Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 924557 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1455 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
Don't worry torch - it will be on the news.  I heard on the radio that hundred of Richmond fans rocked up to training.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1458 on: December 17, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
Just got back from watching training at Punt Rd. The place was chockers  :thumbsup and thankfully the rain stayed away. It's our last main session before the Christmas break so hopefully Cuz will be able to have some peace until the squad returns in the new year.

I'll give a more detail report later but just briefly Cousins trained well. He and Richo did about half the session until they walked off together to massive applause and cheers of "go Richo", "go Cuz", and "go Tigers".

In the rehab group were Petts, Jordie, Newy, Connors, Cotch, Schulz. The rehab guys wore black tops while the rest wore white. Tambo was in a black top but he still did about half the session and looked to be moving fine. No problems running at pace or anything.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

« Reply #1460 on: December 17, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
Just got back from watching training at Punt Rd. The place was chockers  :thumbsup and thankfully the rain stayed away. It's our last main session before the Christmas break so hopefully Cuz will be able to have some peace until the squad returns in the new year.

I'll give a more detail report later but just briefly Cousins trained well. He and Richo did about half the session until they walked off together to massive applause and cheers of "go Richo", "go Cuz", and "go Tigers".

In the rehab group were Petts, Jordie, Newy, Connors, Cotch, Schulz. The rehab guys wore black tops while the rest wore white. Tambo was in a black top but he still did about half the session and looked to be moving fine. No problems running at pace or anything.

Forget Cuz, how did the new rookies look?

:cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1461 on: December 17, 2008, 04:29:51 PM »
Training itself was pretty standard for this time of the year. Footpassing, handballing and marking followed by smaller group drills. The only difference is there would be a massive cheer and round of applause everytime they can near the race to have a drink. Makes a change from the usual 5-10 people who watch training. The news crews were moving through the crowd interviewing Tiger fans on their thoughts. One reporter was even asking if gaining Cousins means a premiership next year. Geez it's only December mate  :P.

The first group drills were footy based ones starting with a stoppage on the wing between two teams of about 7 or 8 players each and then passing to a one-on-one contest inside the forward line. The skill level was very clean and crisp for December. Clean hands even when gathering the footy at pace on the tips of the toes. Jack from memory who was up forward at one stage took a spectacular mark in the tips of his fingers at full stretch  :clapping.

For the next drill the main squad would split into three and they would do more game like activities under the instruction of an assistant coach. Once they finished with one activity the groups would rotate to the next one. The group closest to the fans was run by Cambo and it was handball game where the group would be split into two teams and the attacking team would have to handball their way playing keepings off until they were close enough to handball the footy through a hoop on top a stand. If a player was tackled/touched with the ball then it was an automatic turnover to the other team.

Some individual reports. First the newbies.

Cuz - trained well for his first full on training session with a club in over 12 months or whatever it is. Some fans were getting carried away cheering and clapping every possession he had but he got through the half session he was expected to do successsfully and injury free. He also seemed to gel with the rest of the players as training went along which was good to see.

Browne is a big boy  :o. Just from a size point of view he is virtually readymade. What would have impressed the coaching staff is he is good below his knees for a big kid. He's not a big inflexibile lug who will go missing once the ball hits the ground.

Nahas and Gilligan are slight and short. We'll need to see them in a game environment before judging if they can make it at AFL level. I didn't notice Nahas too much. He might have been in the rehab but I can't remember for sure. Tambo after training drove Gilligan home in his car. Good to see Richie taking care of the Alroy.

Gourdis' kicking technique is still hit and miss when passing to a teammate.

A mate who has been to more training sessions in the last couple of weeks told me he's been very impressed with Thomson.

Now onto some of the others.....

Lids - he's looking the best of out there IMO. Solid as in the upper body and classy as you'd expect.

Browny - a mate I was sitting with thought Browny looked like he could play more in the middle next year. I agreed. It's probably his first full preseason since breaking his leg and he's looking super fit. He and Rainesy had something going on during the handball game. They kept going on with it after a tackle pulling shirts and wrestling on the ground. Nothing too agro or anything like that but they were having fun having a go at and stirring each other.

Cogs moved as well as we've seen him. Still it's how he goes during a match especially once the ball clears out into space that will test whether he is back. I was told the club gets nervous about his knee when he's in pack situations  because he has no fear and just throws himself in there without care for self preservation.

Edwards looks to have added muscle across the shoulders.

Gus  - A friend asked him about his ankle(s) and he said they were fine. "Didn't you see me train out there today" lol.

Rance is another one who is a big boy now. I forgot to say before they also had him in the rebab group IIRC.

Good to Blingers even for half a session train fully. Seems the OP rumour was garbage after all. For the other half of training he trained on his own.

Kingy - Cambo had to give him the hurry up "push" a couple times when he was trailing the others in the handball game as they from one end to the other.

I'll post some photos that I took later on.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1462 on: December 17, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
Thanks heaps MT  :thumbsup

Re Lids, the couple of photos I have seen of him lately has his upper body looking absolutely awesome.  I am excited about Cotch and Cuz but the one I am looking forward to the most is Lids.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1463 on: December 17, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »
I was going to go but I did not wake up till 9.15 and CBF  :-\

How was it lads?
Anyone got a photo of Lids/Cuz/Cotchin together by any chance?  :shh
When is next one?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1464 on: December 17, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
Just one more thing - the buzz around the club and today at training is infectious. It feels like we've woken up and remembered we are a big club with a big following. A bit like '95. Let's hope this time it's not just a fleeting moment and we as a the club make it last.

At the moment we are THE CLUB in Melbourne. LOL at the Pies naming their new captain today because we are getting all the attention. Sorry maggies no one gives a stuff  :lol. There were journos and news crews all over the place at Punt Rd. They were running everywhere from entrance to entrance and inside and outside Punt Rd. Ch 9 had two news FWDs plus another car to cover it all today. They even had one journo rushed by taxi to the door of the Social club to make it. Then we had supporters as complete strangers exchaning mobile numbers and minding different entrances to try and catch Cousins before the press conference. Cuz was snuck in directly between the changerooms/pool buildings to the Social club. It was crazy as.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1465 on: December 17, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
I was going to go but I did not wake up till 9.15 and CBF  :-\

How was it lads?
Anyone got a photo of Lids/Cuz/Cotchin together by any chance?  :shh
When is next one?
Next proper training session is in the new year Bents. I think they are doing one more before the Christmas break but it'll be just them running.

It was just a great day for the club  :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1466 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »
Here's some pics from today's training

Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Gilligan, Jacko, Foley, Rainesy, Tucky and Browny // Postie and Edwards lead the squad to drinks

Cambo speaks to the squad // Edwards (obscured), Gus, Vickery, Gourdis, Morton, Foley, Kingy, Browny and Collo.

Crowd shots

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1467 on: December 17, 2008, 07:42:02 PM »
Thumbnails: - Click to enlarge

Jack and Gilligan // Rawlings, Lids, Simmo, Collo, Thommo (31), Cogs and Sugar

Newy, Cuz, Tambo, McGuane and Kingy // Cuz, Tambo and Schulz

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1468 on: December 17, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »
Some more video of training (mainly Cousins) from the AFL site:

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/96556

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1469 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »
You guys are great, fantastic report and pictures thanks again. Tell me something though please do we have any major injury concerns that will keep any of our players from completing a full pre-season that you have heard? Tambling is obviously ok, what about Thursty, Cotch and anyone else you can think of.

Cheers.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"