Author Topic: Tigers should relive past glories, says Jewell (Age)  (Read 882 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers should relive past glories, says Jewell (Age)
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Tigers should relive past glories, says Jewell

Jon Pierik
     The Age
    April 30, 2014

Richmond's last premiership coach Tony Jewell has urged the Tigers to revisit footage of last year's major wins to snap them out of their funk.

Jewell said he had noticed the "urgency" had returned to the Tigers on Sunday despite an 11-goal crunching from Hawthorn, but says the players need to watch the exciting, quick style of last year when they regularly played on after a mark to help them prepare for a crucial clash against Geelong on Sunday.

The Tigers are one of five teams with two wins but, according to club great Matthew Richardson, can still make the finals, for he believes as few as 11 wins will secure a berth in September.

Jewell, the Tigers' 1980 premiership coach, said Hardwick, contracted until the end of 2016, would be feeling the strain after an indifferent start, having enjoyed 15 wins last season.

"You do feel it. They have increased his contract but you would be feeling it. No one likes losing and the press start putting heat on you," he said.

"You certainly as a coach can't get down, you have to be positive but I really do think they will turn it around.

"If it was me, I would be showing them a few clips of the good games of last year. If they went back and had a look at how they played last year in the good wins, go and watch those and take something out if it. You don't lose that overnight. You can lose confidence but you don't lose ability.

"Whether they just felt they were going to turn up this year, and it was all going to happen, so they got a bit complacent, I don't know. You have to be there to know."

Jewell said he backed Hardwick but does not agree with the club's recycled recruiting philosophy. The Tigers have a league-high 13 players from other clubs on their list.

"His record is good. Every year we have improved but I don't like the idea of having 13 blokes who have been at another club and haven't made it there and have to come to us. But they have explained that by saying the draft choices have been thin because of the two new sides," he said.

Hardwick's post-match comments on Sunday, where he pointed to the absence of injured trio Brett Deledio, Alex Rance and Ivan Maric as a reason for the team's struggles, were criticised by Melbourne great Garry Lyon, who labelled the Tigers a "confused footy club".

"It's making excuses for poor performance. I think it's a disappointing page to turn to, to be perfectly honest," Lyon said on Footy Classified.

"Your footy club has got to bat deeper than that, it has got to bat deeper than those three players. In the end, it looked like it [Hardwick's comments] was a concession that we are only as good as those three players. I thought it was a sign of the pressure that is building at Richmond."

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale has said finals remain an ambition, a point Richardson agrees with.

"Obviously, the season hasn’t started the way Richmond would have liked but, given the even nature of the competition, with every team having at least one win on the board, and no-one undefeated after six rounds, there’s still sufficient time for the Tigers to turn their situation around," Richardson said.

"I reckon 11 wins could well get you into the final eight this year, so it’s just a matter of Richmond regaining a bit of confidence, gathering some momentum and stringing a few wins together on-the-trot."

To do that, the Tigers need to regain their dash from half-back, hit targets and also need to kick more than seven goals, as was the problem on Sunday.

"When you watch the game, under pressure, rather than running from defence where they can run and create and have some ball use, they just kicked under pressure," Lyon said.

"Against Hawthorn, you are playing into their hands. Whether they have got the tools to do that, Deledio off half-back is always a bonus, but it doesn't appear to me that they have got either the pace, the skill or the personnel out of the back half."

The expected return of Deledio, the playmaking half-back, from injury will help generate run, while Rance, the key defender, is also set to return. Ben Lennon, the talented utility taken with the club's first pick in last year's draft, 12th overall, will be "close" to a senior debut, according to Hardwick.

In a critique on the Tigers' website, Richardson pointed to North Melbourne's transformation in 2012 as a reason why the team should remain optimistic.

"It’s worth remembering that back in 2012, North Melbourne was obliterated by Hawthorn [by 115 points] at Launceston and looked gone for all money, with just four wins after 10 rounds," he said.

"The Roos, however, recovered to win nine of their next 10 games and make the finals. Against Hawthorn last Sunday, I thought the Tigers at least tried to get the ball moving more quickly, which was a positive. The effort was there - they just need to put together a strong, four-quarter performance. Who knows what could then happen from there."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-should-relive-past-glories-says-jewell-20140429-zr1c8.html#ixzz30HZTi3sH

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers should relive past glories, says Jewell (Age)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
Dial a quote.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
stuff living the past. It aint coming back. Focus on the future.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
"To do that, the Tigers need to regain their dash from half-back, hit targets and also need to kick more than seven goals, as was the problem on Sunday."

Petterd and Morris must go or we might as well stay home

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
Get Tony
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
stuff living the past. It aint coming back. Focus on the future.

:clapping :clapping :clapping Exactly my thoughts!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
I think its important for every club to appreciate and not forget the past, as far as remembering last year though I am not so sure. The RFC need to remember the past, I am talking about the old era. I was speaking to a RFC identity (past player in the era, current commentator) at the airport recently and he said that when he gets asked to speak at RFC functions he is told not to reminisce about the past or bring it up, he is told to speak about the future and current status of the playing group and the positives.

How bad is that, basically being told not to speak about our greatest era....this is the culture problem.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »
Move forward >>>>>>>>>>>>>> train them harder & anyone who dont kick the ball long SACK them

Take a leaf out of Kevin Bartlett's book. Dont over use the ball & if you think they can't do it. Do it yourself. Dont pass the ball to them & kick the bloody goals yourself.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »
It needs to be used in the right context.

Say if it was in the Chapman context ie. We're never losing to this mob (Hawks) ever again then yes by all means use the past as motivation

but....if it's "oh we made the finals we're on the top of the world" then that's poo mentality.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
Ah yes that old chestnut, keep wheeling out the 67-80 Premiership heroes and all the motivational To,my and GR speeches. Add to that some unseen footage of Sheeds and Bartlett in the Windy Hill changerooms in 74 having all the orange cordial whilst Mal Brown and a few others give the salute to the Windy Hill faithful and lets not forget Laurie Fowler knocking out The Esanda embezzler himself.

Aah yes great memories. What are we effen St Kilda and Barry Breen's wonky kick being their most defining moment?

As great as they are Tigers get of your effen butts, rollup your sleeves, get out there and be the best team you can be and create some new ones for the AFL era. Some that those of us born in the 70's who were too you to remember the Glory Years find some lasting memories with something more recent.

Ah the cynical in me seeing the club try their hand at gentle persuasive behaviours to try and calm the angry RFC supporter.  Nice try. Go and win on Sunday muppets.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »
Sadly, Mormons took over the club in the late 80s
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »

:lol

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »
That's funny. Bunch of Pansy's.

The young hawks outfit in 2007 started playing what they called "unsociable footy", some commentators were critical of their uncompromising hardness, conceding too may free kicks against that year. That same hard tough young team won a premiership the very next year.

The Tigers play a style I call "lollipop footy."
Other names might be "pansy footy", "softc0ck footy" or "limpwristed footy"

Bunch of limpwristed, softy, Pansy's!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

The young hawks outfit in 2007 started playing what they called "unsociable footy", some commentators were critical of their uncompromising hardness, conceding too may free kicks against that year. That same hard tough young team won a premiership the very next year.

What's happened to the uncompromising Hardwick we all were so happy to welcome to the club?  Gone soft in his old age?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »

What's happened to the uncompromising Hardwick we all were so happy to welcome to the club?  Gone soft in his old age?

YBB, please dont give Mr Tigra any more excuses to discuss tigeritits.