Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 418512 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers great reveals impact of coach’s breakup ‘distraction’ (NewsCorp)
« Reply #2910 on: October 29, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »
Tigers great reveals impact of coach’s breakup ‘distraction’

News.com.au
October 29th, 2023 3:18 pm

Trent Cotchin has admitted for the first time there was a rift between himself and his long-term mentor Damien Hardwick after the Richmond coach’s marriage breakdown.

The football club was reportedly rocked when it emerged Hardwick had split from wife Danielle and had started a new relationship with former Tigers employee Alexandra Crow.

It first emerged in December, 2020, that the Gold Coast Suns coach and Danielle had split during the league’s turbulent 2020 season where every club was forced to relocate to a Covid-19 quarantine “hub” in Queensland.

Just days later, it was first reported the club was in turmoil as a result of Hardwick’s relationship with Crow.

Cotchin, who is speaking out about the drama in his new autobiography From The Heart, has now confirmed Hardwick’s new romance caused a divide between the coach and sections of the football club.

As first reported by The Herald Sun, Cotchin writes: “Was it a distraction for the group? In my view, at times it was.

“Did it impact my relationship with Dimma? I would say yes, at that point, 100 per cent.”

He went on to write: “We had built this culture on a platform of family, connection and love – and Dimma and Danielle’s relationship had played a big part in all this – so it was only natural to be worried about the potential fallout”.

Often referred to by the former Tigers coach as “Mrs Hardwick” in press conferences, Danielle had been by her husband’s side through an incredibly successful career in football that included flags as a player with Essendon and Port Adelaide and three more as coach of Richmond.

Danielle was incredibly well-liked at Richmond and was referred to as the “second family” of Cotchin and his wife Brooke in a Christmas Instagram post in 2020.

Danielle broke her silence about the situation nine months later, admitting she was still grieving about the broken marriage.

The couple split after being together for 30 years.

It was a sad sight for many that Danielle did not attend Hardwick’s emotional press conference when he announced his decision to step down as coach of the Tigers earlier this year.

The pair’s three children Ben, Isabelle and Imogen were seated in the front row next to Hardwick’s mum Pam and Crow.

Cotchin now admits the Hardwick scandal played a part in the club’s 2021 season flop where they failed to qualify for the finals after winning the flag 12 months prior.

“I still loved Dimma and still respected him as a coach … but I am not sure my relationship with him ever got back to the level it had been before,” he said.

“For whatever reason, there always seemed to be a bit of a barrier between us. Maybe it wasn’t just the captain and the coach; maybe it was emblematic of the group’s connection that season.

“We didn’t lose the plot in 2021 but if I reflect properly, there just wasn’t the same insane connection between the playing group that had been our suit of armour from 2017 to 2020.”

Cotchin has been dropping several bombs on Hardwick in the book, revealing also a piece of the puzzle on why Hardwick quit in the middle of the season.

The 33-year-old, who retired at season’s end, lifted the lid on the game that proved the catalyst for Hardwick’s shock departure from Tigerland.

Hoping to make one last push for a premiership, Richmond’s one-point loss to Essendon in Round 10 at the MCG all but put an end to those hopes as the Tigers sat 14th on the ladder with just three wins.

Cotchin writes Hardwick ripped into the team while referring to Essendon as a “bunch of spuds”.

Cotchin said Hardwick described Richmond’s performance as “putrid” and said “the way some of us had played meant he would just get “another c*** to replace us”.

On the Monday after the game, Hardwick told Cotchin about his plan to quit as coach and publicly announced his decision on the Tuesday.

Hardwick is now beginning a new chapter on and off the field after signing a monster six-year deal to coach the Suns.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/tigers-great-reveals-impact-of-coachs-breakup-distraction/news-story/94d1a84c9782eff0a6db43ab4f6b45a5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2911 on: October 31, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »
Trent Cotchin's ability to embrace 'imperfection' was the cornerstone of his success as a leader.

So why couldn't he embrace the imperfection of his long-time coach, Damien Hardwick?

Mark Robinson's latest.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/mark-robinson-trent-cotchin-book-reveals-he-couldnt-accept-damien-hardwicks-challenges/news-story/843dbb15fb28373e910756c476d90571

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2912 on: October 31, 2023, 03:48:06 PM »
Trent Cotchin's ability to embrace 'imperfection' was the cornerstone of his success as a leader.

