Author Topic: Rookie draft - picks 11, 27 & 42  (Read 6406 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: rookie draft
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:12:51 AM »
People said the same about Tippett's brother for years - we badly need cover for Chaplin, no-one is big/strong enough bar Griffith who'll never be a defender and Rance is as useless as t@s on a bull at fullback.

Nelson's easily good enough for a rookie spot, better than Nahas. Hell I still think Willie Wheeler deserved a shot. We gave Robbie Hicks a go and Nelson's ten times better.

Tuck only needs to emulate his brother, not Deledio or Cotchin, would take him over Thomas everyday.

Didn't know Tsitas missed out - we definitely should be all over him.
I don't think Tippett is big and strong enough to play Chaplin's role tbh. His defensive game is ordinary.

Nelson has too small a frame. Agree he's better than Nahas but that doesn't mean much. There are better options for mine. Combe and Tsitas for example, both have the frames to make an impact at AFL level and both have solid attributes. The types you can turn into role players off the rookie list.

I'd prefer neither. Tuck isn't the same as his brother IMO. Thomas has played better at SANFL level than Tuck. Neither of them are up to AFL level.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:43:46 AM »
People said the same about Tippett's brother for years - we badly need cover for Chaplin, no-one is big/strong enough bar Griffith who'll never be a defender and Rance is as useless as t@s on a bull at fullback.

Nelson's easily good enough for a rookie spot, better than Nahas. Hell I still think Willie Wheeler deserved a shot. We gave Robbie Hicks a go and Nelson's ten times better.

Tuck only needs to emulate his brother, not Deledio or Cotchin, would take him over Thomas everyday.

Didn't know Tsitas missed out - we definitely should be all over him.
I don't think Tippett is big and strong enough to play Chaplin's role tbh. His defensive game is ordinary.

Nelson has too small a frame. Agree he's better than Nahas but that doesn't mean much. There are better options for mine. Combe and Tsitas for example, both have the frames to make an impact at AFL level and both have solid attributes. The types you can turn into role players off the rookie list.

I'd prefer neither. Tuck isn't the same as his brother IMO. Thomas has played better at SANFL level than Tuck. Neither of them are up to AFL level.

Tippett's not a hulk like his brother but he's good enough size and can still get bigger. We badly need depth in that area and he's relatively experienced having been in the system for 7 years and is at that make or break last chance age for a KPP. A desperation pick perhaps but there's just really nobody to cover Chaplin at all IMO.

If it came down to a choice between Nelson & Tsitas then yes I'd take Tsitas. I'd take Templeton over both though.

Travis is poor man's Shane it's true  - but he'll only be depth off the rookie list - his disposal is no worse than Shane's ever was and never gets down to the consistently appalling level of Thomas' -  Thomas is all crash & bash and nothing else - Tuck at least has some other qualties that are at least serviceable. Would hardly be devastated if we took neither of them myself but Travis is at least worth a look IMO.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 04:19:37 AM »
My hope is that with 2 x 23yo's we take kids in the rookie draft. Depth is good now.

Templeton
Bourke
Favretto

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Rookie Draft preview: Who will earn a second chance?

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
November 22, 2013

Here's some names who will be in contention next Wednesday morning.

Eli Templeton: The Tasmanian midfielder was unlucky to miss out but runs well, kicks well and had a good season. Has some AFL qualities.

James Battersby: A half-back flanker who had a great under-18 championships for South Australia. Collects possessions, is solid with the ball and has a mature frame.

Darcy Hourigan: Won All Australian honours after a standout NAB AFL Under-18 Championships campaign as a key forward, kicking 16 goals. Big and strong.

Kayne Turner: Linked to North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs in the lead-up to the draft, the young hard-at-it midfielder remains a chance to be selected next week.

Blaine Johnson: Thumping right-footer who presents hard at the ball and sticks marks. Kicked 11 goals for Western Australia at the under-18 championships.

Fraser Fort: A tall defender who made some progress at the end of the season. Can also shift forward and kicked 14 goals at TAC Cup level. Is competitive and stands 196cm, a good size for a developing player.

Darcy Cameron: The ruckman was seen as a chance to get selected at the national draft but missed out. His best chance is as a rookie, with clubs more likely to take one in that spot and let them develop.

Matthew Sully: Mature-ager who improved in the VFL this year for Geelong. At 20 clubs know what they're getting and have seen his development in 2013. Powerful key defender. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-22/who-will-earn-a-second-chance

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
Astbury and McIntosh should be able cover Chaplin now.

What rucks are left

Astbury is cover for Grimes. McIntosh is a hbf/mid.

Rucks -

Darcy Cameron , Cameron Conlon (R/F), Bathie from Geelong who's been invited to train with us.

Renouf if we're desperate and stupid.

Darrou is not required?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »

What rucks are left

Rucks -

Darcy Cameron , Cameron Conlon (R/F), Bathie from Geelong who's been invited to train with us.

Darrou is not required?
Big Dazzaaaaaaaaa  :clapping :clapping

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »

What rucks are left

Rucks -

Darrou is not required?

He's absolutely required and should be upgraded IMO, but he's not cover for Chaplin. Josh Gibson type.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
Grimes -> Darrou
AlexRance -> mcintosh
Chaplin -> astbury

Or there abouts

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
Astbury's not fullback material, he's barely backline material period. Another one playing at the wrong end IMO.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Why didn't we just get Gordon and Lloyd in the rookie draft ?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
You guarantee they'd be there?  ;)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »

Exactly! That is exactly what we should have done!

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »

Yes. They would've been there.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »

Yes. They would've been there.

Agree.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 05:39:47 PM »
Which players from 51 onwards u gents upset we didn't get ?