exclusive to Sportal
Tuesday, 14 June 2005 1:22:04 PM AEST

The football world has been waiting all season for Richmond to fall away but despite three straight losses and star Nathan Brown being sidelined for the rest of the season with a broken leg, the Tigers would have to collapse in a heap to miss the finals.

The Tigers confounded pundits with their start to the season, winning seven of their first nine matches - all against teams that are currently not in the eight - but were found wanting against the cream of the competition.

They were smashed by Geelong, St Kilda and Melbourne but were honourable in defeat against the Eagles, their first match after losing Brown.

But it was Sunday's 29-point loss to the Kangaroos which will have the Tigers' faithful concerned.

Without Brown's silky skills and goal-scoring power - he was second on the goal-kicker's table with 34 when he was injured - the Tigers, despite six more scoring shots, were unable to make the most of their opportunities, booting a wasteful 10.20 to throw away a very winnable game.

Though players of the class of Brown are irreplaceable, the Tigers will be hoping maligned youngster Kayne Pettifer, who has booted a respectable 17 goals this season, can continue his improved form in 2005 and help fill the void.

The form of veteran Greg Stafford, who has had a forgettable season, would also be of tremendous concern to coach Terry Wallace and his match committee.

The former Swan, who turns 31 in August, has taken 22 marks and had 28 hit-outs from nine matches - numbers that are simply not good enough for a 203cm ruckman - and unless he lifts, Wallace will have no choice but to end his ploy of playing three ruckmen in the team and relegate Stafford to the VFL.

Given his age and Richmond's youth policy, that would almost spell the end of his career.

But all is not yet lost for the Tigers, who can take plenty from their start to the season.

The resurgence of two-time All-Australian Darren Gaspar has eased the pressure on Andrew Kellaway, enabling him to rediscover some of the form he showed in 2000, when he won the club's best and fairest and earned All-Australian selection.

At the other end of the ground, if Matthew Richardson can keep fit and overcome the loss of his right-hand man in the forward line, the Tigers still have a forward capable of taking that all-important contested mark.

The improvement shown by Shane Tuck, and 2003 Jack Dyer Medalist Mark Coughlan's return to full fitness has given their midfield a harder edge and if that pair can continue the form that sees them rank 11th and 12th for possessions after 12 rounds, the Tigers should win enough of the ball to give spearhead Richardson a chance to help them kick a winning score.

With 11 wins likely to be enough to snare a finals berth, it is conceivable that the Tigers, who play struggling trio Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn and only have to travel interstate twice in the run home, would only have to win one other match to make their first September appearance since 2001.

Not bad for a club that won the wooden spoon last year.

http://www.sportal.com.au/football.asp?i=news&id=66941

letsgetiton!

Re: Will we make the finals?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »
we need to win 3 of the next 4 games if we win 2 or less we may slip at the business end of the season

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:13:08 AM »
I reckon it's make or break this weekend. If we win we go to 8-5 and back into the top 4 with a bit of confidence after a win going into the break; if we get done we're 7-6 and possibly only one game away from dropping out. PLus our confidence won't be too good after 4 straight losses. Must win on Saturday night.

With four straight home games we need to make the most of them with our crowd behind them. As you say X we need to win at least 3 of them as our last 7 games are pretty tough. Saints at the 'G plus Port, Freo and the Cats away could be all losses leaving only the Blues, Hawks and Dogs matches to pick up 4 points.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 09:22:17 AM »
lets just pray we can win the next 5 str8 and shut everyone up and cement our spot in the 8, i believe when our game plan is wrking and the boys are working hard to play as they should we have the talent to make the 8, its just a matter of teh boys sticking to the tasks at hand

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »
We need to stop the rot in the next week or two. If we lose the next couple we will fold. Without Nathan Brown I don't think we can make it. Not enough goal kickers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:17:13 PM by JohnF »

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 11:44:15 AM »
The buzz word going around is the moment is ' season defining game' and thats this week if we can scrape a win v Crows then the break we have Harts, Tambling, Richo coming back in, the odds say Richo won't play this week.   
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 01:11:12 PM »
If you had asked me after the Roos game I would have said NUP but four days is long time in footy ;D :rollin and now I back to saying YUP   :thumbsup

But this week is crucial in so many ways
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »
Hate to say it, but i think we will get flogged this week by the Crows and this will continue a downward spiral for the rest of the season.

We have a great coach in Terry Wallace, but he still has many of the same duds as last season.

Sure he cleaned out last season, but i dont expect it to happen in one year. Terry needs atleast another season or two to weed out the people who arent prepared to play for the team and play to instructions.

Bowden is the perfect example, sure he can play good footy but he does what he wants.

