Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 878753 times)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6600 on: April 14, 2024, 08:41:34 PM »
Has phoned it in for 3yrs. Time to move him on. Not getting value for money

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6601 on: April 14, 2024, 08:56:40 PM »
Thanks Dusty

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6602 on: April 15, 2024, 01:03:52 AM »
Fox Footy commentators Will Schofield and Matthew Pavlich questioned why Tigers star Dustin Martin wasn’t the man coach Adem Yze turned to when West Coast put the foot down in the third.

“No (Jack) Ross, no Taranto, (Jacob) Hopper of course … there’s a number of players in this Richmond team they’d love to have out there,” Pavlich said.

“Adem Yze trying to think of a solution with what he’s got. Do you send forwards up or back your players in and around the ball?”

“Dustin Martin seems the obvious fix to it. But he hasn’t had a clearance (in the third term) and is currently sitting as the deepest forward,” Schofield added.

“You can’t have him running around all day in there either.”

Late in the third term, Martin had just eight touches playing mainly as a forward.

“They’ve got so many leaks here; they don’t know which one to fill. They’re getting done at stoppage, done with supply. Do you take someone out of the midfield?” Schofield questioned of Richmond’s woes.

“They’ve got a lot of changes to make but you can’t make them all.

“Dustin Martin’s lack of impact on the game tells me he’s probably not quite right.

“They are getting dominated in the midfield and he’s the guy to go and do something about it.”

Pavlich questioned if Yze had an eye to the future with keeping Martin forward.

“Or is it Adem Yze saying ‘you know what? This is our young midfield, and we can’t rely on Dusty and a few others to get it done. Let’s expose a few of them’.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-scores-2024-west-coast-eagles-vs-richmond-tigers-round-5-updates-stats-blog-how-to-stream-teams-latest-news/news-story/85f4599ea04f24ff5403741f6f3dbf79

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6603 on: April 15, 2024, 07:54:22 AM »
I think Pavlich got the last paragraph correct.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6604 on: April 16, 2024, 07:16:21 AM »
Where to next? Matthew Lloyd urges Richmond to make harsh call on Dustin Martin's pending career

By Anna Pavlou
Nine
16 April 2024

Matthew Lloyd has called on Richmond to keep their eyes on ageing star Dustin Martin and then decide if they offer him a contract at the end of this season.

Martin's mega nine-year deal comes to an end in 2024, after the midfielder helped the Tigers to three flags in the past decade and collecting all three Norm Smith Medals and a Brownlow Medal to go with it.

Martin is now 32 and questions are naturally arising about what the next chapter of his career holds - whether that be retirement, another year in the yellow and black, or even a move to a rival club.

Lloyd has declared the superstar should remain a one-club champion, but it is up to Richmond, not Martin, to decide whether they sign him for another year.

"Watch Dustin's body language, watch how hard he wants to work on the field, and challenge him on his motivation levels," Lloyd said on Nine's Footy Classified.

"He's achieved everything there is to achieve in the game, but do you still want it badly enough?"

That decision, Lloyd believes, is based on where the Tigers believe they're headed next.

If they want to contend, they'll need to do so quickly to get the best out of Martin.

But, if new coach Adem Yze decides a longer rebuild is on the cards, then Martin's spot in the side drops significantly in value.

"(Richmond should ask) 'Do you still want it?' Otherwise, 'could we spend our money more wisely next year, when we're going to the bottom?'," Lloyd said.

Caroline Wilson weighed in on the possibility that Martin could end his career at another club.

Footy Classified is now available as a podcast! Subscribe/follow via Apple, Spotify or Google Podcasts

Earlier in the year, there were suggestions the premiership hero could eventually head up north at the end of 2024, to join former Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at the Gold Coast Suns.

However, Wilson believes the 32-year-old is beyond a move, fearing it will tarnish his reputation.

"Clearly he'll get to 300 (games), then he's got a big decision to make (on his career)," Wilson said.

"Dustin Martin knows that his brand is going to be significantly improved if he's a one club player.

"He's of no use to the Gold Coast."

Kane Cornes says it is time for the legend to hang up the boots.

"It's the perfect time for him to retire, have a great victory lap for the second half of the year, get to 300 and then go out," he said.

"He doesn't want to play in a team we saw lose to one of the worst teams we've seen ever (West Coast in round five)."

The Tigers have started their season 1-5, with Martin only just returning to the senior side in round four after suffering a corked calf at the start of the season.

He collected 13 disposals and kicked a goal in the Tigers' round five loss to the Eagles.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024-dustin-martin-richmond-carrer-matthew-lloyd-gold-coast-suns-damien-hardwick/e958d9eb-417a-4756-a82a-135ef695419b

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6605 on: April 16, 2024, 08:59:43 AM »
Lloyd is dumb as dogshit and Karen is a stuffen campaigner. Both of em can sux a dik

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6606 on: April 19, 2024, 04:20:44 AM »
Heard a rumour yesterday from someone evidently in the know that Dusty hasn’t spoken to Yze for 3 weeks … but who really knows??

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6607 on: April 19, 2024, 07:08:21 AM »
Heard a rumour yesterday from someone evidently in the know that Dusty hasn’t spoken to Yze for 3 weeks … but who really knows??

He's a man of few words  :lol

In all seriousness that would be very sad.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6608 on: April 19, 2024, 07:45:49 AM »
Remember no one is bigger then the club !.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6609 on: April 19, 2024, 08:21:00 AM »
Probably rubbish

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6610 on: April 19, 2024, 12:50:49 PM »

The end in near . In 20 years we will be celebrating his greatness- No one will remember the decline.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6611 on: April 19, 2024, 01:40:01 PM »

The end in near . In 20 years we will be celebrating his greatness- No one will remember the decline.

I still watch his YouTube highlights at work sometimes after lunch when my testosterone is peaking and I'm randy.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6612 on: April 19, 2024, 03:42:31 PM »

I still watch his YouTube highlights at work sometimes after lunch when my testosterone is peaking and I'm randy.

I remember my Fremantle mates texting me after the 2020 GF finally conceding that Dusty was better than Fyfe 😂😂
Unleash the tornado

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6613 on: April 19, 2024, 05:28:24 PM »
I find that very difficult to believe.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6614 on: April 19, 2024, 05:45:11 PM »
Not true at all :shh