So why couldn't he embrace the imperfection of his long-time coach, Damien Hardwick?

Mark Robinson's latest.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/mark-robinson-trent-cotchin-book-reveals-he-couldnt-accept-damien-hardwicks-challenges/news-story/843dbb15fb28373e910756c476d90571

Because of his missus

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2913 on: October 31, 2023, 04:23:08 PM »
Well well. I was correct after all.  :shh

It has never been the same dynamic since he decided to renege on his vows to his wife.

Who knows how it effected the players (and wags).

Even if it’s on a subconscious level his personal integrity is compromised and his own words lose some of their meaning.

I know you want to believe "he decided to renege on his vows to his wife" and that you base this on media reports regarding on the breakdown down of his marriage

But none of us know what really happened nor do really know what if any impact the situation had on the playing group

Fair to say I disagree with your commentary but you are most definitely entitled to your view

When a team wins premierships it’s never just one thing that makes a premiership team victors but it’s a whole range of little things that make everything fall into place, however their is normally one thing that is the catalyst for change that kickstarts the winning formula. For us it was Mrs Hardwick’s hard truths that her stubborn husband had to hear. 

There have been many questionable things happen at the club that we’ve seen since Hardick decided to renege on the vows he made before God and family. :shh

That one decision and major deceptive betrayal may have just been the catalyst for this whole debacle of a season.  :rollin

Caro is criticised a lot but she was 100% correct about Hawthorn/Clarkson/Mitchell situation.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2914 on: October 31, 2023, 05:25:42 PM »
 :shh

absolutely.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2915 on: October 31, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »

It has never been the same dynamic since he decided to renege on his vows to his wife.

Who knows how it effected the players (and wags).

Even if it’s on a subconscious level his personal integrity is compromised and his own words lose some of their meaning.

I know you want to believe "he decided to renege on his vows to his wife" and that you base this on media reports regarding on the breakdown down of his marriage

But none of us know what really happened nor do really know what if any impact the situation had on the playing group

Fair to say I disagree with your commentary but you are most definitely entitled to your view

When a team wins premierships it’s never just one thing that makes a premiership team victors but it’s a whole range of little things that make everything fall into place, however their is normally one thing that is the catalyst for change that kickstarts the winning formula. For us it was Mrs Hardwick’s hard truths that her stubborn husband had to hear. 

There have been many questionable things happen at the club that we’ve seen since Hardick decided to renege on the vows he made before God and family. :shh

That one decision and major deceptive betrayal may have just been the catalyst for this whole debacle of a season.  :rollin

Caro is criticised a lot but she was 100% correct about Hawthorn/Clarkson/Mitchell situation.

You were right it would seem.

I believed this too for a long time, had some doubt when Pat N said the blokes didn't give a crap, but as a fringe player maybe he wasn't in the inner circles.

Makes complete sense though when you look back. Everything fell apart after 2020.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2916 on: October 31, 2023, 08:28:26 PM »

Really? It that makes you feel good and vindicated, then good for you

I would love to read the entire book rather than excerpt that the media has latched on.

As captain wasn't it in part up to him to make sure it didn't impact on the playing group? No issue with it impacting/upsetting him but surely as Captain he needed to be able to manage that somehow

Personally I'm not fussed either way.

Trent was one on a list of 40 odd. I look forward to reading or hearing what the others thought in the years to come. It has been well documented how close his wife is to Mrs Hardwick. The same wife people have piled on here over what she did in the COVID hub and others excerpts have said that of she had said decided to leave the hub he was going too. Clearly the entore situation impacted him so dramatically because they were so close

Who knows

It is Trent's version and view on the situation and fair enough

It is what it is

Everyone is welcome to their opinion  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2917 on: October 31, 2023, 08:50:32 PM »
I can tell you all that the whole credibility of what the "Richmond Man" stood for was torn apart by Dimma's affair actions. The rot set in immediately.. To be honest I think in time that we will discover that Brendan was relieved he was gone. We love him but he had to go.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2918 on: October 31, 2023, 10:41:25 PM »
"Richmond Man" was always a bunch media spin and rubbish just like "Shinboner Spirit", LMAO at anyone who believed that - and half the list are probably cheating on their women as well - most footy players have more than one iron in the fire, they have to fight 'em off - even McIntosh with his head like robber's dog has a hot missus. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2919 on: November 01, 2023, 09:42:27 AM »
 :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2920 on: November 01, 2023, 12:57:20 PM »
Cotch on MMM's Rush Hour with JB & Billy:

