Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465612 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt to retire after this weekend's match [update]
« Reply #4065 on: August 15, 2023, 06:20:39 PM »
Another true champion of the club , loves the club and his team mates
One of the champion trinity of  Tasmanian CHF Richmond has ever had, Richo, Royce and Jack Riewoldt
Should be proud of himself for what he has given as all genuine Richmond people will be.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4066 on: August 15, 2023, 06:34:57 PM »
He won three flags and sang with The Killers but there’s another moment Riewoldt will cherish

Damien Ractliffe
The Age
August 15, 2023

He lived his premiership dream three times over and got to be a rock star for a night, but there is one moment aside from his three winning grand finals that Jack Riewoldt will cherish most.

Riewoldt will play his 347th and final match for Richmond on Saturday after announcing that he would join former captain Trent Cotchin in retirement.

The image of the star full-forward up on stage with The Killers, belting out Mr Brightside with lead singer Brandon Flowers, captures the elation of the drought-breaking 2017 flag.

But Riewoldt also recalls the pure joy of round 23, 2014, when the Tigers were on an eight-game winning streak chasing a finals spot after being booted out in an elimination final in 2013. Former captain Chris Newman was playing his 250th game against the top-of-the-table Swans in Sydney.

“I’ll never forget that day,” Riewoldt said on Tuesday. “I’ll never forget that little patch that [Swans defender] Ted Richards slipped on trying to catch ‘Dus’ [Dustin Martin] and ‘Dus’ kicked the sealer, and to win for someone like ‘Newy’ was really important for us and important for me.

“Outside of finals, that’s probably my favourite memory.”

Riewoldt was the last player to touch the football in that match, booting it into the sky as the siren went to signal a three-point win.

The Tigers lost the elimination final to Port Adelaide, and lost a third straight elimination final in 2015 to North Melbourne, before finishing outside the eight in 2016, with Richmond’s future under coach Damien Hardwick at a crossroads.

The club famously showed faith in Hardwick, who went on to lead the Tigers to three flags in four seasons with captain Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin as the pillars of the team’s success. Less well known is a meeting between Riewoldt and Cotchin at St Rose cafe in Essendon, which cemented a culture change at Richmond.

Riewoldt said he and Cotchin were discussing how they could provide second-year player Daniel Rioli with a premiership, thinking it would come after they had finished their careers.

“Whilst we spoke about Daniel playing in the next premiership and being a part of that next Richmond cup, we found ourselves smack bang in the middle of it,” Riewoldt said.

“I think of 2017, and we probably weren’t the most talented list out there but we had this superpower that we created through an ability to connect on a different level.

“We were an amazing defensive team that year, but we had this trust and belief in each other that we unlocked. Other people saw it as a strength and copied it. Ultimately, we were the only team that could do it in that time, it was unique to us, and I’m really proud of that.”

Cotchin and Riewoldt came into this season wanting to enjoy every last moment – besides their last game at Marvel Stadium, which Riewoldt joked should be burnt down given the Tigers have notched one draw and seven losses from their past eight matches there.

Riewoldt called Hardwick, who was shopping in Italy, on Monday night to thank him for the role he played in his career, and said he’d made a conscious effort to enjoy moments that were likely to be his last.

On Saturday, Riewoldt and Cotchin will run onto the field for the final time, but Riewoldt said the club is ready to begin a new era without them.

“I do really see similarities to 2016 and what we’ve done, it’s a really great time to refresh as a club,” he said.

“I’m intrigued about what that looks like.

“I know we’ve got some amazing talent in the room, talent we haven’t even seen at AFL level yet that I can’t wait to see, and we’ve got some great guys coming through that have to grab the leadership mantle.

“I’m looking forward to being on the other side of the fence and experiencing that journey with a different lens, and being proud to say I was a Richmond man, and I am a Richmond man.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/he-won-three-flags-and-sang-with-the-killers-but-there-s-another-moment-riewoldt-will-cherish-20230815-p5dwq2.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4067 on: August 15, 2023, 07:11:55 PM »
Jack's speech to the playing group:

WATCH HERE: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1406179/-it-connected-generations-of-families-riewoldt

-------------------

Jack will be on AFL360 tonight (starts 7:30pm).

