Author Topic: Hail Cambo – a true Tiger champ (RFC site)  (Read 1944 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hail Cambo – a true Tiger champ (RFC site)
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:23:33 PM »
Hail Cambo – a true Tiger champ
12:44:28 PM Thu 25 August, 2005
Sean Callander
richmondfc.com.au

To put the length of Wayne Campbell’s career into perspective, his first game was against a club that no longer exists, at a ground no longer used as an AFL venue.

Campbell, who makes his 297th and final appearance for Richmond in this Sunday’s Round 22 match against Geelong at Skilled Stadium, made his debut for the Tigers against Fitzroy in Round 5, 1991 at Princes Park.

Two survivors from Richmond’s last premiership side – David Cloke and Dale Weightman – also pulled on the Yellow and Black that day.

Since then, Campbell has amassed a list of achievements that ranks with the greats of Tigerland – four Best and Fairests, two All-Australian guernseys, and the Club captaincy from 2001-04.

The year before he joined the Tigers, in 1990, the 17-year-old Campbell celebrated a senior premiership with Golden Square in the Bendigo Football League. Sadly, he has not added to that tally in the ensuing 15 years.

But Campbell has made an indelible mark on the Richmond Football Club, its supporters and (as you can see below) those who’ve had the chance to coach or play alongside him during his AFL career:

Kevin Bartlett (coached Campbell in his debut game for Richmond in 1991):

“At the time we were keen to bring in talented players, and it was around this time that Wayne joined us, along with guys like Craig Lambert, Matty Knights, Tony Free and Brendon Gale. We’d given him a run at Waverley in a practice match with the reserves, but pulled him off and stuck him back for the second half of the senior’s game – such was the impact he made. He went on to make 12 appearances in his first senior year. I remember the day he debuted (against Fitzroy). We brought him on and he lined up against a tall, skinny kid called David Strooper on the wing. Even then, we knew he’d be an exceptional player. He’s played at that same high, consistent level for his entire career, and I donąt think he’s received the recognition he deserves. Whether it’s been playing back, in the midfield, up forward, or in a tagging role, he’s brought the same dedication to the job. He was fairly quiet when he first joined the Club, but there’s always been that strong-willed nature about him; certainly a leader, rather than one who follows. When the Club sits down to write its history, he’ll take up a few pages.”

Brendon Gale (played alongside Campbell for more than a decade, and remains a good friend):

“We first met in 1990 – a long time ago, isn’t it? I remember he came down with a bad haircut, and you can quote me on that! The first game I can clearly recall was at Carrara (Round 10, 1991) when we hung on for a good win. He had a great ability to run and a big motor, and he showed it that day. The next year (1992) he started to play a more prominent role. I think when (coach) Allan Jeans gave him his nod of approval that it gave him a lot of confidence. He just kept finding the footy, kept going and kept creating. He’s never been an extravagant sort of personality and has his interests outside of football, but that’s not to say he isn’t a serious football person. His preparation was always meticulous and he’s always been prepared to take responsibility. His career? One of the things you have to remember about this game is that it is hard and competitive. It’s hard to be consistently good, and it’s even harder to be consistently good year after year. ‘Cambo’ has been incredibly consistent.”

Nick Daffy (played his first game alongside Campbell in 1992, and is best man for his upcoming wedding):

“We hooked up pretty much from day one, when I arrived at the Club in 1992. I didnąt have any accommodation organised, so I was living with Wayne to start with. So many good memories . . . One that sticks out is getting ready before the 1995 State-of-Origin game, with him in his Victorian gear and me for South Australia. He’s always been so competitive, and that’s really rubbed off on me and made me more competitive. He’s also had high expectations and has always got the best out of himself and his footy. He’s always been pretty serious when it comes to his footy and has never suffered fools. At the time, when we were really struggling, we used to joke that sometimes it seemed like he was coach, captain, CEO and finance director, as he always seemed to have something to say – and mostly it was right! We might not have any premierships, but we’re good friends.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=224754

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Hail Cambo – a true Tiger champ (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 06:37:12 AM »
All the best to Cambo in his last game. Although it's going to a tough ask to win down there it would be great if the rest of the boys lift  to give him a fitting farewell.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:28:31 PM »
It was good to see Campbell get a hearty round of applause as he left the traning track this afternoon.

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cambo - Quality man, quality footballer (The Age)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 03:51:03 AM »
Quality man, quality footballer
By Martin Flanagan
The Age
August 27, 2005

TOMORROW, Richmond's Wayne Campbell will drive to Geelong with Matthew Richardson, the player who has been second longest at the club, for his 297th and final game. In the 15 years he has been at Richmond, the Tigers have never won at Geelong.

