Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 418564 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #465 on: March 11, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
My heart was in my mouth everytime he went near the ball, terrified he is going to get injured before rd 1.

Time to wrap up our future Brownlow medalist in cotton wool.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #466 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
His 2nd and 3rd efforts stand out to me.  Absolutely fearless.   :thumbsup

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #467 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »
Doubts made Trent Cotchin work harder

Matt Windley
    March 28, 2012

WAITING for the first bounce in the Round 1 game against Carlton a year ago, Trent Cotchin had doubts about his standing in the AFL.

Injuries to his achilles and hip had limited his impact in his first three seasons and virtually ruined every summer training campaign.

But when the new Richmond vice-captain heads to the centre tomorrow night, those doubts will be gone.

Two injury-free pre-seasons on the bounce and a career-best year in 2011, in which he won the Tigers' best-and-fairest, have left the 22-year-old more confident than ever.

Where did Mike Sheahan rank Trent Cotchin in the Top 50?

And Cotchin knows his game can only get better.

"For me, I still think I've got definite ground to make up in fitness compared to a lot of elite midfielders in the competition," Cotchin said.

"You can always make your game better in some ways, so I'm always looking for different ways to get better.

"Just look at Chris Judd, he seems to get better every year.

"Last year it was just good to get 22 games into the body and all that does is give you confidence in your body going in to the season following.

"I think when you have the confidence in your body that you can put in a four-quarter effort, you can start to direct and drag guys along with you and that's critical in a young side."

Cotchin said the doubts he felt last year might have pushed his game to a new level.

"I think you always have doubts, but I think if you don't doubt yourself, you never work harder to get to that next level," the midfielder said.

"It was different for me last year. Because I had missed my first two pre-seasons, last year's was my first actual pre-season, even though it was still a bit modified.

"So I probably still had more confidence than I'd had in previous years. Now I've had a full season under my belt as well, and when you've got a good team in and around you, that always gives you that bit more hope and belief."

Cotchin said being appointed vice-captain during the off-season was not an honour, it was a responsibility.

And he didn't shy away from his ambition to captain the Tigers once Chris Newman has retired.

"Chris has done a fantastic job," Cotchin said.

"He went through a tough time when he was first put in to the captaincy role and obviously that helped him grow.

"He's been fantastic for, not only me, but the leadership group and all the younger players at the club. It's definitely something I aspire to be, a leader of the club, and when that time comes, if it comes, I'll grab it with both hands and hopefully make the most of it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/doubts-made-trent-cotchin-work-harder/story-e6frf9jf-1226311773141

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
From the AFL site....
By Paul Daffey
Fri 18 May, 2012

Hardwick has compared Tigers midfielder Trent Cotchin with one of the greatest players of the modern era, former Essendon champion James Hird, for his ability to take the ball below his knees.

Hardwick was a teammate of Hird's at Essendon for eight seasons, from 1994 to 2001.

Hardwick told Access All Areas Cotchin has the potential to become one of the competition's best players.

"Defensively he's got some areas we'd like him to be a little bit better at," Hardwick said.

"But I don't think I've seen a better player - it's a big comment, I know - as clean below his knees and then have the ability to distribute as cleanly as he does.

"He has a Hird-like quality in that area."

Hardwick said Cotchin's ability to get in and out of traffic and make something happen is as good as he's seen in his playing and coaching careers.

He also noted Cotchin's marking ability, which is excellent for a player of his size.

Hardwick said it's this ability that will give him the confidence to send Cotchin to the goalsquare for part of the game against Essendon during the Dreamtime at the 'G game on Saturday night.

Cotchin and fellow midfielder Dustin Martin last week alternated at full-forward during Richmond's 29-point victory over Sydney Swans.

Cotchin ended up goalless but was widely considered to be the best player on the ground through his work on the ball.

Martin kicked one goal.