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4068 on: August 15, 2023, 08:42:15 PM »
Congratulations to Jack on a brilliant career. He is an absolute legend of this club and rightly deserves his place as a great. His selflessness, courage, skill and leadership brought this club enormous success. Thank-you Jack.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4069 on: August 15, 2023, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks Jack

Legend, champion of our Club who always championed for our Club
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 07:17:12 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4070 on: August 15, 2023, 11:17:05 PM »
What a legend. He had such a great well rounded game, strong in the air, agile at ground level and could setup goals as well as he could kick them. Don’t think he gets the credit he deserves outside of our footy club - was it his second Coleman where they didn’t even name him all Australian? I can’t remember another time the Coleman medalist was left out.

Anyway, farewell to another immortal of our club. Go on and enjoy your media career jack  :bow :cheers

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4071 on: August 15, 2023, 11:47:30 PM »
What a legend. He had such a great well rounded game, strong in the air, agile at ground level and could setup goals as well as he could kick them. Don’t think he gets the credit he deserves outside of our footy club - was it his second Coleman where they didn’t even name him all Australian? I can’t remember another time the Coleman medalist was left out.

Anyway, farewell to another immortal of our club. Go on and enjoy your media career jack  :bow :cheers

I think Jack will be heavily involved in the new  Tasmanian team. Well he would be if they have a brain.

One of my favorite players and imo the state of our tall forward stocks says he has gone a year early.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4072 on: August 16, 2023, 12:47:36 AM »

They snubbed him for AA! It was insane! Also it was important for him to butt heads with Dimma. I think it was at a presser we were losing a lot and he said the game plan was poo because it was diet hawthorn with chip kicking and he was right! They should have included in the highlights reel him trying to get a Myki and evading cameras as well.

I love Jack so much and will miss him lighting it up. To kick those goals when for a large part of his career we were poo and made to clear the forward line for vickery speaks volumes of how good of a footballer he was.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4073 on: August 16, 2023, 12:55:06 AM »

They snubbed him for AA! It was insane! Also it was important for him to butt heads with Dimma. I think it was at a presser we were losing a lot and he said the game plan was poo because it was diet hawthorn with chip kicking and he was right! They should have included in the highlights reel him trying to get a Myki and evading cameras as well.

I love Jack so much and will miss him lighting it up. To kick those goals when for a large part of his career we were poo and made to clear the forward line for vickery speaks volumes of how good of a footballer he was.

Haha yeah that clip has been doing the rounds today. I think dimmas famous quote in his presser that week is along the lines of “we’ve found jack and removed his foot from his mouth and my foot from his ass”  :snidegrin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We break down Jack Riewoldt’s standing in Tasmanian footy (The Mercury)
« Reply #4074 on: August 16, 2023, 04:46:40 AM »
We break down Jack Riewoldt’s standing in Tasmanian footy

Jack Riewoldt will go down as one of Tasmania’s greatest footballers when his career draws to a close this weekend. We rank him against the best from this century. HAVE YOUR SAY.

Brayden May
The Mercury
August 16, 2023

OUR TOP-FIVE TASMANIAN AFL PLAYERS SINCE 2000

1. Matthew Richardson
2. Jack Riewoldt
3. Alastair Lynch
4. Grant Birchall
5. Jeremy Howe

-----------------------------

When the final siren sounds on Jack Riewoldt’s AFL career this weekend, it will read among the game’s greats.

Three premierships, three Coleman medals, three All-Australian selections, 347 games and just shy of 800 goals.

And with every great’s retirement comes the time for debate.

In Riewoldt’s case it’s where does he sit among Tasmania’s greatest AFL players.

Some classify his cousin Nick as the greatest player from the Apple Isle, others don’t consider him to be him in the argument considering he moved to Queensland at such a young age.

We’re leaving Nick out of our argument, focusing on the group since 2000.

What about when it comes to his former teammate and fellow Tigers legend Matthew Richardson?

Jack’s emergence at the Tigers, where he became the focal point in the forward 50, gave Richo new life when he moved up the ground to the wing – almost claiming the unlikeliest of Brownlow medals.