His mother was disappointed when Campbell was drafted by the Tigers in 1989. The club was in a lull. Campbell, then a year 11 student at Bendigo High, thought this meant that success had to be just around the corner. It wasn't.

Recently he read a series of interviews with Geelong footballers who played in grand finals and lost. He reasons that if he doesn't know what it is to have won a grand final, he doesn't know what it is to have lost one, either.

On Thursday, he showed me around Punt Road. He's proud of the new facilities but says one of the best things the Tigers have is that when you open the door of the training rooms, you're looking at the oval. "It still feels like a footy club," he said with enthusiasm.

He showed me a photograph of former property steward Dusty O'Brien. If anyone sums up Richmond for Campbell, Dusty does. "He was hard, he'd been in the war, he gave his all for Richmond. He kept his thoughts to himself but he knew the blokes who had a go, he knew the blokes who didn't, and you knew if you had his respect or not."

After the property room and the lockers, he showed me the boxing ring and the new pool. In the end, he says, it isn't the desire to play that goes but the desire to do all the things necessary to continue playing. The weights, the boxing, the swimming, the pre-seasons.

Then he took me to the Richmond museum and we talked to curator Ronnie Reiffel in front of a set of cutlery Jack Dyer won in 1936 as a best-and-fairest award in the Victorian Police Football Association.

Campbell has a place in that history as club captain for four years and a four-time winner of the best and fairest. In fact, he went within one vote of also winning it in his first full season at the age of 19.

He says his second coach, Yabbie Jeans, gave him a lot of confidence simply by telling him that, in his opinion, Campbell "could play". "I was surprised he even knew my name."

He won't, when asked, say who was the best of his subsequent coaches. I suspect this is because it's Richmond we're talking about and such a remark could trigger a brawl. Campbell got badly mauled twice through club politics, once when a dispute with then coach Jeff Gieschen led to him considering leaving the club and, second, when he replaced a player popular with supporters, Matthew Knights, as captain.

As a footballer, Campbell has been misunderstood. Because he played with a poker face, people didn't see the passion that is immediately obvious when you talk football with him. Doug Vickers, who recruited him to the club, says what a lot of people don't see is his intelligence.

Vickers, now a headmaster in Bairnsdale and coach of Wy Yung, says "he was always two possessions ahead of the play. He'd give it to you because he could see who you could give it to".

On Thursday, I asked Campbell a few questions about football and he asked me a few about journalism. One of the ways I first noticed him was through his newspaper writing, which I thought both articulate and considered.

When the matter was still in dispute, he came out against football racism and no Richmond footballer's name elicits a fonder response from him than that of Andrew Krakouer. Campbell made it his job to welcome him to the club. Of Campbell, Krakouer said: "His football record speaks for itself, but he's also a real good man."

The two things Campell valued most this week were a text message from Scottie Turner, Richmond's full-back from the mid-90s. "Everyone'll tell you Scottie Turner's a good bloke." Turner's text read: "Well done. My shout."

And he valued a letter from a rookie who didn't make it, thanking him "for the conversations". Campbell's a natural leader. People in the know, such as former champion and club official Flea Weightman, will tell you that.

Campbell, like Nathan Buckley, is an enthusiast for Australian football. I asked him to tell me a moment when he knew it was a great game. He nominates an incident at Waverley in 1992 when, from a wrap of Carlton arms, Weightman sent a handpass behind an opponent's head to Campbell running past, who goaled.

When reminded of it, Weightman said: "He was good enough to be in the right place." He describes Campbell as "a quality bloke who played quality footy". Vickers sees him as having been Richmond's Craig Bradley. Weightman wonders if the fact he wasn't in the old Richmond knock-'em-down mould told against him with supporters.

Campbell says the best thing about footy is the humility it teaches you. Your first 50 games you play for yourself, he says, then you start playing for the team. When he started, the satisfaction was in kicking a goal.

By the end, his satisfaction was in giving the ball to a young player and watching him do it.

He marries Sarah Johnson in November. Outside having a family, he can't imagine anything more exciting than playing league footy. He'll go to his last game with Richo and come home with Richo. Then on Monday, he will start finding out what it means to be retired from the game he is glad to have played for so long.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/08/26/1124563031815.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers seek fairytale for Campbell (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:52:51 AM »
Tigers seek fairytale for Campbell
27 August 2005   
Herald Sun
Michael Horan

RICHMOND has conceded it can't make the finals, but it will go to Geelong tomorrow seeking another fairytale win.

Mathematically, it could snatch eighth spot if Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs all lost, and the Tigers not only beat the Cats at Skilled Stadium for the first time in 15 years, but win by more than 15 goals.

That's not going to happen.

