Author Topic: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Brisbane @ Brighton Homes Arena, Sun. Sept. 3  (Read 2779 times)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Brisbane @ Brighton Homes Arena, Sun. Sept. 3
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2023, 10:45:30 PM »
God political correctness has gone off the scale. It really is hard enough to watch mens games nowdays yet alone watching a load of wanna be shiela's playing their unskilled slow crap.

Nothing against the girls here but its god awful to watch. I for one will not be watching them again for another big chunk of years.

Before all those fools with daughters get on their high horse yes i too would support my daughter if she played and it would be great she played but lets call it what it is. A very lo standard and hard to watch.
But you did watch it, right?  And you'll watch it again, just to reassure yourself that you were right.  Every time you watch it you will come in here moaning about how poor it is ... so now we will all expect plenty of moaning from you, as is usual.   
But if the girls were any better you wouldn't have anything to complain about ...   :rollin 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2023, 11:50:11 PM »
Great win for the girls

Sorry to be negative though
There are girls in the team that are fat
I’m not talking slightly out on skinfold tests, I mean genuinely unfit and fat

If they want to be taken seriously like the men, this has to improve in time

I understand they aren’t paid like professional athletes, but for goodness sakes, try and be fit at least

One thing I know for sure , if a male AFL player looked the same, there would be photos everywhere and he would be getting shamed

You're right.

I know they'll never have the same physiques as the men but some of them were too big in the wrong spots, clearly.

I'm no expert on ladies fitness but yeah it looked that way.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2023, 12:15:02 AM »
Great win for the girls

Sorry to be negative though
There are girls in the team that are fat
I’m not talking slightly out on skinfold tests, I mean genuinely unfit and fat

If they want to be taken seriously like the men, this has to improve in time

I understand they aren’t paid like professional athletes, but for goodness sakes, try and be fit at least

One thing I know for sure , if a male AFL player looked the same, there would be photos everywhere and he would be getting shamed

The girls game is a little like 90’s styles footy so you’re going to see more positional play and it pays high dividends to have a Lockett type up forward near the goalsquare.
But your mids and wingers will be super fit.

It’s best not compare it to the  blokes game at all. Just take it for what it is and you’ll enjoy it more.
The W league is getting better with every year and I have really enjoyed the progression I’ve seen each year.
The girls are awesome and I’m expecting a really great year from our team. We have some real weapons on every line.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2023, 12:55:30 AM »
Fantastic win from the girls. I think it will help instill a heap of confidence in what they are going can achieve this season. It looks as though we’ve really built a strong team on every line. Our midfield is super strong with Seymour, Conti, Egan and McKenzie.  Our defence is super strong with Miller, Sheerin, Mclelland, Graham, Lynch and I really like Cox in defence too I think she’s going to be great asset this year especially with her skill by foot.Dempsey had some real impressive passages off half back and wing and I can see her having a great season ahead as she looks super fit.

Up forward we have found some more avenues than just Brennan/Wakefield. Greiser looks to be an excellent replacement for Wakefield and it looks as though Jones is going to be a great addition for us too.
I like the fact that Conti will be spending some rest time up forward as she’s unstoppable and oozes class in everything she does.

Our pressure was pretty good after that first quarter domination from the lions but after we increased pressure we got on top. Our clearance work looks to have improved with the stacked quality mids and will only improve when Sarah Hosking hopefully returns next week.

McDonald seems to have improved and she’s absolutely fearless. Reid also looks to have improved on her already impressive improvement from late last season.

Only Poppy Kelly our only real worry as she doesn’t seem to have improved in any way. I’d rather see how Pearce goes so we can have a decent replacement so Gabby Seymour can have a decent rest.

A little bit rusty early on but once we got our game going we looked to be the better team for most of the game. The signs looks really positive for us and we just beat the grand final team on their home deck. This is a great start and I’m very excited about the season ahead.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2023, 07:19:27 AM »
Agree your comments around Poppy Kelly. I too was disappointed

I was hoping with a full pre-season and no injuries she'd dominate when she went into the ruck but she didn't.  It was the opposite really. She gave a couple of really silly frees.

We need someone who can give Gsbby Seymour a decent chop out as well as if need be release Gabby to go forward or back
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
Agree your comments around Poppy Kelly. I too was disappointed

I was hoping with a full pre-season and no injuries she'd dominate when she went into the ruck but she didn't.  It was the opposite really. She gave a couple of really silly frees.

We need someone who can give Gsbby Seymour a decent chop out as well as if need be release Gabby to go forward or back
totally agree WP.

Have you seen Pearce? Surely she’s better than Kelly? 

And how did you like Cox’ game? 

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2023, 11:37:45 AM »
God political correctness has gone off the scale. It really is hard enough to watch mens games nowdays yet alone watching a load of wanna be shiela's playing their unskilled slow crap.

Nothing against the girls here but its god awful to watch. I for one will not be watching them again for another big chunk of years.

Before all those fools with daughters get on their high horse yes i too would support my daughter if she played and it would be great she played but lets call it what it is. A very lo standard and hard to watch.

I have two daughters and one of them plays

Yet, I still agree with your entire post

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2023, 12:25:56 PM »
totally agree WP.

Have you seen Pearce? Surely she’s better than Kelly? 

And how did you like Cox’ game?

I'm a huge Cox fan. She showed last year she has great courage,  never shirks a contest and sometimes although she plays against bigger stronger girls she hates being beaten. And I love that

Needs to clean up her disposal because at times it us heart in the mouth stuff but it will cone in time. She's only 13 games into her career

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2023, 04:29:07 PM »
The Tigers' forward line can stand up without Wakefield

A few adjustments were required in Richmond's forward line over the off-season with the retirement of All-Australian Courtney Wakefield, but it all came together in the Tigers' narrow win over Brisbane. Captain Katie Brennan stood up with two goals, while Emelia Yassir and Monique Conti each hit the scoreboard. But it was new recruits Courtney Jones and Caitlin Greiser who helped to carry the load in attack, each kicking a goal in their Tigers debut and having a real presence throughout the game. They will only further develop their chemistry as the season wears on, but they're already starting in a strong position.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1023444/icymi-r1-swans-break-through-norths-slick-showing-dees-new-era

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2023, 04:30:22 PM »
Coaches' votes (Ferguson & Starcevich)

Brisbane v Richmond

10 - Monique Conti (RICH)
7 - Katie Brennan (RICH)

5 - Dakota Davidson (BL)
4 - Kate Dempsey (RICH)
3 - Ellie McKenzie (RICH)

1 - Catherine Svarc (BL)

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1024515/coaches-votes-r1-bri-davey-one-of-six-perfect-10s-in-round-one

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2023, 08:10:00 PM »
The first round of the 2023 NAB AFLW season saw interchange caps introduced for the first time.

Sitting at a limit of 60 – with a free kick and a 50m penalty to be paid if that cap is exceeded – teams had to think hard about how often they swung changes.

Interchanges made between quarters do not count towards the tally of 60.

... much more established sides in Brisbane and Adelaide made plenty of [inter]changes, sitting at 57, with Richmond topping the pack at 58 – Mon Conti's final-minute interchange with calf cramp pushing the Tigers to first spot.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1024875/by-the-numbers-how-each-club-adapted-to-new-interchange-rules-in-r1