Richardson himself earned three All-Australian selections and kicked 800 goals as a 13-time leading goal kicker at the Tigers.

The now 48-year-old was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame and it’s all but assured Riewoldt won’t be too far behind – likely to be inducted as soon as possible.

Burnie’s Alastair Lynch can’t be left out of the conversation either.

A three-time premiership player with Brisbane in the early 2000s, finishing as the club’s leading goalkicker each season.

His career totalled 306 games and 633 games – many of those coming in the 80s and 90s.

If we’re comparing Lynch and Riewoldt’s entire careers, we probably give the Tigers superstar the slight edge.

Given Riewoldt’s goalkicking prowess we probably forget he’s much smaller than his key forward counterparts of the modern game.

At 193cm, he’s developed a reputation as one of the most selfless and smartest players in the competition.

His mind has always been a step ahead of the opposition, often leaving fans stunned by his skill.

Then there’s the high flying marks that became part and parcel of Jack’s game.

Was the 2021 hanger going back with the flight against Adelaide his best? You could watch his highlights for hours.

One player who probably doesn’t get as much acknowledgement in Tassie’s greatest debate is Grant Birchall.

A four-time premiership player with Hawthorn before finishing his career with Brisbane, Birchall wasn’t the star of the show.

He was a smooth moving halfback with a left foot that made everything click for the Hawks.

On paper, Birchall’s team success outweighs that of Riewoldt.

But on a personal front are they comparable – it probably depends who you are as to who you would have in front.

Overall, Jack’s standing in Tasmanian football has him among the best.

But just where he ranks is a debate that will carry on not just in this off-season but for the next 50 years.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/we-break-down-jack-riewoldts-standing-in-tasmanian-footy/news-story/b17044c4f9cf8e38f74d32bbe5f9b7a5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt’s last Tasmanian coach on AFL great’s early days (Mercury)
« Reply #4075 on: August 16, 2023, 05:17:56 AM »
Jack Riewoldt’s last Tasmanian coach on AFL great’s early days

Ryan Rosendale
The Mercury
August 16, 2023

As the last man to coach Jack Riewoldt before he exploded onto the AFL scene, Tuesday’s retirement announcement of one of Tasmania’s greatest ever football exports brought back fond memories for Nick Davey.

Davey coached Riewoldt in his final two seasons at Clarence and got a first-hand look at a talented and confident teenager that would end up finishing his AFL career as one of the greatest key forwards of his generation.

“You sort of keep an eye on the kids you coached and yeah it’s been an amazing ride for him,” Davey said.

“He has probably finished his career as one of the best Tasmanians to ever play the game.”

A name synonymous with Clarence thanks to the exploits of his father Chris, Riewoldt debuted for the Roos in 2005 and went on to kick four goals in a losing grand final.

Davey was able to lead the Roos back to the decider the following season where they defeated Glenorchy to win the 2006 SFL premier league premiership in what became Riewoldt’s final game for the club before he was drafted by the Tigers with pick 13 just a month later.

“I think he first played (senior football) when he was 16 and back in those days it was pretty typical to have a more mature playing list, but he came in and played his first game as a 16 year-old and a year later he was in a premiership team,” Davey recalled.

“I remember the semi-final in 2006 out at KGV and he took a mark directly in front but 60-65 meters out and he unleashed a big torpedo that sailed through.

“It was amazing for a kid of that age to have the confidence to have a crack in such a big game. He was always pretty confident in his own ability but he was a great kid and never arrogant. Even now when we have reunions and things like that he is always doing his best to get there and catches up with all his mates from down here.”

While Riewoldt still speaks fondly of his time at Bellerive, Davey wasn’t sure if he could be convinced to wind back the clock and pull the boots on in some capacity at the club that gave him his start but, he agreed that the three-time Coleman medallist was “right up there” with the most talented players he has ever coached.

Riewoldt playing for Clarence back in his debut season in 2005.