Richmond would love to send Wayne Campbell into retirement with a victory, as it did last week for Mark Graham.

Coach Terry Wallace conducted the side's short training session at Punt Rd yesterday, at the end of which Campbell was applauded off the ground.

"We're having our last training session here for the year and that's the way we expect it to be. We're really going down to Geelong to honour Wayne in his last game and to see how far we've come," Wallace said.

"Mark Graham got a fairytale finish last week, (but) we know that fairytales don't happen all the time.

"All the guys need to do is be able to look him in the eye at the end of the game and say that they gave everything they had. That's all they can do, the result will look after itself.

"Realistically, the opposition is playing for a home final, but against that they've got to keep their bodies in check for what they've got to do the following week, but we've got six months off.

"We've got nothing to lose. We don't really believe we can make the finals, so there's no pressure on us. We'll just go out and have a good crack at it. Play with some freedom, hopefully.

"We humiliated ourselves in Round 1 against the Cats at the MCG. This is a good opportunity to see where we're at."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16395340%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 04:17:35 AM »
It was good to see Campbell get a hearty round of applause as he left the traning track this afternoon.

Vickers, now a headmaster in Bairnsdale and coach of Wy Yung

Is Vickers a spotter for us? A big coincidence that's Dean Polo's home town. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo farewells "Tanklepuss" lol (The Age)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 03:46:55 AM »
Farewell to Tanklepuss
By Matthew Richardson
The Age
August 28, 2005

Tiger favourite Wayne Campbell has had almost as many nicknames as he has played matches.

IT'S a long time ago, but a few things stick in the memory from my first AFL pre-season back in the summer of 1992: John Northey, in his first season as Richmond coach, was keen to make an impression and was flogging us on the training track; getting a lift home from training from one of my childhood heroes, Dale Weightman; and the blokes who trained with that extra bit of intensity in an effort to improve themselves.

Wayne Campbell, in his third season at Punt Road, was one of those guys. Cambo, Craig Lambert, Tony Free, Matthew Knights: they were the ones setting the standard, and the ones it was pretty clear were worth following if you wanted to succeed.

Wayne has maintained that standard and intensity ever since.

Of course, the other thing that stood out about Wayne way back then was his really special haircut. That vicious part down the middle, the short back and sides. Can't be too critical of it, though, because he wasn't the only one — I had a shocker, too. Not long after that, Wayne, Nick Daffy and I decided we'd have a crack at growing the hair long. In hindsight, history would suggest that we might have made a fairly massive error.

After Wayne announced his retirement a few weeks ago, the old photos resurfaced and he's been copping heaps. For each one of them, the boys at the club have dished out a fine. That's $50 for each sighting of that long haircut.

Back in those early years there was a group of us who were about the same age and had similar interests. Guys like Daff, Ash Prescott, Matty Rogers, Duncan Kellaway and Benny Gale (even though he was a bit older!) Most of us lived in or around North Carlton and hung out together away from footy. Of course Wayne moved south of the Yarra when his pub, the Swan Hotel in Richmond, took off and started bringing in a bit of extra coin.

We became a really tight group on and off the field, and although Wayne leaves the game today without the one thing every footballer ultimately wants to achieve — a premiership — he also leaves it with a fantastic bunch of friends who will be mates for life.

After this afternoon's game, Cambo will make the drive back from Geelong with a career of 297 matches behind him. But I reckon he's reached the 300 milestone in terms of nicknames. He's had more nicknames than anyone I know. It went from Wayne, to Wayno, to Cambo. There was Warren for a while there, which then became Worzel and then Wokka or Wok. Then Wamo, the Amazing Wamo and Wizard. He was Lord Campbell for a short time. This season he's been The Wok Tank, which became Tank, then Tanklepuss (don't ask, I don't know). I'm sure the nicknames will evolve further.

He's taken all of these nicknames in his stride, which is a reflection of his ability not to take himself too seriously. Once you get to know Wayne, he's got a really dry sense of humour, which has given us plenty of laughs over the years. He doesn't suffer fools, but once you get to know him, he's incredibly loyal. He thrives on a good-natured argument and many a lunch has been enjoyed doing just that. He's also strong-willed. If he believes in something, he'll defend his position to the hilt.

Those are some of his strengths as a person, but there is also to plenty to admire in his qualities as a footballer. For 15 years he has epitomised consistency and durability. Apart from when he did his Achilles (which limited him to nine games in 2003), he's hardly missed any footy.

A lot of that comes down to his professionalism, the way he's prepared himself, leaving nothing to chance. Even this year when he was asked to play a different role, on and off the bench, he's still maintained his impact on games. Having seen more of him up close in the forward line, I've come to have an even greater appreciation of his footy smarts. He doesn't waste the ball, doesn't panic. From a set play he invariably waits, then chooses the right option.