Audio here: https://articles.listnr.com/triple-m/rush-hour-with-jb-and-billy/trent-cotchin-explains-his-comments-surrounding-damien-hardwick/

-----------------------------------------------

Trent Cotchin has revealed the toll of the Damien Hardwick scandal

Trent Cotchin and his wife put Damien Hardwick on a huge pedestal before it all came crashing down around them.

James Dampney
NewsCorp
November 1, 2023 - 11:52AM

Former Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin has delved deeper into the impact Damien Hardwick’s relationship scandal had on him and his young family.

Cotchin’s autobiography, From the Heart, is being released on Wednesday and it has some startling revelations about his 16-year career at Punt Road.

Perhaps the biggest scandal to rock his time at the club was the revelation in 2020 then-coach Hardwick was leaving his wife of 30 years Danielle for a new relationship with former Richmond staff member Alexandra Crow.

Cotchin, who has three children with wife Brooke Kennedy, had previously put Damien and Danielle Hardwick’s relationship on an almighty pedestal and viewed them as a model of the perfect family.

So their marriage breakdown had a profound influence on Cotchin after Hardwick had built the club’s success around the ethos of family and loyalty.

“I think it just created some challenges,” Cotchin said on the Rush Hour with Billy Brownless & Dale Thomas.

“Obviously I love “Dimma” and still have a great relationship with Dimma, along with Danielle and the kids as well.

“I suppose for me it was more just seeing the challenges it created for the family.

“Both Brooke and I looked up to them as, you know, the pinnacle of what the ultimate family looked like.

“That obviously broke down and it’s not like I go into a whole great bit of depth about their relationship and why it broke down or anything like that in the book, because that’s their business, not mine.

“But when you build a footy club based around family and the pinnacle of that is different, it can cause some differences.

“And that was definitely a process that we worked through together and shared a lot of conversations across our time as captain and coach, but also just as mates.”

The 33-year-old played 306 games all with the Tigers, captaining them to breakthrough success with three flags between 2017 and 2020.

Named captain at the age of just 22 in 2013, Cotchin admitted he wasn’t ready.

“You look at all the successful teams and captains around you and most of them are a lot more mature than you are.

“You think you have to be this perfect captain for all the hopes and dreams of the Richmond faithful and I did a s**t job of it to start with, to be completely honest with you.

“But it was an amazing learning curve for me and I woudn’t change it for the world, although I think 22 probably is too young to take on that responsibility.”

The club was also in a terrible state around that time.

“We had lots of possums infesting the club rooms and a sheet separated our gym to our changerooms,” he says.

“Massage and ice baths were all open-air and the rollerdoor was always open so you’d have a cold for the majority of the year because our property steward wouldn’t shut the door.”

The Tigers were rightly feted for their efforts in finally breaking a 37-year premiership drought with that 2017 flag.

But the season prior the club was in disarray, with loud, public calls for Cotchin to be removed as captain.

A group was trying to overthrow the board and Hardwick was under immense pressure to retain his position, with the club finishing a lowly 13th in 2016.

Cotchin said he was in “a pretty dark place” that year and considered quitting.

“The end of 2016 for me was a moment where I genuinely questioned whether I should be the captain of the footy club, whether I wanted to play footy anymore,” he said.

“So I got to a pretty dark place and probably hadn’t shared it with a lot of people other than my wife Brooke and maybe two or three others that were in my circle.

“As captain I thought I didn’t want to burden anyone with the challenges I was going through.

“(The talk was) I was the worst captain, Dimma was a crap coach, he should be sacked, we had a board coup going on at the end of 2016.

“To think about the transformation that happened from ‘16 to ‘17, the enjoyment we had across the year, not just on the basis of winning games of footy but the every day stuff.