Jack Riewoldt kicks a 65 metre goal after the third quarter siren in the 2006 second-semi final against Glenorchy. It’s a moment his former coach Nick Davey remembers fondly.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/jack-riewoldts-last-tasmanian-coach-on-afl-greats-early-days/news-story/49a2b9a22fac1e929beab648d427c858

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Robbo on Richmond’s legendary goalkicker (HeraldSun)
« Reply #4076 on: August 16, 2023, 05:20:47 AM »
Jack Riewoldt retirement: Mark Robinson on Richmond’s legendary goalkicker

Jack Riewoldt will be long be remembered as a Richmond great. MARK ROBINSON charts the highs and lows of one of footy’s greatest goalkickers.

Mark Robinson
HeraldSun
August 16, 2023

That there’s a debate about who was the better Riewoldt — Jack or Nick — is testament to the staggering achievements of the younger, rascalish cousin.

Nick was a champion Saint, fiercely determined who seemingly played football in a businesslike manner, rarely smiling, a job more than a fun sporting pursuit.

Jack was a champion Tiger, also fiercely determined, but he played with a playful attitude, a player who understood and lapped up the essence of entertainment.

Nick played 336 games, took 2944 marks and kicked 718.455.

Jack has played 346 games, taken 1827 marks and kicked 786.477.

That’s 1000 extra marks for Nick and roughly 70 more goals for Jack.

They were different players. Nick galloped around the ground like a thoroughbred, while Jack patrolled the 30m stretch in front of the goalsquare.

Both were courageous in the air, scarily so, and Jack once playfully asked whose mark was better — Nick’s mark running with the flight against the Swans at the SCG or his running mark against Adelaide on the Gold Coast.

Sorry, Jack, but Nick wins that one.

Arguably, Nick was the better footballer, but Jack had the better career.

Three flags does that to a CV.

Hundreds of stories will be told about Jack — on and off the field — because he was a great player and a people’s footballer. He was relatable. He had flaws early in his career, a selfishness which comes with being a great talent, but those flaws made him more the regular guy.

Who else would jump on stage and belt out Mr Brightside, which people believe was a spur of the moment decision but in fact was planned in the days before the game. He was always an entertainer.

His Richmond story is an integral part of the mighty triumvirate of Hardwick, Cotchin and Riewoldt.

They leave a legacy about what is possible when a team finds selflessness in an environment where one can be seduced by selfishness.

Not sure Jack agreed with the coach when, in 2011, he said “Jack has to kick less goals for us to get better, if that makes any sense,”

It didn’t at the time, and it was a work in progress for the team and inside Jack’s head, for several seasons.

Continued failure on elimination final weekend frustrated him. He wasn’t happy at Richmond and, at the end of 2016, he contemplated seeking a trade.

At that time, Jordan Lewis was booted from Hawthorn, and for a couple weeks there, the two of them would catch up pre-show in the kitchen at Fox Footy and discuss the pros and cons on leaving the Tigers.

Lewis listened more than gave advice.

Jack stayed a Tiger and, led by Hardwick and Cotchin, the Tigers juggernaut was up and running.

Their success on the field was driven by three words off it — hardship, hero and highlight.

Jack at his press conference called it Richmond’s “super power”.

In 2017, every player and coach would stand in front of the group and pour out their deepest secrets. Players, some in tears, would speak of family heartbreak and/or inspiration. Jack spoke about Nick. He was his hero.

The emotional investment underpinned the premiership success.

Jack grew as a person and player. And he had to.

He was buffoon at times. He once publicly questioned the Tigers game plan, which annoyed the coach, and who could ever forget his attempted great escape from the media when he jumped the Punt Rd fence, hid behind cars and scrambled to buy a Myki ticket?

Then there was the fight he had with teammate Alex Rance at a Mad Monday drink at the Cricketers Arm in Richmond. The two big dogs needled each other to the point where punches were thrown. “Yeah, he clocked me, not hard, but he clocked me,’’ Rance said later. “I deserved it.’’

The pair would forge a great friendship and some Tigers people say that if those two didn’t grow up and stop being the halfwits they were, the 2017 premiership might not have been won.

Jack matured to be a wonderful statesman for the Tigers and for the game.

His honesty on AFL360 won people over.