Here's something that should give you a fair idea of how solid Cambo has been over his career: he's had seven coaches in 15 years, and each of them has seriously rated him. Kevin Bartlett gave him his first game. Allan Jeans gave him the self belief that he was a good player and threw him into the midfield. Wayne then won best-and-fairest awards under Northey, Robert Walls, Jeff Gieschen and Danny Frawley (who appointed him captain, something Cambo rates as a career highlight). And Terry Wallace thought enough of him to ask him to play on next season.

Cambo captained the Tiges for four seasons, and was really well suited to the role. He took over in 2001 from a favourite son, Matty Knights, in slightly awkward circumstances, but then proceeded to lead Richmond to its first finals series in six years.

As a leader he developed relationships with the young blokes, and made a concerted effort to get involved in day-to-day stuff with them. Little things that mean a lot to young players, such as getting out for a meal and discussing how they were going, and getting to know them away from the footy club environment.

By the same token, he was quick to make sure they didn't get carried away. He is one of the first to bag blokes for getting ahead of themselves or doing something stupid in the media. He was pretty quick to let Kayne Pettifer know what he thought of his singing on The Footy Show's "Screamers" segment. Not bad when you consider that just about every time Cambo goes to see a live band he pesters them until they let him get up and sing. He especially fancies having a crack at Wonderwall by Oasis … and murders it every time.

Today, when Cambo plays his final game for the yellow and black, he will be remembered for all of the above reasons. But perhaps, most importantly, he will be remembered for the loyalty and care he showed for his club. Ultimately, he has been an outstanding contributor for his entire career to the club he has supported all his life. Forget the 300 club, that's just a figure. He deserves to be right up there with the Richmond players who have reached that milestone: Kevin Bartlett, Jack Dyer and Francis Bourke.

And it will certainly be weird to rock up to pre-season training in November and not see him there.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/08/27/1124563067345.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Richo farewells "Tanklepuss" lol (The Age)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »
Farewell to Tanklepuss
By Matthew Richardson
The Age
August 28, 2005

After this afternoon's game, Cambo will make the drive back from Geelong with a career of 297 matches behind him. But I reckon he's reached the 300 milestone in terms of nicknames. He's had more nicknames than anyone I know. It went from Wayne, to Wayno, to Cambo. There was Warren for a while there, which then became Worzel and then Wokka or Wok. Then Wamo, the Amazing Wamo and Wizard. He was Lord Campbell for a short time. This season he's been The Wok Tank, which became Tank, then Tanklepuss (don't ask, I don't know). I'm sure the nicknames will evolve further.

roflfmaooooo@Tanklepuss

Weenie, Wan Kampbell and The Soup were the best ones.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richo farewells "Tanklepuss" lol (The Age)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 07:46:33 PM »
roflfmaooooo@Tanklepuss

Weenie, Wan Kampbell and The Soup were the best ones.

Moi's got that one copyrighted  ;D.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 09:57:47 PM »
WTF IS TANKLEPUSS? hahahahahaha Ive just died of laughter ahahahahahahaha

To me he will always be the Statemans.....for the time he was not included in the State Squad and he kicked up a stink about it. 2 weeks they invited him in after 2 BOGs in a row....

Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No Campbell fairytale (herald-sun)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 06:37:05 AM »
No Campbell fairytale
29 August 2005   
Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

WAYNE Campbell ended his stellar 297-game career yesterday without a win at Geelong.

The Tigers were unable to produce a fairytale send-off like Mark Graham's last week for their former skipper, although they at least went as close to winning as Campbell had ever experienced at Kardinia Park.

"The last time we won down here was in 1990 and it was Stuart Maxfield's first game," Campbell said. "I wasn't here because I didn't start until 1991 but we haven't played here that much recently, not since 2001.

"Before that Gary Ablett used to beat us by himself and once he retired we didn't seem to play down here that much."

Campbell, who was one of Richmond's best with 24 disposals, nine marks and one goal, thought there was still a couple of minutes to go when Troy Simmonds goaled at the 26-minute mark of the final term to cut the margin to one point. The siren sounded 41sec later.

The 32-year-old, who plans to get married and travel overseas next year, said he was still waiting for the reality that he would never play football again to hit home. "I don't know how I feel," he said. "I have been waiting for three weeks for it all to whack me in the head, but it hasn't just yet."

He described the atmosphere in the rooms before the game as special, and one he will cherish.

"They (the players) have all gone out of their way to make it that way," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16414297%255E19771,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 07:51:15 AM »
Anyone else shed a tear when Cambo left the ground? :'(