Not good enough for someone who was considered for the captaincy.

So that is a BIG No for me.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 07:43:51 AM »
I don't think we'll beat the Crows either but I think we'll win just enough games to scrape into the top 8.  Which after finishing wooden spooners last year is a big bonus.  Hell, even 15th would be better than last year.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 02:40:43 AM »
Hate to say it, but i think we will get flogged this week by the Crows and this will continue a downward spiral for the rest of the season.

We have a great coach in Terry Wallace, but he still has many of the same duds as last season.

Sure he cleaned out last season, but i dont expect it to happen in one year. Terry needs atleast another season or two to weed out the people who arent prepared to play for the team and play to instructions.

Bowden is the perfect example, sure he can play good footy but he does what he wants.

Not good enough for someone who was considered for the captaincy.

So that is a BIG No for me.

How spot on is this call :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 07:04:17 AM »
Yep Bully was spot on.

We are so much a confidence side and once again after a few losses the confidence is shot and we've gone back to selfish individualistic undisciplined and brainless footy  :banghead  :banghead. Yeah we've copped a few injuries but we are soft  >:(. We'll be lucky to win a game for the rest of the year on current "form" which in the long term might be a good thing  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 10:16:44 AM »
unless terry has the balls to be brave and make changes to this line up we are going no where! he has stated its the same usual suspecys (senior players) who continually let the team down! he knows who they are, its 13 weeks in so puiss them off and start ur rebuilding process pahse 2 now, dont wait til next year!!!!

i dont care what anyone says but sugar is hopeless!!!! his disposal in th efirst quarter along with joel bowden set the scene for our thumping!!! we have the obly uninspiring captain in afl!! he is the only captian who cannot and will never change a game, win a game and provide inspiration!!!! he came to our club with a name but til this day has not won a game for us!! stiff chedders if he is a consistant contributor, he is only consistant and snuffing  easy kicks!!! hope he is not captain next yr!!! but im sure he will be!

joel bowden as above!!! gets the ball and is hopeless with it!!! cant believe his lack of skill at times! as sugar, he is a leader but at least he has the ablitu to turn a game , but he has to play hff!!!! he is not accountable enough as a defender!

greg tivendale, i have lost total patience with this fool! if he plays another game 4 us i will  lose my stack! he should be sent to coburg asap, and not just kept in th eside to use as trade bait next yr!!!!

chaffey! he is playing ok, but he is not our future, he should be sent to coburg as tiv ti finish his season off and sent off !

stafford! to old too slow, too injury prone! giove pattison experience as he is our future!!!

darren gaspar!!! dont buy this  garbage that he has had an outstanding yr! he has had one gr8 game imo thus far and i cannot believ that with all his experience, not once did he take front position against the adel defence. at times he got in front with his pace but he staill played from behind!!! he should have known to play 3-5 m infront all day!!!!

mark coglan! too many times this yr he has missed easy goals from very close range cos he wont kick through the ball, but from 40 metre out he is ok as he does kick through the ball! i believe the tigers should trade him to get a real class mindfielder as dal santo!!! i know many tiger fans will hate me but i dont believe cogs is up to it, his body is already worn out! he has the courage, but not the iq required as many players in the team!

i cannot believe that joel and sugar were named in th ebest!!! just because they gathered touches!!! their disposal was pathetic as their decision making!!!! they all went back to the old ways and deviated from the game plan! 

hats off to chris hyde he took all the bumps last night to his head and got str8 back up! he was our only midfielder who continually took risks to break the lines and stick tio the plan!!!

deledio likewise, its time to play him in the middle for the remaider of the season along with jackson and raines, these kids may make mistakes but they do so only because they are learning and young but at least they r are following the game plan and trying!

krak imo is our only player with 100% footy smarts and brains!!!! and for a small bloke he took some strong marks over his head too!

for me our best players were hyde, deledio, krak, jackson, raines and richo!!! not because of how many touches they got but of the quality touches they got!!!

BLOODY HELL WHY CANT HE HAVE A CAPTAIN OR PLAYERS LIKE RICCIUTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 11:35:49 AM »
Do you beleive in miracles?

When Sydney choke the crap out of us and squeeze another loss...we are finished.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 12:37:07 PM »
After the "Effort" against the Crows - can I change my vote to

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE

:'( ;D :help :cheers :banghead :'(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2005, 06:17:06 PM »
i voted yes on the basis we beat the crows, thus i change to no!!!! until players like sugar increase their accuracy on disposal and players like tiv are gone we are nothing! i was surprised to read that joel bowden was the most efficient player on the ground! he had a total of 86% effective disposals, too bad the 14% were absolute shockers