“That’s what we talk about today when we get together as a premiership team.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/trent-cotchin-has-revealed-the-toll-of-the-damien-hardwick-scandal/news-story/7c9aed5244e9121b80951451e732883e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2921 on: November 01, 2023, 01:02:32 PM »
Cotch on SEN:

Listen here: https://megaphone.link/NTETP5259703048

----------------------------------------------------------

COTCHIN INSISTS HE HAS A “GREAT RELATIONSHIP” WITH HARDWICK FOLLOWING EYEBROW RAISING BOOK EXCERPT

Andrew Slevison
SEN
1 November 2023

Trent Cotchin insists he retains a very good relationship with his former coach Damien Hardwick.

In an excerpt from Cotchin’s new book - ‘From The Heart’ - it was revealed that the former Richmond captain’s relationship with his three-time premiership coach had somewhat broken down.

This came in the wake of Hardwick’s marriage breakdown with Danielle in late 2020 which threatened to derail the strong connection the club had formed during its run of three flags in four years.

“We had built this culture on a platform of family, connection and love – and ‘Dimma’ and Danielle’s relationship had played a big part in all this – so it was only natural to be worried about the potential fallout,” Cotchin wrote.

“I still loved Dimma and still respected him as a coach… but I am not sure my relationship with him ever got back to the level it had been before.

“For whatever reason, there always seemed to be a bit of a barrier between us. Maybe it wasn’t just the captain and the coach; maybe it was emblematic of the group’s connection that season.”

Speaking on SEN Breakfast on Tuesday morning, Cotchin made it clear that there is no bad blood between he and Hardwick, even after he aired an expletive-laden spray from his mentor during his final game as Richmond coach against Essendon.

The recently-retired 306-game Cotchin merely felt what he and Hardwick had created between 2017 and 2020 had started to shift.

“I have a great relationship with Dimma,” he said.

“Out of respect to him and his family, I know that it’s mentioned in the book, but I’ll leave that to the readers.

“The hardest thing for me when you do put that kind of stuff out there, the headline and so forth that gets attached, as we all know in some forms of media can paint a different picture as to how the story goes.

“There’s no doubt it created some form of distraction. From my personal point of view, I loved both Dimma and Danielle and both Brooke and I looked up to them as a great example of how bringing your kids up looks like and the way that you celebrate family and incorporate them into an organisation and so forth.

“So it was probably a challenge in that sense because it was kind of, from what we saw, the picture was perfect. When that changes it was a distraction, (but) it’s not like there was any judgment from our point of view.

“It was more just the fact that it wasn’t the same as what it used to be.”

Now that he has stepped aside from the game, Cotchin is looking forward to seeing who at Richmond can reinstall the club’s famed connection.

He admits he is excited to watch on as a supporter as the Tigers embark on a new frontier without Cotchin, Hardwick or Jack Riewoldt at the helm.

“Just on the back of what was an amazing period for our footy club over those four years,” he added.

“Then the hub year and everything, I think we just literally got a little bit tired and things became a little bit more challenging which obviously breaks down some of the stuff that you’ve been so strong in.

“That’s probably what I’m excited about now having stepped away from the footy club is seeing other guys stepping up to the plate and putting their spin on things and reconnecting the footy club in the powerful way that we had it going through those dominant years.

“As a supporter now I get to sit back and watch it unfold from afar.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/31/cotchin-insists-he-has-a-great-relationship-with-hardwick-following-eyebrow/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2922 on: November 01, 2023, 03:39:50 PM »
Kane Cornes discusses Trent Cotchin's insight into how Damien Hardwick's divorce impacted the Richmond.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1718904319934951495

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2923 on: November 01, 2023, 05:18:11 PM »

Mark Robinson's latest.

Got to read today's hardcopy of the HUN

Read Robbo's piece. Hate saying this as he writes a lot of nonsense. But he actually makes some very interesting points. It is a very balanced opinion piece TBH
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2924 on: November 01, 2023, 05:57:42 PM »
This whole thing is not about what Trent can or can't accept.  This is entirely about what Brooke can't accept ...
Trent now finds himself in a no win situation - he wants to back Dimma but can't, then he wants to back Brooke but can't.  He wants to condemn Dimma but can't, then he wants to condemn Brooke but finds that he can't do that either ...

There's only one way out of the maze ... stop trying to please everybody!      :-\ 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!