Author Topic: Tigers partner with WWF-Australia to help save wild tigers from extinction  (Read 12200 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
On the 12 noon news they said the RFC has joined up to save the real tigers in the wild who are an endangered species. We'll be collecting for donations at Friday night's game.

Steven Wright was asked if we were similarly endangered and he replied we've got our backs to the wall given the on-field performance but we'll be basically fine off-field.

Offline Babsky

• Future Richmond star
I'm sick of dodging all the money grabbers when you are trying to get into the ground...understand we need to support community groups and the likes but between the charities and the scratchy ticket sellers you get apporached a dozen times or so....

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Babs I work in the city, they drive u frekkin bananas.

I will be giving for the Tigers though, what people are doing to the Tiger is a fukcen disgrace.
These people make me sick - literally.
The planet would be better off with more of these animals and less of those people.
 :gotigers and  :gotigers

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
but we'll be basically fine off-field.

so does that mean we are also basically not fine

i wanna hear that we are definately fine

Offline Babsky

• Future Richmond star
Agree we need to do our bit, I have even been known to rattle the old tin (not an analogy for anything else ;D).  Just don't like being followed and harrassed when you say no, or continually approached after you have already given....maybe they could give you a sticker or something to put on your top so that others leave you alone.

Tigermonk

stuff the tigers in the wild l couldnot care less if they were all gone
whats this got to do with Richmond Football club
there got one in the boardroom its probabaly getting old & there raising money for a new one
they should concentrate on the members & football & l be telling the money grabbers to stuff off come friday night
l couldnot give a stuff about the wild l dont live there & they eat the people who do anyway
l just want to see some good football from my team & it coached right or l get the signitures to cause the overthrow & get Peter Welsh back down there and .pee Miller March Wallace Royal King & the others off out of the club

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Should take the players over to Africa and let them loose in the wild. Then get rich American tourists to hunt them down.

I bet we'll see some gut running then.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Should take the players over to Africa and let them loose in the wild. Then get rich American tourists to hunt them down.

sorry wayne, no tigers in africa

better head of the the bay of bengal, and the jungles in india and bangladesh, let them loose there to see first hand how a tiger should act

Tigermonk

you know wayne that be too much for some of them lads they wouldnot get off the bus
they be too scared like when they tackle there aint no bone crunching tackles its grab & slip off stuff or fall to the ground  :pray

Tigermonk

sorry wayne, no tigers in africa

better head of the the bay of bengal, and the jungles in india and bangladesh, let them loose there to see first hand how a tiger should act

;D

Ramps

thats some of the funniest poo ive read on this forum in a long time

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Taskforce Launched
4:32 PM Tue 7 August, 2007
for richmondfc.com.au

Richmond Football Club has joined forces with Melbourne Zoo in a bid to ensure that tigers don’t disappear from the planet.   

When the Zoo opened in 1862, and the Richmond Football Club was formed in 1885, there were eight subspecies of tigers living throughout much of Asia. Since then, however, the world has lost three subspecies, along with much of the tigers’ native habitat.

All five surviving subspecies are now endangered – Sumatran tigers most of all.

Now, Richmond Football Club is stamping its iconic brand on the Melbourne Zoo’s efforts to support Sumatran tiger conservation in the wild, and contribute to a sustainable zoo insurance population within the world’s zoo network.

The new Tiger Taskforce partnership aims to increase community awareness of the critical danger tigers face in the wild, and to raise funds to support projects that would secure the future of all surviving tiger subspecies.

The five Sumatran tigers at Melbourne Zoo are part of an international breeding program managed from London Zoo.

Melbourne Zoo is already a major partner of Flora and Fauna International, which manages an extremely significant habitat protection program in a major national park in Sumatra.  Funds raised through the Tiger Taskforce project will enable the current assistance to be expanded further.

Richmond Football Club CEO Steven Wright is confident that Tiger supporters will get right behind the Tiger Taskforce.

“The mascot is so integral to Richmond’s identity and, given its significance, we felt a sense of duty to do whatever we could, to assist with the survival of the tigers in the wild, “ he said. “I’m sure our fans will rally to support such a meaningful cause.”

Zoo Board Chairman Andrew Fairley, who is a former Richmond Football Club Director, welcomes the new community partnership and sees it as a potentially powerful alignment of two Melbourne icons.

“It is very appropriate that two historic organisations, with deep roots in the Victorian community, share such a strong vision of a future where people live in greater harmony with wildlife, protecting the planet’s precious bio-diversity,”’ he said.  “We are excited to welcome Richmond into a leadership role in tiger conservation.”

Richmond ruckman Troy Simmonds, a passionate supporter of wildlife conservation, has been appointed the Club’s Tiger Taskforce Ambassador.

To make a donation to the Tiger Taskforce, or to find out more information about the project, call (03) 9285 9314, or go to the Zoos Victoria website:  http://www.zoo.org.au/.

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=48733

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I actually sponsor the 3 Tiger cubs at the zoo (well I am one of many ;D). Sensational animals. Had a great morning a few months back when we had breakfast with the Cubs - magnificant :thumbsup

Learnt alot about the plight of the Sumartran Tigers - time to dig deep and help saves these beautiful animals :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

Comment of the season. P1sser

:ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL :ROTFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Saving the (real) tigers
Warwick Green
The Age
August 14, 2007

THERE'S no doubting the hostility between Collingwood and Richmond fans. And so it was last Friday night, as the two tribes descended upon the 'G. It can be something of an obstacle course for fans making their way into the footy these days. You've only just breezed past your fifth kid trying to sell you a AFL Record, when a woman with a bright cap and even brighter caps on her teeth offers you a sign with the word "GOAL!" on one side, and a blatant plug for her product on the other.

In this environment, it's perhaps understandable that the famously placid Magpies fans were not necessarily at their most gregarious when asked whether they would care to donate any money to the Tiger Taskforce on Friday night. Several volunteers bravely rattled tins with the slogan "Eat 'em alive" scrawled on the front. No doubt, the odd Pies fan had flashbacks to Richmond's 1990 Save Our Skins campaign because more than one gentleman clad in black-and-white was heard to offer advice about where the tins could be inserted, preferably sideways. What they didn't realise was that the tin-rattling had nothing to do with Punt Road Oval or the Jack Dyer Foundation. It was about a joint initiative between Richmond and the Melbourne Zoo to raise funds and awareness about endangered animals, and the volunteers included two keepers from the tigers' enclosure and several other zoo staff.

Since the Richmond footy club was formed in 1885, three tiger sub-species have become extinct, and the remaining five species are endangered. Thankfully, quite a few AFL fans were prepared to donate money. One tin-rattler spoke of a small boy who flatly refused to help the Tigers, but once he understood what it was about, he handed over all of his coins for the tigers. In all, more than $1000 was raised at the match. If you're interested in the cause, log on to www.zoo.org.au or phone 9285 9314.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/saving-the-real-tigers/2007/08/13/1186857428209.html