Cotchin, 22, has played 71 games and kicked 40 goals since making his debut in 2008.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=136201

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #469 on: May 28, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
"Trent Cotchin might make the Blues look silly for taking Matthew Kreuzer at no.1 in 2007."

http://www.bigpondsport.com/eye-of-the-tiger/tabid/91/newsid/88884/default.aspx

Not the first time I've read or heard this today. They asked this question on SEN earlier today too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #470 on: June 02, 2012, 05:07:22 AM »
We keep winning and Charlie could end up around Cotch's neck by the end of year. Elite isn't a strong enough word for the way he's playing now. Cotch is becoming an absolute freak. That once in a generation footballer that as a footy club you'd die for. He's so strong in the hips and has great balance he rarely gets knocked off the ball or loses his feet in traffic and his awareness is out of this world. That 20m handball out of the corner of his eye behind him to Jack on the wing was unbelievable.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #471 on: June 02, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »
he and deledio are our two rolls royces
deledio is locked in long term, must lock in the chimp as well

Tigermonk

« Reply #472 on: June 02, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Brownlow Medallist  :thumbsup

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #473 on: June 03, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
Tigers form no fluke: Cotchin
By Adam Jones
Saturday, June 02, 2012
Source: BigPond Sport

Richmond midfielder Trent Cotchin credits confidence, consistency and big Ivan Maric for the Tigers' stunning about face in the past two weeks.

Richmond edged ever closer to the top eight with a spirited eight-point win over St Kilda on Friday night, capping off a tremendous fortnight after their 10-goal demolition of Hawthorn the previous weekend.

Cotchin, who amassed 29 possessions in the victory, says after a number of honourable losses the Tigers are building the belief needed to carry them into finals calculations.

"We speak about our belief and confidence and how much it's improving each week, but that comes with the ability to implement the game plan we're trying to play, and also to play our role within the side," Cotchin told BigPond Sports Weekend.

"The boys have been really good in sticking to the structures for the whole season, but more so the last month, and we're starting to get the reward for it.

"We played really good footy against Hawthorn last week and probably didn't play to our best last night but got the result in the end, and that's what's required if you're going to play finals footy.

"You see those teams that are always in the top eight, they get the wins even when they are on the back foot. It's a credit to the guys for sticking fat and making sure that we did get the result."

Saints coach Scott Watters attempted to put the heat on the Tigers prior to the game by declaring Richmond's midfield the best in the AFL, a claim which was quickly shot down by opposing coach Damien Hardwick.

Cotchin says talent-wise the Richmond engine-room is "pretty reasonable", but the real key is consistent performances across the board.

"It's just been a matter of gelling together and making sure that we get the best out of each other, and I think that's what we're starting to see," Cotchin said.

"There's been consistent performances from the top players in Dusty (Dustin Martin) and Lids (Brett Delidio), but also the guys who have come from other clubs who are playing their role like (Shaun) Grigg and Bachar Houli and big Ivan.

"They're really starting to have an impact on the group. That's the most exciting thing for us - we've got a real bond within the midfield, but the forward-line and the defensive group are also starting to come together."

Maric has been a revelation since being picked up from Adelaide at the end of last season. The big ruckman had 33 hitouts, 20 disposals and a goal against the Saints, and will press for All-Australian selection if his rich run of form holds.

"He's been outstanding, big Iv. He came across from Adelaide looking for another opportunity and he's grabbed it with both hands," Cotchin said.

"Not only is he performing on the field, but he's a tremendous leader around the club. With the character that he has, he's taken up with some of our younger ruckmen and our younger players who look up to him.

"It's a fantastic story - someone who has lacked opportunity and comes to a new club and is not only taking our team up the ladder, but his name is becoming more and more influential within the AFL."

http://www.bigpondsport.com/tigers-form-no-fluke-cotchin/tabid/91/newsid/89158/default.aspx

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
MACHINE

Gigantor

« Reply #475 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
Best footballer i have seen come through in the last 5 years

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #476 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
id be willing to say 20-25 years.Actually I cant think of anyone id say would be better than him since Rioli, and even then that would be debatable, but they are different types of players.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #477 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Al I should clarify and say best player in the last 5 years in the whole league not just richmond

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #478 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
id be willing to say 20-25 years.Actually I cant think of anyone id say would be better than him since Rioli, and even then that would be debatable, but they are different types of players.

Ricoh and Knights were pretty good over 15 years Al but he is definitely up there
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #479 on: June 03, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
Al I should clarify and say best player in the last 5 years in the whole league not just richmond
You know what....the fact that you really didn't need to clarify that statement, but we still understood it's context, speaks volumes regarding how much we all respect the kid.