For a superstar player, he was grounded. For sure, he had a very healthy ego, but no one said more hellos to the people at Fox Footy when he arrived than Jack. His enthusiasm to engage lit up the conversation.

He understood the importance of the media.

On the night of the 2018 preliminary final, which the Tigers spectacularly lost to the Magpies, Jack allowed me to drive to the game with him and his wife Carly. It was to be a mindset piece to run the following weekend on grand final day about how he starts to prepare himself spiritually and emotionally for a cutthroat final.

When the car hit the top of Punt Rd, Jack played one his favourite songs, Paul Kelly’s Leaps and Bounds.

As hundreds of Tigers fans streamed towards the ground on the footpath, Jack and Carly were belting out the song inside the car. “I’m high on the hill, looking over the bridge to the MCG. And way up on high, the clock on the silo, says eleven degrees.’’

That high was soon lost to the devastation of defeat. The piece never saw the light of the day.

Jack leaves the game a much-loved and respected figure. People rang talkback radio on Tuesday with more stories about him off-field than on it and that says plenty about the person he is.

He was a player who eventually embraced the team-first mantra. He will always be remembered as the tall amid the smalls — and Jacob Townsend — who formed Richmond’s forward line in 2017.

He was crafty and sharing of the ball, could spring sharply to take hangers and when the moons aligned was a beautiful kick. He held the ball with the right hand high and the left hand low and cradling.

His run up was effortless.

But he was always Jumping Jack, the ultimate headliner.

And, from now, he’ll always be a Richmond legend.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/jack-riewoldt-retirement-mark-robinson-on-richmonds-legendary-goalkicker/news-story/cca8742b95caf87020c031cca3283ca1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4077 on: August 16, 2023, 05:28:33 AM »
Jack on AFL360 last night:

Click on pic/link to watch:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl-360/riewoldt-explains-retirement-decision!864469

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘I’ve known’: Riewoldt’s admission on AFL retirement call as ‘new era’ looms for Tigers

Fox Footy
August 16th, 2023

Retiring Richmond star Jack Riewoldt has revealed he knew heading into 2023 it would “more than likely” be his last AFL season.

After much speculation about his future, Riewoldt announced on Tuesday he would play his 347th and final AFL game for the Tigers, drawing a close to a storeyed career.

The three-time Coleman medallist told AFL 360 he could’ve played on in 2024, but decided calling it quits this season was the right option.

“To be honest, it‘s probably been from the start of the season that I’ve known that this would more than likely be my last year,” he said.

“Possibly I could’ve played on, but to what sort of detriment to myself?

“I don’t want to get halfway through a season next year and be like, ‘Ah, I’m sick of this.’ I really do believe that the club now is in its next era.”

Riewoldt’s era will conclude with three premierships, with the breakthrough 2017 flag kickstarting a dynasty that will be forever remembered by the yellow and black army.

His retirement will coincide with Trent Cotchin, with the former captain also finishing up on Saturday against North Melbourne.

It forms part of a changing of the guard that Riewoldt was acutely aware of on Tuesday night.

“You think of probably the five most important people at the football club over the last six years have been probably Brendon Gale, myself, Trent, Dustin and Peggy. There’s only two of them still there now,” he said.

“Now is this time for this next generation of players that have sat under great leadership, arguably one of the greatest captains to have ever captained in the AFL in Trent Cotchin and a couple of offsiders in myself and Rancey who tried to help him along the way and obviously the leadership of Peggy and Brendan.

“Now they get the opportunity to transform it into the next era of Richmond, the next generation of Richmond.

“They’ll take things from what we’ve taught them and learnings of what we’ve taught them but they get to rediscover and rebrand themselves and that’ll happen under a new character, whether that’s Andrew McQualter or someone else who’s going through the process at the moment.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-jack-riewoldt-retirement-decision-to-play-on-interview-richmond-great-afl-360-interview/news-story/347ae8f4fb512961acddbe9dd8cc229e

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4078 on: August 16, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »
Totally love how Jack refers to the club as, "The Mighty Richmond Football Club"

His passion for the club is second to none

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4079 on: August 18, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »
What a magnificent individual  :bow
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.