Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 46420 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Josh Gibcus [merged]
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2024, 12:39:24 AM »
Every AFL club’s pre-season player to watch

Ben Cotton and Max Laughton
Fox Sports
February 15th, 2024

RICHMOND

Josh Gibcus

After missing all of last year with an ongoing hamstring injury, Gibcus, one of Richmond’s most important players – both for now and the future – will make his long-awaited return to the field. The Tigers’ next wave of players stepping up will be crucial to the club’s fortunes in 2024 in a new era under Adam Yze, and Gibcus, Pick 9 in the 2021 AFL Draft, is probably the most important of their young crop. Set to hold down a key defensive post, Gibcus also gives the club flexibility to reshuffle its magnets, like Noah Balta’s mooted move forward. Perhaps most importantly, Tigers fans would want to see what sort of physical condition Gibcus is in and if he looks ready to man some of the best power forwards in the competition.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-players-to-watch-at-every-club-over-the-preseason-breakout-players-recruits-draftees-latest-news/news-story/9a6043c2b06b3a35bf63d45ed66de1f0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2024, 09:06:31 PM »
“WORKED ABSOLUTE WONDERS”: FORGOTTEN TIGER FULLY HEALED

Seb Mottram
SEN
16 February 2024

Josh Gibcus is set to reprise his position in Richmond’s back six after returning from an overseas trip that has “worked wonders” on a dodgy hamstring, according to his teammate Nathan Broad.

Gibcus hasn’t played since the 2022 Elimination Final, a season where he burst onto the scene after being taken with a top 10 draft pick the year prior.

The now 20-year-old had his 2023 campaign corrupted by a hamstring injury, leaving him searching for answers.

Those answers came in Qatar, where Gibcus went post-season alongside Tigers physiotherapist Anthony Schache,

Now, he’s set to reap the rewards.

“He’s going awesome, Josh,” Broad told SEN WA Breakfast of his younger teammate.

“He went to Qatar with our head physio in the break and I don’t know what they did to him but it’s worked absolute wonders. He’s flying around the track and he’s making my life a hell of a lot easier having him down there.

“He’ll run around this Sunday against the Dees which is super exciting for the club but also for Josh, it’s obviously been a long road in the rehab group and everyone is excited for him to get a red hot crack at it.”

Gibcus’ initial hamstring grief revolved around a tendon issue that eventually required surgery. Further setbacks meant he wasn’t able to play any professional football in 2023 after 18 games in his debut season.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/16/worked-absolute-wonders-forgotten-tiger-fully-healed-the-latest-on-lynchs/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2024, 04:30:47 PM »
Josh Gibscus (RICHMOND)

He took an intercept mark within the first minute to give him confidence after missing last season following hamstring surgery. He had a good battle with Van Rooyen.

Source: The Age.

Gibcus return went to plan

Tigers fans would have been happy to see gun youngster Josh Gibcus back out there.

The 20-year-old defender, who missed all of 2023 with hamstring problems, took some nice marks in defence and appears to returned in good order.

His presence alone was a nice sight but the fact he played well was even sweeter for the yellow and black.

Source: SEN.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2024, 05:23:09 PM »
Considering the seriousness of epwhat he is coming back from it was a really good performance

Didn't looked worried about the hammy. There was a leap for a mark in the 3rd I think it was where although he didn't take it when he hit the ground he bounced straight up and he went to the next contest.

Great signs
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2024, 09:55:35 PM »
Kid can play. When Lynch is back i still think for the first half of the season Young and Balta play kpp and Gibcus gets Grimes third tall spot.
And no thats not being disrespectful to Grimes i think its time we looked to the future.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2024, 09:48:26 PM »
Gibbo in defence and getting through unscathed was a rare positive from tonight.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2024, 10:47:43 PM »
Will be an even better defender than Rance....and probably a better forward than Balta... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2024, 08:54:17 PM »
Tim Livingstone just said it's a suspected ACL  :'(. Will go for scans tomorrow.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2024, 08:57:03 PM »
Gonna be a really rough recovery for the young man. There is light at the end of the tunnel though and he needs to look no further than grimes… riddled with injuries in his early days and managed to come back.

In terms of his replacement I’m really worried balta will get thrown back and Kosi forward. Young is barely a kpd so without gibcus who isn’t really a kpd either, our defence is stuffed.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2024, 10:14:02 PM »
stuffen cruel game AFL. If the umps don’t stuff us over injuries will.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2024, 10:18:34 PM »
Heartbreak for the kid & club.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2024, 10:49:09 PM »
Really sad for him. I hope it's not an ACL but it doesn't look promising at all.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2024, 10:50:05 PM »
Genuinely gutted.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2024, 11:36:05 PM »
More depressing than the loss, ruined the night and the season for me....woulda still be as peeed off even if we'd won.... >:(
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2024, 06:52:07 AM »
Really feel for him. Hope he has a speedy recovery. Rotten luck.