Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 418060 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
I wish we wouldn't compare our players to others especially a Judd even though Cotch is a super talented footballer. Let's make Cotch the one and only Trent Cotchin and hopefully have others comparing players to him instead in 5-10 years time.

Your right there MT  - Cotch is Cotch - this dude will be a gem

Sorry if I am being

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
royal is just stating the obvious
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
Talent opens doors and then the hard work starts
Nathan Buckley | August 2, 2008

GREAT footballers come in all shapes and sizes.

They also come at all ages. Both of these criteria were evident during the week as I watched the AFL under-16 championships on the Gold Coast.

The raw skill, flashes of hardness and intensity of the young men on show were a window into prospective careers in the game. Some of them will be household names in a few years.

At the same carnival in 2006, Trent Cotchin attended as a starry-eyed talent looking to test himself against the best of his age. In 2005, now Carlton teammates Matthew Kreuzer and Bryce Gibbs did likewise, and a year, earlier "another" Selwood, this time of the Joel variety, represented Victoria.

These four are not the only players to have come through these championships and thrive once introduced to an AFL club environment, but they are representative of the ability of young talent to come into today's game and have an impact from the get-go.

Let's start with Cotchin.

Ask any experienced AFL footballer and he'll tell you that a solid pre-season is crucial to good form throughout the year. Well, not only did Cotchin miss most of the skills and running training after being drafted, but he began his season late, making his debut in round eight against Geelong after a handful of VFL matches to lead in.

Cotchin has displayed remarkable strength and balance in the contest and refuses to lose his feet even under the fiercest pressure. His ability to cover the ground and get to contest after contest has been a standout and the skill and poise he shows with the ball in his hands belies his years.

Rest of article here:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/theres-talent-then-hard-work/2008/08/01/1217097534909.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2008, 09:38:46 AM »
silly comments by royal.
Let the kid play for crying out loud.
already he is comparing him to Chris Judd..I mean how about he just stfu instead of coming out with crap like that.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
Video of Cotch after yesterday's game from the RFC site:

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/72153

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
How about Cotch getting in and out of that traffic on the wing in the first quarter and then nailing a lace out pass to Joel on the lead directly in front 35m out  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
Tiger cub earns his stripes
Mark Smith
Wittlesea Leader
26Aug08

Richmond's Trent Cotchin has a promising future at Tigerland.

HANGING out at the family home in Wollert, Richmond Tigers young gun Trent Cotchin lobs a golf ball into the paddock.

The sport, introduced to him as a child by his grandpa and dad, helps him to relax.

Cotchin admits he has been itching for a hit for months, but the intense regime of an AFL season doesn't leave him with a lot of time.

It's been a huge 12 months for the Tiger cub, who this time last year was busy completing his VCE and dreaming of an AFL career while playing with the Northern Knights.

Taken at number two in last year's AFL draft, then forced to sit out the entire preseason due to a broken foot, the talented midfielder has played every game in the yellow and black since debuting against Geelong in Round 8.

He was the NAB AFL Rising Star Program nominee for Round 12, after amassing 83 disposals and five goals in his first four games.

Assistant coach Brian Royal has already drawn comparisons to Carlton champion Chris Judd, labelling Cotchin's blistering start as the best he's ever seen.

Cotchin smiles at the compliment, but admits he doesn't take too much notice of all the hype.

"I don't read very many newspapers," he says. "I try to steer clear of that and go about my business."

It is wise thinking from the 18-year-old, who has already seen the flipside of the press first-hand when housemate and Tigers captain Kane Johnson was caught urinating in public this year.

He admits the added scrutiny, along with living away from home, are two of the biggest changes he has had to get used to.

"But living with the captain is a big bonus. I get to see how professional he is and how he goes about things. I've also seen how even a slip-up can come back to haunt you.

"But even having to pay your own way and cook for yourself at a new place is a bit different to (coming home to) mum's beautiful meals every night."

He also draws plenty of support from his family, who have surrendered lifelong allegiances with Carlton and Collingwood to join the Tiger army.

"The support my family has given me, not only this year but my whole career, has been fantastic," he said.

Cotchin's family will join him at next Wednesday's NAB AFL Rising Star Award ceremony at the Crown Palladium.

While Hawthorn's Cyril Rioli and Fremantle's Rhys Palmer are the hot favourites, Cotchin remains a good chance to take the honour.

http://www.whittlesealeader.com.au/article/2008/08/26/41701_wpv_news.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: August 29, 2008, 03:06:28 AM »
Voss on Cotchin from today's Age

Cotchin, coming off virtually no pre-season due to injury, had to wait until Round 8 for his debut and has played only 14 games yet could end up having the biggest impact of them all. And he only turned 18 in April.

I spent some time with him as asisistant coach with the AIS squad and he's a star who will be a Richmond captain.

His decision-making is exceptional and his balance likewise.

He's not afraid to work in close but knows where to go to find the easy kick, and he's a midfielder who can go forward and kick goals.

Robert Walls paid him the ultimate compliment when he said: "When he has the ball you take your eyes off him to see its' going".

He's right. It's a complete package.

Voss has predicted Rioli to win the Rising Star Award with Cotch coming 4th..

Rioli is my pick to win the NAB AFL Rising Star Award.

In a hot field for an award to be decided next week on the 5-4-3-2-1 votes of the All-Australian selectors, he gets my vote over Fremantle Rhys Palmer.

I'd go Rioli (5), Palmer (4), Matthew Kreuzer (3), Trent Cotchin (2) and Garrick Ibbotson (1).

Full article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/catch-a-rising-star/2008/08/29/1219516667970.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
Kreuzer 3rd? You have to be joking.
Palmer, Cotchin, Rioli, Ibbotson, Dalziel for me

Con65

« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »
It clearly is a flawed system...Voss puts Kreuz ahead of Cotchin because has played more...wtf

Presumably for that reason Voss didnt mention Dalziel.

The system is weighted against people who get nominated or make their debuts later in the season.  In other words...Cotch's lack of preseason has cost him in this award...similarly Dalziel who is averaging 26 odd possies a game but only has played 6 games is not even mentioned because he only broke into the team recently...

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
cotch has exceeded expectations

if he was 21 he would be captain next year

Winning the rising star actually hurt more than helped lids, cotch has many more important awards and trophies to win in his bright future

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Really getting a nomination is a big enough reward - recognises potential talent. The actual award itself is more about consistency which automatically discounts our Cotch but had Raines finish 2nd if you remember.

The award is no real garentee of future success so for mine, it is meaningless.

We all know Cotch is the standout draftee of 2007 anyway and he will spend the next 10+ years embarrassing the Blues because of it! :D

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »
Palmer will win it IMO (he got a stack of it again against the Pies) but geez his kicking especially on his right is hit and miss. Some of his kicks would make Duncan Kellaway proud lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
Palmer will win it IMO (he got a stack of it again against the Pies) but geez his kicking especially on his right is hit and miss. Some of his kicks would make Duncan Kellaway proud lol.

Palmer will win it but at least we will be content in the knowledge that our bloke has skills that Palmer will never have like KICKING.... :lol

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »
Watching the Dawks versus Carltank and Rioli is carving them up. Might be enough to get him over the line, as well as the fact that he plays in a top team.